Links to EPIM Entrys in Appointment (Text field) dont work

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Dualuser
Novice

Links to EPIM Entrys in Appointment (Text field) dont work

Post by Dualuser »

I have a problem with links on the Android side.

On the PC side I can link to an entry in the text, e.g. contacts, notes, other appointments, but on the Android side these links don't work. :(
Inserting via the add hyperlink button on the Android side a URL-like link is displayed that cannot be processed. (epim://C:\users\...)
All links added via the "verknüpfte Einträge"-Tab (linked Entry-Tab) are not linked at all.

This is very unattractive from this point of view, because some tasks span a number of appointments, and you want to access your schedule, reference info each time. And secondly, if you have recurring checklists for certain tasks that you want to tick off.

The synchronization of attachments works in the meantime. However, it would be nice if you could highlight the playback field in colour, because otherwise it is easily overlooked when a new line appears at the bottom of the screen after clicking on it.

Finally, I miss the possibility to enter checkboxes in appointments and tasks.
Think of a shopping Task, you have a list of item to collect, but you can not tick it. (A workaround using a shopping list in a "Note" would not work because the link on android are not working.

The operating system I use is Windows 7 and Android 9. I use the full version on both sides.
If this is a Windows 7 issue, I can move the programme to a Windows 10 machine.

I hope you can help, Thank you.

Best Regards
admin
Site Admin

Re: Links to EPIM Entrys in Appointment (Text field) dont work

Post by admin »

There's no such feature that would allow you to interlink different types of items with each other in Android EPIM, yet. Except for the assignees feature allowing you to assign contacts to events and tasks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Dualuser
Novice

Post by Dualuser »

Thank you, could you place it at least for appointments on your todo list. The value of linking in EPIM is limited, if you don't see it on the handheld device.
Further I would really appreciate the checkboxes in appointment and / or tasks.

Thank you
Dualuser
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure we can, both of these features are in the plans for implementation.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
marmegint
Experienced

Post by marmegint »

Execuse me! I do not understand this.
This is a basic function.

This is not a small shortcoming (error!) In a PIM application is that such a function does not exist from the beginning.
Mobile phones have taken over a huge space so far and continue to advance at an exponential rate.

There are people who no longer have a personal computer.
In the Android version, no much can be created, or what has been done in WEPIM will not appear.
The Android version should already know at least (!) that like WEPIM.

How can EPIM features be used when we are in the countryside or abroad, or just not at home?!
I read somewhere that AEPIM was actually designed as it is now, but it hasn’t enough anymore.

We would say we want to ask for more knowledge to be attributed to the Android versions!
But this can practically no longer be a request; that's what the world is about, it requires this.
We go to Mars "the day after tomorrow" and besides, a connection (neither) within a telephone (PIM) application intentionally doesn't work?!

I don't understand you(!)
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

As far as I understand the content of your post, I totally agree. Some things in AEPIM should be standard, at least as to basic content. However, I would formulate it in a less 'direct' way. Some things that are easy/normal for a user, have a more difficult background. And some things may be on a list, but with minor importance, compared to other things to do. Moreover it's people working on the other side. They cannot do more, than they do. I do know this very clearly from former times.
But maybe your words came over stronger only, than intended 😉
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
Dualuser
Novice

Post by Dualuser »

Hallo,
is there any progress in this matter? It is an issue!

There are numerous use cases for linking notes to entries in the calendar. Plans for /Agenda common to more than one date. A concept created before you have and date, a file for a protocol, and so on.

Generally, it is annoying to discover a clever helpful feature linked in the PC version and learn later, that information is not available on the device I carry with me. Such leaks are a waste of time.

Like most users, I use the android to view Information and key it in, but make the planing tuning on the PC.

It is an advantage, that attachments are now possible and linked. So, I can take a photo of an invitation with the program and add it to a date. Do you really want that notes to be written outside EPIM and linked as attachment to the entries where they are needed?

I have no interest in cloud synchronisation spare your time and get synchronisation between your apps running.

Best Regards
Dualuser