Sync Problems: Calendar and Contacts

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sync Problems: Calendar and Contacts

Post by admin »

Thanks for the log, but it's an empty one. Please also try to get rid of all the duplicates as on your phone as in EPIM, then clear the sync data (I talk about that in the post above yours) and then synchronize using a 2-way sync.

With regards to duplicates in contacts. I create a new group (Test) in EPIM, place a contact there. After synchronization with Android the contact is only in the Test group and being shown once in the list of all contacts. Therefore cannot confirm your assumption about duplicates in contacts, unfortunately.

At the same time If you notice any pattern for duplicate entries, please let us know asap. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

Dear Admin,

I've tried your suggestion to delete all duplicate entries for the Calendar on the Desktop and clear the Andriod sync data under Data Management. I then performed a 2-way sync. The result is, I get duplicate Calendar entries on both the Android and Desktop this time (worse than before!). Although I can replace the database on the desktop by a backup copy, I do not know how to clear all the duplicate entries on my Android.

I am attaching the log. Please have a look and see what was wrong. By the way, I have sync. the EssentialPIM Pro to both Google and iPad. Does it make any difference?

William
Attachments
AndroidSync_2012_11_10_17_57_02.log
(197.23 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Dr. Richard Williams
Novice

Post by Dr. Richard Williams »

Follow up to your suggestions. I made your suggested changes but the calendar events still disappear from the Android and open desktop calendar file as well (I make several backups on the pc (your program) so that is fine. By the way, the contact information does not seem to be affected, it is only the calendar. So, what other suggestions might you have?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

NoteIILTE wrote:Dear Admin,

I've tried your suggestion to delete all duplicate entries for the Calendar on the Desktop and clear the Andriod sync data under Data Management. I then performed a 2-way sync. The result is, I get duplicate Calendar entries on both the Android and Desktop this time (worse than before!). Although I can replace the database on the desktop by a backup copy, I do not know how to clear all the duplicate entries on my Android.

I am attaching the log. Please have a look and see what was wrong. By the way, I have sync. the EssentialPIM Pro to both Google and iPad. Does it make any difference?

William
Thanks for the log, will check what's wrong there. What you can do to delete all the duplicate entries from your Adnroid device is to create a new database file in EPIM. Then synchronize your phone with that database. Then run EPIM Archiver/DupreRemover on the database and remove all the duplicate entries and then sync back again. Do not forget to clear up the sync data in your main EPIM database file before first sync with your phone after the removal of duplicates.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dr. Richard Williams and I assume you're on the latest EPIM for Windows version 5.03?
Dr. Richard Williams
Novice

Yes, I am. Today (the 11th) I did four sync's. In 3 of them it deletes calendar events on both the PC & the Android. The fourth time it appears to have worked but I have no categories on the android. I went through all of your suggestions and still the same results.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All of the calendar events are being deleted or just some of them? And there should not be any categories in Android as native Android calendar doesn't support categories.
Dr. Richard Williams
Novice

They are ALL erased; both on the Android and also with EPIM on my laptop. On my laptop I can open up a backup copy of course. This is getting old.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please clear the sync data, synchronize and forward us the log file after that. Thanks.
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

admin wrote:All of the calendar events are being deleted or just some of them? And there should not be any categories in Android as native Android calendar doesn't support categories.
Well, the Android on my Note II Lte (I think it is 4.1.1) supports categories and my very first sync with android have the categories properly replicated to Android. However, when I use an android app "DeleteContacts" to remove all the contact and later syncing again, the categories never got properly replicated. All the contacts go under "My contact" and I didn't have any luck to get the categories back.

William
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

William, seems you're talking about contact groups. You need to reset sync after deleting all the contacts from your device (File->Database Management->Clear sync data for Android). Should work as expected then.
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

Dear Admin,

I've got all my problems (groups, contacts, calendar) resolved with the help of EPIM Archiver/DupRemover. It is a great tools!

William
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

William, thanks for the info, glad to hear that.
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

Dear Admin,

Recently, I have Whatsapp installed and when it initialized, it searched its own database and added a Whatsapp icon to those contact entries who have registered with Whatsapp. The problem is, when it is synchronized with EssentialPro, those entries with Whatsapp connection will be duplicated to the "My Contract" root group on EssentialPro Desktop. They were not detected as duplicate by the Archiver/DupRemover. If I manually removed those entries, the Whatsapp icon will be removed from the phone and I do not want it to happen.

What I'd like to have is: EssentialPro synchronization would recognize the Whatsapp connection without duplicating those entries to EssentialPro Desktop during synchronization. Could it be done?

William
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you please copy-paste 2 duplicate contacts that you get after synchronization from your database file into a new one and then forward us that sample database file? Will see what's the difference in between the contacts. Thanks.