Enable Synch only for specific tree?

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Ipim19
Expert

Enable Synch only for specific tree?

Post by Ipim19 »

Is it possible to enable synching PC<>Android only for specific trees in the Notes module?

Reason:
I repeatedly experienced dataloss in the notes module after synching - sometimes severe. Most of the times I could recover it because I have set the db auto backup to the most frequent interval.
This turned out to be an unsatisfying solution, because I got so paranoid that some notes got lost again (without me notizing) after each synch that it caused too much anxiety.

I then concluded that the synch feature is just too unreliable atm to use it professionally - period. I looked for a workaround, since Andoid<> PC synch over LAN was the main reason I dicided to use EPIM in the first place.

The "solution" I came up with was to use specific trees exclusively on a certain device.
For ecample a Tablet tree, a phone tree and a PC tree and the sync options are set to one way (PC->Android)
95% of the important archived notes (in the high hundreds) are on the PC tree. I just need them updated to the mobile devices to have them available on the go.
New entries are not very frequent on the go. I add them in the correct tree while on the go and then manually move it to the main (PC) Notes.
This manually adding and sending is quite timeconsuming. So if there would be a way to set up synch in a more specific way it would help
example synch options:
tree1 - one way synch Android>PC
tree2 - one way synch Android>PC
tree3 - one way synch PC>Android

For those wondering why anyone would keep hundreds of notes - It is used like a "searchable knowledge base" with lots of articles, descriptions, workflows etc... organized in folders and subfolders (empty notes- with just a title act as folders)

Another question while I am here:
I think there is no remove duplicate notes function for Android? If so, how can it be done?
Today I somehow seemed to have 6! versions of some notes. some of the duplicate subentries seemed to even have different content
I just ended up deleting the whole tree and resync. In case I would have two way sync active without noticing the error it would have ended in complete chaos.... I don't even want to thing about it ; )
admin
Site Admin

Re: Enable Synch only for specific tree?

Post by admin »

Not possible at the moment. We'd better fix any issues with synchronization than building some sort of workarounds. To fix an issue, we'd need to see the sync log file first.

Also, duplicates removal is only available for the Windows version of EPIM atm.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Ipim19
Expert

Post by Ipim19 »

How can I help/assist in a helpful way to avoid using workarounds in the future?
Can you please specify which sync log you are referring to?

In case you mean the ones in EssentialPim\Logs folder, called "AndroidSync.... *date*time". Those I cannot share/upload though, because they contain private/sensitive data.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, these are the logs we need in order to get to the root of the issue. Maybe you can create a new test database file and sync with it, in this case no sensitive info will be included in the logs.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!