Parent/Children Task Entries

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

behofmann

Parent/Children Task Entries

Post by behofmann »

Hello,

I'm using EssentialPIM Pro Portable 7.52 and I have problems with this and prior versions using recurring tasks. I'm able to setup a monthly recurring parent task with monthly recurring one to many children tasks, but when the new month comes around I only receive the parent entry. I have to each month add the same children tasks again.

Is this a bug or should I be using siblings instead of children? Based on definition, children should be the correct entry for parent sub-tasks? Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon
Max
Site Admin

Re: Parent/Children Task Entries

Post by Max »

Hello,

children tasks have own Recurrence settings, thus recurring Parent task does not cause children to recur.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
behofmann

Post by behofmann »

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I see children tasks have their own recurrence settings as parents do, but how do you make parent/children tasks recur together monthly as a set? I have a recurring monthly set of tasks that I want to show up continually like:

Balance Credit Cards --> parent task
Credit Card --> child task
Credit Card 2 --> child task
etc --> child task

Each above child task collapses when minimizing parent task.

Thanks,

Brandon
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

how do you make parent/children tasks recur together monthly as a set?
There is no feature to do that, but will consider it for implementing.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

I think it would be much easier and more versatile to add the possibility to change the due date for several selected tasks at once. That`s the most annoying missing feature since switching from Outlook 2002 (!) to EPIM six months ago. I miss this feature on a daily basis because I have to move unstarted tasks from day to day. And I think it would be easy to implement. In the context menu I already can change category, tasks, status etc. for several selected tasks at once. Why not due date? Thanks! Michael
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

in what cases would you like to change Due date for multiple tasks? Trying to understand for how many users this feature could be useful.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Max, I have 20 tasks for today. And at the end of the day I have 10 of them to move to the next day. And that is happening every day... Moving a set or group of tasks to other days or weeks should be necessary for almost every heavy user of a task manager.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

logies wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm Max, I have 20 tasks for today. And at the end of the day I have 10 of them to move to the next day. And that is happening every day... Moving a set or group of tasks to other days or weeks should be necessary for almost every heavy user of a task manager.
Thank you, clear.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Ivy
Novice

Post by Ivy »

It's many years ago since I put my eyes on EPIM for the first time. The reason why I didn't switch from outlook to EPIM was and is still that it is not possible to move many tasks from one due date to another in just one step. Exactly what this user had requested.
EPIM has meanwhile some features that outlook has not and I would really like to switch but as long as this essential feature ist missing I cannot. It is a bit of dissapointing that in this post from 2004 (!) has just been abendoned.
Every few months (or years) I'm coming back to EPIM to see what changed, and I'm still waiting...
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Ivy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm The reason why I didn't switch from outlook to EPIM was and is still that it is not possible to move many tasks from one due date to another in just one step.
Of course I`m still missing this feature. Bulk changing of "begin date" and "due date" should be easy to implement. Even a simple and free web app like Quire can do that within its context menu.