nature of the network, synchronisation

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

chrislaarman

nature of the network, synchronisation

Post by chrislaarman »

Pardon me if I should have overlooked an obvious answer or resource.
I am on day 1 of an evaluation period.

This is my situation:
- 1 Windows Mobile 6.1 device (indispensible)
- 1 Windows Mobile 5.0 device (fall-back)
- 2 Windows XP devices (1 in use, 1 reserve)
- 2 Windows Vista devices (1 in daily use, 1 dedicated) with Microsoft Outlook licenses
- 1 Windows 7 64-bit device (dedicated)
I'm the only user of all this.

I tend to have one or two of the "desktop" devices up. (Three are notebooks.)

I wonder if I could proliferate changes to the database on every device by having (at least) two devices (desktop or mobile) up at the same time (and connected).
That would be the ActiveSync way, and I would like that. But the diagram at http://www.essentialpim.com/pr.php?imag ... etwork.gif suggests a model with a server that has to be up, in order to allow clients to poll it.

I tried to find out by installing unregistered copies of Essential Pro Network on two desktop devices, but I was not allowed (in this unregistered state, I assume) to connect to the database on the other device. Nor could I connect to a mobile device (as I don't notice an evaluation version of the Windows Mobile add-on), to see things happen there.

Question 1: So. which way does synchronisation work?

Question 2: How does using the EPIM Synchronizer compare against using the Network edition?

Question 3: Based on the Pro (no network) license conditions, I would need 3 licenses to cover all my devices. Based on the Network edition, I would need 5?

Thanks in advance. :-)

--
Chris Laarman
Max
Site Admin

Re: nature of the network, synchronisation

Post by Max »

I would not mix the Network and Windows Mobile synchronizations.
Anyway, in your case please remember that- in order to synchronize Desktop machine to the server, you need to have open ports and server properly installled. In this case you would be able to synchornize two databases over Internet using EPIM Sync.
Once you have synchronized databases, you can synchronize WM device.
EPIm Sync without Network edition can synchronize only local databases, that are on the same computer.
Maxim,
EPIM Team