Some serious privacy concerns

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
admin
Site Admin

Re: Some serious privacy concerns

Post by admin »

What's the firewall name?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, so far the firewall app didn't show any outbound connection requests for AEPIM on our side even after couple of hours testing..
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

This is really strange as I have this effect on three devices (Android 5.1/8.1/9.0). So it could be related to some personal settings I changed on all of them, although no system or app setting (beside the one which allows this explicitly) should affect whether EPIM for Android contacts remote servers or not.

I just checked one of my devices (the Samsung tablet with Android 8.1): The last connection attempts took place yesterday at 23:08 MEST. The tablet was in sleep mode at that time! No further connection attempts during the past hours, so it seems to be appear under some rare condition. One of these conditions could be an app update as two connection attempts appeared immediately after the update.

lk
Dualuser
Novice

Post by Dualuser »

The main reason why I use EPIM on Android an PC is, that I do not want information on my contact or my note in the cloud, at google, Facebook, NSA etc. And I expect that you will block any spying without explicit user approval.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Amen. I'd go even further and say: In an app which deals with VERY private information (such as addresses, phone numbers, calendar entries) no code which connects to any analytics service should be present, even not via opt-in.

Alas, lt looks as if the developers don't want to improve anything here. They don't take this issue seriously, as this ticket is now almost 5 (five) years old. In former (read: better) times there was a web page http://essentialpim.com/anti-prism focusing on privacy. This web page was removed a long time ago but you can still read it here:
It looks as if they are intentionally breaking their own former promises.

I have stopped recommending EPIM to other people since then exactly for this reason. There are many people relying on my IT knowledge, in particular concerning privacy topics. I can not square it with my conscience anymore.

lk