EssentialPIM 8.66 copy-paste bug

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

rirri

EssentialPIM 8.66 copy-paste bug

Post by rirri »

I recently installed version 8.66 and noticed I can no longer sign in to sites by copying and pasting my password from the Passwords page. Usually, I would click on the password, it would be highlighted, I would type CTRL-C, then switch windows and type CTRL-V to paste my password. After the recent upgrade, I saw my password fields would have many more characters in them. At first I thought that was a security feature, but the pasted passwords always failed.

I then pasted my copied password into Notepad++ and saw this:

Title: Essential PIM forum
User Name: rirri
Password: xxxxxxxx

This is obviously much more than just my password. If I click-and-drag over my password I get the same pasted results. I see no option controlling this behavior. Can we please revert to the old behavior in an upcoming version?
Keldi
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM 8.66 copy-paste bug

Post by Keldi »

They probably just changed the default shortcut at some point so CTRL+C now copies the full entry. Changing the shortcut in options should work:
Tools - Options - Shortcuts
In Passwords - Copy Password - CTRL+C
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

You can also right-click on entry and select "Copy Password"
Maxim,
EPIM Team
rirri

Post by rirri »

Thanks for the quick suggestions and apologies for the lateness of my response.
I changed the shortcut for Copy Password to Ctrl-C, but it still copied the entire entry. I think I'll just have to get used to using Ctrl-Alt-P, instead.
I found "Copy" in the right-click menu (not "Copy Password"), but that feels like more steps.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

By default in EPIM Portable 8.66.1 the right-click menu looks like this for me:
epim_copy-password-default.png
epim_copy-password-default.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 4166 times

After I change the shorcut
epim_copy-password-settings.png

it looks like this
epim_copy-password-ctr+c.png
epim_copy-password-ctr+c.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
and when the entry is highlighted, CTRL+C copies just the password, not the full entry.

And also, just double-clicking on the password with the left mouse button works for copying the password too:
epim_copy-password-double-click.png
epim_copy-password-double-click.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
---------------
Never mind, while taking screenshots, I think I finally have figured out what you were talking about all along.
And it really looks like a bug.

@Max
In the edit window, when you are trying to copy any selected text (in the title/name/password/notes/....), it always copies the full entry instead.
For example, here
epim_copy-password-edit.png
epim_copy-password-edit.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
instead of 'text' on Ctrl+C it'll copy:
Title: title
User Name: login
Password: password
Notes: text
EPIM Pro doesn't have this issue, but the free version of EPIM does, both 8.66.1 and 9.0RC2.
Funnily enough, the other system-standard shortcut Ctrl+Insert works for copying just fine everywhere, in Pro & Free both.
rirri

Post by rirri »

I feel vindicated. :-)

Definitely seeing a different right-click menu, no doubt because I'm using the Free version (this is right forum for that, right?). I'll try to get used to using Ctrl-Alt-P (since Ctrl-Insert seems to not work, either) while I await a fix.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

rirri wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 pmDefinitely seeing a different right-click menu, no doubt because I'm using the Free version
All the screenshots were actually made in the free version (EssentialPIM Portable 8.66 to be precise) ... It's the right click menu in the list of the passwords, it shouldn't be any different.
And I probably made it all confusing.

I started on about copying the password from the table of the passwords (that's where the right-click menu option, double-clicking on the ••••••••, the shortcut from the Tools>Options>Shortcuts and the separate button at the top can copy the password). Ctrl+Insert doesn't (and shouldn't?) work there.

And then I found the bug with selecting text when the entry is open to edit (the last screenshot). The right-click menu there doesn't have 'Copy Password', but the Ctrl+Insert works despite the bug. At least, it does for me. :D

I hope I made it more clear now.
rirri

Post by rirri »

I'm not using the Portable version so perhaps that explains the difference.

I was right-clicking in lower pane of the password screen. Now I've learned to select "Copy Password" from the upper pane (or use Ctrl-Alt-P). You've saved me a step. Thanks!
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

In the edit window, when you are trying to copy any selected text (in the title/name/password/notes/....), it always copies the full entry instead.
For example, here
thank you, reproduced the issue, will fix.
Maxim,
EPIM Team