Contacts module is not system contacts app

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
poet-man
Guru

Contacts module is not system contacts app

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,
does anybody have the same behaviour?
Despite the fact, that in options EPIM is set as system account, as to contacts, Android always opens Android contacts app, when a new contact is to be stored.
So when somebody calling and I want to store that new number as contact, it's not EPIM contacts module that opens or is presented, but Android system contacts app ONLY. And there is no way to choose EPIM instead (I cannot discover it anywhere).

This situation is the same for years now.
Is this something that is on my device only or do other users have the same experience?
And is there any possibility, this will be fixed some time or is this due to Android and cannot be fixed?

Have a nice time out there!
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
poet-man
Guru

Re: Contacts module is not system contacts app

Post by poet-man »

Would be happy to get responses by anybody, telling what experience is made by others ;)
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

I have tried a few times to make EPIM the system contacts module with no success on both a Samsung S5 and S9+. Whenever I try, I can't make new contacts from phone calls or texts, the two lists (EPIM and Phone) are never in sync, and I usually end up with duplicate entries in the EPIM module.

I assumed it was me and eventually gave up.

Some kind of User Manual would be nice to at least tell users what the program should be able to do and how to do it.

Bill L
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I DO agree ... some kind of manual could help.
In my case, making new contacts from calls i.e. end up with a list, where to make a new contact (Google, tablet, etc), but NO EPIM whatsoever. So I am forced to add the contact to systems contacts ap (or in EPIM manually).
I thought it was meant to do everything by EPIM contacts module as system contacts module
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

I explored a bit more to discover that the sync between EPIM and the S9+ system app is one-way: EPIM to system only. When I make a contact on the system, I can't "sync" it into EPIM.

Can this be fixed? Can sync be made truly 2-way, to include deletions?

Bill L
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

That corresponds to what I experience.
Also I thougt, goal is to replace system app by EPIM or at least to make EPIM an alternative to choose. There still is some way to go? And what are the plans on this road?
@ kb5cth
Thanks for taking part
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin?

There is an, as yet, unanswered question asked in this thread:

Are we correct that the Android contacts cannot actually replace system contacts due to the various aspects we've discussed, or are we missing something? If your contacts module *can* replace the system contacts directly, how do we do this?

If you're unwilling to provide any kind of user guide, can you at least enlighten us about this specific topic?

Bill L