EPIM Pro Network slow as molasses

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

jim999
Guru

EPIM Pro Network slow as molasses

Post by jim999 »

Using EPIM network version on single user network just so that I can sync the database with EPIM sync with the desktop, AMD 3500+ XP SP3 w 2GB RAM. On the desktop the response time from EPIM Network is horrendous. I can click on TO DO on the left hand panel and it can be close to 10 secs before the existing ToDos are displayed. Any idea why EPIM Network is so unresponsive on the machine where Firebird and the data base is located?
Max
Site Admin

Re: EPIM Pro Network slow as molasses

Post by Max »

I have only one idea- Firewall. It may try to filter even local packets. Try disabling it for a minute.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I disabled the software firewall and my antivirus and no difference. Even clicking on the Menu bar may take several secs for the the drop down list to appear. Clicking between EPIM today and ToDo or to Schedule and then back again may take 4 secs for the respective window to display the data.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

The problem is FIrebird server. If I disconnect from the DB and simply open the EPIM data file on the same machine on which Firebird and Epim is installed the response time is a lot better.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Well, when "opening" file directly, you are also using Firebird (just another version).
Can you tell what version of Firebird you have installed? (just go to Start-> Programs-> Firebird and see Firebird readme)
Try uninstalling this version and install latest: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/firebi ... _Win32.exe
(you need Classic version). There is a great chance problems will go away.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Well was using 1.5.5 so I uninstalled it and downloaded and installed 2.1 using Classic option during install. Do not see any difference. I can click back and forth between EPIM Today, ToDo and Schedule and some times the response is fine and other times its 5 seconds before the information appears in the window.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I am left only with one reason which I considered before highly unlikely- database. Can you make a copy of database and send it to me so that I can try to reproduce it (of course you can change your data, just make sure the slowliness persists)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Sent the DB via PM.
ddelprop
Novice

Post by ddelprop »

I was wondering if there was a resolution to the problem. I too am experiencing the same problem(s)
What I noticed was the problem started after the first SYNC. I get countless duplicates of records in notes or tasks.
After that the database is larger and runs very slow.

-Dan
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

ddelprop wrote:I was wondering if there was a resolution to the problem. I too am experiencing the same problem(s)
What I noticed was the problem started after the first SYNC. I get countless duplicates of records in notes or tasks.
After that the database is larger and runs very slow.

-Dan
We are investigating.
What "SYNC" do you mean? What version (number) are you using?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
ddelprop
Novice

Post by ddelprop »

EPIM Synchronizer version 2.8 & Latest version of EPIM

Thanks,
Dan
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Since there are no new posts here and as I have been having shutdown problems with Windows XP SP3 (saying Task and Reminders was hanging) I have uninstalled Firebird and have gone back to the standalone version of EPIM.
Path Ways
Novice

Post by Path Ways »

Hi Max,
I notice this same problem came up in 2007. We have started using 3 users on a peer to peer winxp setup. One user books calendar appointments on the other two. That worked fairly speedily. However, when we all wanted to access a file with 8,500 clients [and nothing else] the response time fell to glacial. The person who had the data file on her machine had to wait every time she entered new data. The other two users when they tried to access the file for the first time, the load time was in minutes. If the first person loads the file directly from her own machine, the time is acceptable. We are still back on 3.04 because we were having problems with the 3.0 etc. upgrade.
As a separate issue, we sometimes get error messages blocking the sharing of files saying we need to purchase a network licence [we have].
We want to use Epim because if its speedy search capabilities but this slow sharing is a drag in every sense of the word.
Any thoughts.

thanks
Glenn