Please check before posting or you post may be ignored.

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Max
Site Admin

Please check before posting or you post may be ignored.

Post by Max »

Hi everyone,

we are grateful for any technical questions or bug reports our users post. It lets us know that something went wrong and gives us a chance to help you.
However, most of the time we spend not on fixing the issue, but rather on finding out basic details of what's happening.

To help us and you, please make sure that your post contains following information:

- EssentialPIM full version and edition number. Example: "EPIM Pro 5.03"
- Other software (if involved) full version and bit number. Example: "Outlook 2012 64 bit"
- Windows version and edition and bit number. Example: "Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate"
Maxim,
EPIM Team
lezp
Novice

Re: Moving EPIM data from my old computer to my new one

Post by lezp »

This is a stupid question, I'm sure, but I am stuck. I have replaced my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1) with a new one (Windows 10 Home), and need to move the data from the old to the new machine. The old EPIM version was 7.24. I have downloaded v.7.51 and installed it on the new machine. I have tried exporting the Contacts onto a memory stick using a .txt file, then importing the data, likewise the Notes, but they do not appear in the new program in a readily usable format. I am obviously doing something hopelessly wrong, but I don't know what. Can anyone help?
PeCe
Guru

Re: Please check before posting or you post may be ignored.

Post by PeCe »

why are you trying to move data using exports like .txt?
If you copy the *.epim database from the old computer to the memory stick and than to the new computer, then you can open that database in 7.51.

7.51 will do the necessary conversion.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Thanks for this, but it doesn't take me any further. The only suffixes I have in the EssentialEPIM folder are .wav .dll .chm .chw .exe .msg .log .txt and .manifest (plus the folders Language and Reports). I have no idea which is the database file. When the program is open, it lists three files with the suffix .epim, but they are not visible in any file handling software I have, nor can the Windows Search facility find them. Can you please help me locate them?
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I guess that you are using the desktop version of 7.24 (old computer) and 7.51 (new computer). Otherwise the data would be (most logically) in a subfolder of the EssentialEPIM folder.

First the most easy solution for exporting the EPIM database. When you start EPIM on the old computer it should open your database. When you have EPIM with your database, then choose for [file] and [save as], then you can redirect the location and save your file on the memory stick. Then you can copy it to the new computer.

Finding the default locations of the database can be done several ways;
EPIM_database_location.JPG
Looking at the title in the bar above the menu options.

Assuming you use the desktop version and if you have access to the users-folder it should be in;
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM Pro or in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM Pro\databases
Where "yourname" is the name that you use on that computer.

The third way to find out the location is using [file] and [save as], the first location it points to is the default location where your database resides.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

It worked! Wnderful!
Thank you very much.
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

I was wrong. It worked until I tried to close EPIM - at which point it claimed that it could nnot write to the media, possible because the removable media had been removed. It was correct - I had removed my memmory stick. Now I keep getting messages to say that it cannot save, both on starting EPIM and on closing it. It just refuses to behave. Even when I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, copied the data file into the EPIM folder, and opened it from there, it is still complaining that the removable media has been removed.
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I guess you did not copy the data from the memorystick to a new location on you hard-drive.
Than EPIM.INI will remember the last used location and complain it can't find the database.
Uninstall en reinstall won't help, because EPIM.ini (located in your C:user folder) won't be deleted. That is why even after the new installation you get that error message.

First to do is make sure you copy (or have copied) the *.EPIM database to the new location. That may be the C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM Pro\databases folder or another folder you desire.
Then start EPIM (with or without the memory-stick).
If you get the error message, ignore it and after clicking twice on <OK> you get an "empty" window.
Click on [file] and [open], navigate to the folder where your *.EPIM database is located and open that file.
From now on you can work with your database as you are/were used to do.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Thanks for this.
1. I am using the free version of EPIM. I found it in C:\Program Files(X86)\EssentialPIM. There were the files I had copied across.
2. I then used IOBit Uninstaller to uninstall the program, and used their Powerful Uninstall to remove residual files - which included the .ini file.
3. I then reinstalled EPIM (free). I reinserted the memory stick and copied across my two .epim files into the EPIM directory. I then removed the memory stick.
4. To my amazement, the program opened showing my main .epim file data, complete with the message complaining that it couldn't run normally because I removed the memory stick. I ignored that, and imported the .epim file from its new location.
After a false start, it is now running fine, with no error messages.
So -THANK YOU VERY MUCH. i think this time, we have at last solved the problem.
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Yesterday, I thought this problem was at last solved.
I was wrong.
This morning, EPIM resumed its antics. I opened the program, and it opened showing the database I principally use, with the old error message about an error on opening. I used the File-->Open command, and there were all my old files, including backup files from two days ago. I have no idea where they came from, because I had used IOBit Uninstaller to remove the program, and then its Powerful Scan to remove all residual files, one of which was the .ini file.
I started again. I re-used IOBit Uninstaller, including its Powerful Scan to remove EPIM. I then copied the original .epim files to a different directory on my hard drive. I then reinstalled EPIM, and opened it - and there was all the data from my principal .epim file. It also gave me the old error message about an error opening EPIM. I copied the original files from their temporary home on my hard drive into the EPIM directory, and tried to open them. Each time, I got the same old error messages, one about being unable to start the progam normally, and another about the removable disk being removed.
So I am back where I started. I cannot start the program without error messages, and I cannot get rid of the old data files. I have no idea where the program is hiding them when I am uninstalling, but it refuses to forget them.
Help!
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Too bad that you still get error messages. Windows default "hides" some files like in "documents and settings" and EPIM DESKTOP uses this folder too, like many other programs. Further then that to my knowledge no files are "hidden".

That there are backup files from the last two days will be a parameter setting. Default EPIM creates backup files and saves the last 3 files.

Why files remain after uninstalling with IOBit I can not explain, I know the name and how uninstallers work, but that is it.

I guess you will have to provide a number of screenshots of the messages and hope that Max or Admin can help you.

The only solution I can think of is again?!? uninstall EPIM and DOWNLOAD the portable version. With the portable version you can use everything in one folder and have your data in a databases folder in the EPIM program folder. Then EPIM only recognizes the information from the portable location. Which can be a harddrive or memory-stick, what you want.

I use the portable version in stead of the desktop, because I can use it at home, at work, on a memory-stick, USB-drive etc. where I want.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Just try uninstalling EPIM, then searching your computer for EPIM.ini file and delete it as well (it should be in c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM\). Then install EPIM Free and use File-> Open to open your database. Do not use external "uninstallers", they make problem worse.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Max

Thank you for noticing my probllem. Since reading your reply, I did the following:-
I used the Windows10 Uninstall tool to unistall EPIM.
I then looked for the epim.ini file. First I looked for the directory you mentioned, but I could not find it. I used Windows10 Search facility to look for epim.ini, but it couldn't find it either. I used the search facility of my favoured file-handling program, Total Commander, with equal lack of success. Then I searched for AppData, but no result either. I tried with Windows10 Search (no files found), then Total Commander - nothing found.
I used Windows search facility to look for *.ini, which produced 1930 files - I went down the list slowly, looking at the ends of the file names, but no epim.ini. I tried changing to "Show hidden files" and repeated my search for epim.ini using the Windows Search facility, with no results.
The only files I found that even might be relevant were
\Users\User\Documents\Temp EPIM
\Users\User\Documents\Temp\EPIM_scrn.jpg
\Users\User\Documents\Temp EPIM\EPIM GotT.odt (an OpenOffice Writer file)
\Users\User\Documents\Temp EPIM\EPIM scrn.jpg
also the 2 data files (*.epim) that I copied into my downloads folder to take the removable disk problem out of the picture
and finally two more that are probably totally irrelevant, but were
\Windows\NF\ESENT\0000\esentprf,ini
\Windows\NF\ESENT\0489\esentprf.ini
I guess I am still not winning.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

if there is no EPIM.ini file on your computer- that's fine, just install EPIM Free.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Max - You are absolutely right. I couldn't see the wood for the trees this time. i have been able to reload my personal files from the Downloads directory to which I copied them, and all is now running normally at last. I still don't know what I did right, but if it worked, who cares! :-)

Many thanks to PeCe and to you.