Bugs with Android calendar widgets

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
lk
Guru

Bugs with Android calendar widgets

Post by lk »

Hi there,

I'm currently experimenting with EPIM for Android (v5.80) on some devices with different Android versions (5.1, 8.1, 9.0) and found some quirks with the calendar, in particular with the widgets.

On Android 9.0 the background of the small calendar widget is always bright, no matter which design I configure in the widget settings. It's only the text colour that changes between the two designs. This does not occur on the devices with the older Android versions, here the dark background appears as configured.

See the screenshots:

Android 5.1 and 8.1:
Android_8_small.png
Android_8_small.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 3668 times

Android 9.0:
Android_9_small.png

Birthdays are shown as light cyan entries of both the calendar itself and the calendar widget although I have configured them not to be shown in the calendar. I toggled this setting twice but no change. Again this only occurs on my Android 9.0 device, the other two doesn't show them. See this screenshot:

Android_9_large.png

Longer month names appear abbreviated although there is enough room for the whole month name (see also the screenshot above). Strangely enough the month name appeared in its full length immediately after I made the screenshot (!)

lk
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bugs with Android calendar widgets

Post by admin »

#1. Confirm, will be fixed.
#2. Likely you disabled this setting after birthday events have already been created. Try to create a new contact with a birthday, will there be an event created for it?
#3. Ok, then we can consider this one as solved then.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

#1: :D

#2: Done, and indeed the now contact doesn't appear in the calendar. I also tried setting a birthday for an already existing contact formerly without one: This birthday doesn't appear either.

#3: At least this one is ugly and there must be a reason for this. Maybe it's fixable?

I just stumbled about another one (again just on my Android 9 device not on the Android 5.1 and 8.1 ones):

#4:

Today is Friday 19 February 2021, but see this screenshot:

Friday.png

"Morgen" means "Tomorrow". Ths text should read "Heute" (for "Today"), as 19 February is today. Clicking on the "Today" button doesn't fix it but after resizing the widget the text "Morgen" changes into "Heute". (Maybe this helps for debugging.)

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

#4 will check this one, thanks!
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Hi,

another observation concerning #2: A friend of mine also uses EPIM for Android (Pro version) on his Android 7.0 phone. Unlike me, he wants to see the birthdays of his contacts in the calendar, but some of them are missing there. So the opposite phenomenon also seem to occur.

We found out a workaround: After opening the contact and saving it unchanged, the birthday appeared immediately in the calendar. HTH for the debugging.

lk
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Any progress on this? EPIM for Android 6.0.1 still shows these bugs.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are unable to reproduce any of the issues on AEPIM 6.0.1.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Really? I just created this screenshot (this time on a quite new Android 12 phone):
Screenshot_2022-08-03-09-46-58-61_b783bf344239542886fee7b48fa4b892.jpg
lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's your device make and model?
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

It's a Realme 8 Pro with Android 12. Recently I updated the firmware from an older one based on Android 11, the bug was also present with this one. Furthermore I tested it on a Cubot Quest with Android 9, where this effect also occurs, not with August, but with September.

Maybe I found something which may help for debugging: I looks like the field width is calculated at some time in the code but will never be recalculated if the user moves to the next/previous month (whose names could be longer).

See these screenshots, you will recognise the problem immediately. Note the position of the arrows on the two corresponding screenshots:

This is the current situation on my Realme 8 Pro. The string "Juli" fits into the field. The longer string "August" doesn't, because the field width is exactly the same as for "Juli".
Realme_Juli.jpg
Realme_Juli.jpg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Realme_August.jpg
Realme_August.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 1948 times

This is the current situation on my Cubot Quest. The string "August" fits into the field. The longer string "September" doesn't, because the field width is exactly the same as for "August".
Cubot_August.png
Cubot_August.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Cubot_September.png
Cubot_September.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Hope this helps to find the root cause of the problem.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah yes, that's exactly the case, thanks for pointing it out. Will try to fix this in the next release already.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

#3 seems to be fixed with version 6.0.5.

#4 is still unfixed and annoying (after one and a half year!), now with Android 12, formerly with Android 11. On my Android 8.1 and 9 devices this bug doesn't appear. An additional observation: If I resize the widget the displayed list gets corrected, so obviously something happens here. So a (very ugly) workaround is: Resize the widget each morning and resize it to its original size afterwards.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will work on the #4 problem once more, thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think we got #4 fixed. Please contact me via PM, will forward you an intermediary build with a fix. Thanks!