New User network

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PsiJoe1945
Novice

New User network

Post by PsiJoe1945 »

1. I am a lone software developer, have two machines and a number of Virtual machines. Can I buy just the network version and pay for a single user and be able to install the client in each of my locations? Of course there's only one of me so I would only log on from one location at a time.

2. I read here about installing on a ubuntu server. Is that possible on a desktop version of ubuntu? I'm not a linux expert by a longshot. I just installed Ubuntu last week and put one of my vm's on it and they run noticably faster than on Vista.

Thanks
Max
Site Admin

Re: New User network

Post by Max »

Hi,

1- yes, you can, but if you are alone using it, what's the need for this? Desktop version can open database files on local disks, so you could use Desktop in each installation?
2- Yes, you could do it. Here is how people did it:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6743&p=33933&hilit=ubuntu#p33933
Maxim,
EPIM Team
PsiJoe1945
Novice

Post by PsiJoe1945 »

I was hoping to keep global information in the database that would be usable in every one of my environments -- eg website logon information, links, to-do's, code snippets, etc., I only need to access them from one environment at a time. I would not like to switch to the host for example to get the todo list for the program I'm working on. I don't see how this can be done without the network version.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Suppose you install EPIM in all systems you use. You put database on one of the local disks that's accessible from any system you use. You boot in one system, use EPIM, close it. Boot into another system, use EPIM (same database), close it. What looks wrong for you in this?
Maxim,
EPIM Team