EPIM not detected by System Dialer

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Ram8
Experienced

EPIM not detected by System Dialer

Post by Ram8 »

Hello,

I use a seperate Anroid phone for travel overseas: HTC Desire 526GPlus. The system dialer is not detecting the EPIM database. I had to sync with Google contacts as a workaround while traveling recently. Suggested solution for this?
running EPIM Pro 5.6.2 on Android 9 and EPIM Pro 8.53.1 on Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Re: EPIM not detected by System Dialer

Post by admin »

Did you set Android EPIM to use the system account? If not, please change that by tapping on Menu->Settings->Contacts->Use EPIM system account.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

Thanks for your reply Admin. Yes, I set 'Use EPIM system account.' In native phone app, on Menu->People->Menu->Accounts :: EPIM does not show up. Also in native phone app, on Menu->People->Menu->Contacts to Display :: EPIM does not show up. Note: this phone uses Android version 4.4.2
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will the EPIM's account be shown in the system settings? We tested the feature on Android 4.1.2, it worked as expected. It was a Samsung device, not a HTC one, though..
Alfhw
Guru

Post by Alfhw »

I have a Samsung S4 with stock android 4.4.2 and it works as expected so the problem is maybe in the HTC dialer.
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

The EPIM's account does not show up in system settings (HTC Desire 526GPlus).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe there's not enough permissions for EPIM to use its system account? Please check that in the system settings.
beachboybogart
Novice

Post by beachboybogart »

I have the answer. I spent many days figuring this out. Unfortunately, and frustratingly, there is no documentation that properly covers this.

During import of your contacts from your email client (I use a .csv file when exporting from PostBox), you are given a chance to MAP the fields you are importing. The Map Fields box is on the upper right corner of the Import session. There is no explanation to be found anywhere. And this step is most important, because it will determine where (or if) you phone numbers will be dialable when you sync to your phone app.

Any Home Phone number must be mapped to PHONE. Any Mobile Number must be mapped to MOBILE. And so on. If you do those two, you will be able to dial (assuming you have selected the Local Account option in the app). Any field called Notes is auto-mapped to NOTES in the EPIM desktop program, but does not display. Why? Who knows; I'm askthing support.

I haven't had a chance to test any other mapping just yet. But truly, I don't care about the rest, as long as I can dial.

NOTE: if you are importing your contacts from the phone itself, I have no idea what happens, or whether the fields are intelligent enough to properly map.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're describing a bit different feature than the one discussed here. Although, you're right that in order to correctly synchronize your contacts data with either Android EPIM or any online service in the future, fields should be correctly mapped during import.
beachboybogart
Novice

Post by beachboybogart »

Ah, but I think I am discussing the feature being discussed, to wit: My post is how to get your numbers to dial with the system dialer on your phone, not how to map fields.

I spent days importing my contacts to the Android app, over and over, then setting the System Account, and trying to dial, which is what these folks are trying to do. Numbers would appear, but not dialable. Answers I got from support included "You need add phone fields under "Phone Numbers" section in the desktop EPIM and under "Mobile phone" section in Android EPIM. All phones will be dialable then." And this is accurate, BUT it would not then propogate, the result being only that one new entry would be dialable. That is when I discovered that it is imperative to map the fields BEFORE importing.

In fact, I have spent so long testing how to get the system dialer involved, I haven't had a chance yet to reimport my full Contacts list (in my case, with at least 3,000 contacts, it takes a loooong time).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks very much for sharing and describing the solution. I think this info might save some time to other users, as well.
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

In my case, the issue is that the HTC native phone app does not detect that EPIM exists when trying to import/sync/view the EPIM account. My issue is actually one step prior to importing. I have tried every possilble setting in this HTC 526GPlus, without success, to help it recognize EPIM.

Point noted beachboybogart. Thanks for sharing your experimentation results. I have another HTC that detects EPIM just fine. I noticed that some numbers were not showing up. This explains it. I also have a fairly large DB, approx 1500 with a lot of data in each contact entry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think we should try to find the specific HTC phone model that you mentioned and then run some tests with it in order to get a clue what's not working there.
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

That would be greatly appreciated admin. I depend on this phone when I am out of country. The HTC Desire 526GPLUS dual sim is using Android Version 4.4.2