calendar display of recurring tasks

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
kdgdr
Guru

calendar display of recurring tasks

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Until recently, for recurring tasks set to be displayed in the calendar, only one recurrence was displayed. This as opposed to recurring appointments, for which all future recurrences were displayed in the calendar as well.

I noticed recently however that now for recurring tasks set to be displayed in the calendar, all future recurrences are displayed in the calendar. But this does not seem to be the case for all such tasks. For some recurring test-tasks I added, only one task is displayed in the calendar and not all the future recurrences. Can't find any difference between tasks that display one or all future recurrences.

Is there a setting to choose between one/all future recurrences displayed?
Why different behaviour for different tasks?
Does displaying all future recurrences require a lot of resources, slowing EPIM android or the whole android phone or syncing with epim desktop down?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
admin
Site Admin

Re: calendar display of recurring tasks

Post by admin »

This seems like a bug. Please post a screenshot here with details for a task for which all future occurrences are displayed.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Just sent you a PM with screenshots with details for a task for which all future occurrences are displayed
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, got it. Are you able to reproduce it if you create a new similar task? We couldn't achieve that on our side.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Here's what happened:
- Past tuesday I wanted to go through a bunch of tasks and update them on EPIM desktop. One of the things I wanted to do was to turn a bunch of non-recurring tasks into recurring tasks. But then I noticed the issue in EPIM Desktop 8.64 that I posted here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34359
- So I decided to instead do the updates in EPIM android. So past tuesday I turned a bunch of non-recurring tasks into recurring tasks in one go on EPIM Android. It was only after editing all of these tasks that I noticed that all of them displayed every single future recurrence in the EPIM Android calendar instead of just one recurrence.
- I was actually pleased with this new "behaviour", so just to check it out the next thing I did was add a new recurring task but unfortunately that task only displayed one recurrance in EPIM Android. I thought this was strange behaviour added on top of the EPIM desktop issue (again viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34359 ) so just to be no the safe side I stopped editing tasks in EPIM android AND EPIM desktop and I created this post. Since then I haven't synced desktop/android either to avoid messing up my data in EIPM. So to answer your question: past Tuesday I was not able to reproduce.
- Tried it again this morning and as you can see in my first post in this topic, again I wasn't able to reproduce. Don't know why, that's why I posted it.

But FYI although it seems like a bug, it's one of the things Ive been wishing for years to be implemented in EPIM: an option to have either one recurrence or all recurrences of a task displayed in the calendar. Having them displayed is great for planning: it gives you a clear view of time frames that are not taken up by recurring tasks, as such indicating which time frames are free to manouvre with the non recurring stuff that's on your plate.
So in my opinion, the saying "it's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature" certainly applies in this case.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see. At the same time you continue to see the single recurring task in the Tasks module? In other words, occurrences are only visible in Calendar?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Correct, only 1 single occurrence in the task list for each recurring task regardless of how many occurrences it displays in the calendar. So the task list doesn't have this bug/feature, only the calendar so to speak.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What will happen if you tap on any of the future occurrences for the task in calendar? Could you please post a screenshot with preview of such task here?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

if i tap any of the future occurrences, nothing happens. It seems as if they are standalone occurences that have died...
Changed the recurring task itself (meaning: via the task list) to a different catagory and after that:
- the original occurrences remain, with the color of the first category that was applied (green).
- the new occurrences are added, with the color of the new category that was assigned (pink).
Screenshot attached as you requested.
P.S.: sorry for late response. For some reason I couldn't seem to login to the forum yesterday.
Attachments
EPIM Screenshot.png
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, seems these recurring tasks are broken. As to why this happened - will try to find out.

No problem about the reply time. We were updating the forum's engine to the latest version yesterday, hence some temporary glitches.