Multiple Backup Files (more than three)

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Esscat

Multiple Backup Files (more than three)

Post by Esscat »

Based on what I have read, it looks like EssentialPIM is supposed to keep three versions of the backup file.

I have noticed that I have a new backup file created every day. As a result, I now have about 70 files.... which will keep growing forever. I can't see any way to alter settings to adjust this. Is there some bug or workaround so I can have only three backup files?

I am using EssentialPIM 7.24 on Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium, 64 bit.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Backup Files (more than three)

Post by Max »

EPIM Free should save the last 3 backups. Please make sure that EPIM can delete files from the backup location-> change backup location.
EPIM Pro has feature to adjust number of backups to store.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Esscat

Post by Esscat »

Thanks, Maxim .... that got me looking more in to the details of where the files are located.

In the database folder (c:\users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM), I do see only three database files (the three most recent dates.)

However, where I initially saw the issue (and still see the issue) is in folder c:\users\xxxx\My Documents. In that folder, I get a new file every day. It has the same naming convention as the backup file.

It's as if a backup is being written to the database folder, and the (n-3) version is correctly deleted, and at the same time, the same file is written (or copied) to the My Documents folder. The names of the three most recent files are exactly the same in both folders, and they also have the same Date Modified. No backup files are deleted from the My Documents folder, causing the buildup that I see.

Not sure why I have the files in both places.... since they are in the database folder, I really don't need them in the My Documents folder also.

Appreciate any recommendations to stop the duplicate files.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

it may be that it's not EPIM who is creating files in c:\users\xxxx\My Documents
Maybe some other backup software or script?
Also, as I mentioned, try changing the location of the backup folder for a test.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Esscat

Post by Esscat »

Thanks, you were right - some other program was creating the files there. Thanks for your help - I have it figured out now.