EPIM - Dark Theme

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

JoseMassa

Re: EPIM - Dark Theme

Post by JoseMassa »

Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:09 pm Would it be possible to have a dark theme in EPIM. More & more developers are providing options for coloured themes. Even EPIM Android has a dark theme.
Whilst you could argue that the dark theme in EPIM Android is to conserve battery, it also makes it very easy on the eye.

I love that EPIM is so configurable. But it's stark white background is definitely one I would change, if I could.
Dark backgrounds are good for a change, but don't you think that dark backgrounds cause a lot of eye-strain? No offence to you, but I prefer white background.
I found this amazing review of phenq
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

JoseMassa wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 am Dark backgrounds are good for a change, but don't you think that dark backgrounds cause a lot of eye-strain?
Technically speaking, it is the opposite, unless one likes a lamp shining right into one's eyes. :D :D :D
Dark background means less display light going into lenses.

It would be great if Dark Theme could be customizable. Font color, background and so on.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
GreyLion

Post by GreyLion »

+1 for Dark Mode or theme. I have a 4K monitor, and larger monitors are transitioning to becoming the new normal this year. EPIM and other programs with a lot of white space are actively painful for me to use, especially at night. Almost prevented me from buying EPIM.

Many, many developers are offering dark themes or modes as options in order to stay competitive. Google is trying to implement one now for Chrome on MacOS. There's a growing movement for dark modes on Android, as they consume less battery, since they need to light up fewer pixels.

Incidentally, here's my favorite for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... h?hl=en-US

It implements dark mode quite gracefully, and makes the EPIM forum (and other phpBB forums, of course) much easier to deal with.
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

With all due respect, the subject of themes has been "watched" since 2016 (or even longer), is there any progress towards this?
Thanks!
MPoland16

Post by MPoland16 »

I would also like to add my vote for a Dark Theme or Mode. Just like everyone else mentions, the white background is a glaring distraction when you are trying to work with your program. Most other programs have slowly switched over to offering this as a option, and yours is one of the few left that hasn't made that choice. If you give your users the option of using either Light or Dark themes, it will make both parties happy and show that you care about your users.

Thank you.
Nothingness
Novice

Post by Nothingness »

kk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:37 pmWith all due respect, the subject of themes has been "watched" since 2016 (or even longer), is there any progress towards this?
Thanks!
Agreed! I would love to have an answer as well, regarding the dark themes/skins. I have a lifetime key, so I will haunt this message boards, and this thread... forever ;).
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits - Best OS ever - Have a lifetime licence
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

+1

Just updated to the newest version of windows 10 that has a decent built in dark theme and am loving it.

EPIM is now the only piece of daily use software on my system that doens't have a dark theme or Night mode.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Already working on it :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

Best news all day!
Thanks! :)
Nothingness
Novice

Post by Nothingness »

That is nice to hear :).
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits - Best OS ever - Have a lifetime licence
philosurfer

Post by philosurfer »

I'll welcome the dark theme as well, but as a FYI to everyone, there's an inexpensive program for Windows called IRIS ( https://iristech.co/ ). It's a pretty flexible blue-light management tool, but it's got quite a few modes that can be helpful with EPIM. It'll also allow entry (or determination) of your location in case you want the coloration to shift throughout the day, to mirror the normal sunlight cycle (of course, it won't mimic the current weather conditions if other than "normal").

Rich
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

philosurfer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm I'll welcome the dark theme as well, but as a FYI to everyone, there's an inexpensive program for Windows called IRIS ( https://iristech.co/ ). It's a pretty flexible blue-light management tool, but it's got quite a few modes that can be helpful with EPIM. It'll also allow entry (or determination) of your location in case you want the coloration to shift throughout the day, to mirror the normal sunlight cycle (of course, it won't mimic the current weather conditions if other than "normal").

Rich
Just to even things out a bit:

Windows 10 has a built in function for blue light reduction now which causes fewer issues with programs and is less resource intensive. Overall the best option for simple blue light reduction.

f.lux has always had the better/bigger fan following compared to iris because the devs handled it better not just because it's free.

If you want to have some real powerful control NegativeScreen allows you to do some pretty amazing stuff and crazy stuff with low level compatibility, but you need to be able to learn how to use it.

A good companion for extra eye strain help is also ClickMonitorDDC for fast tray or shortcut key control of brightness and contrast.
oz85
Novice

Post by oz85 »

admin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 am Already working on it :)

Hello to everyone!

I was wondering when the dark mode will be realeased. Its something that coming soon? AS for the other people i've Win10 dark theme and the only piece that is missing is EPIM.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We plan to release it in a version that comes next after the next major update. Most likely that's going to be the 8.7 one.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

Hi EPIM-Team,
white text on black backround is much better to read so I hope you make such a dark theme as an option to switch over if not as the default theme.
Some more tv stations have changed the teletext to white on black, which I appreciate.

It would be also great if you could improve the monthly view in the way the screenshot in this post/thread shows, as it's super practical and a much better overview:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33473#p106101

Update:
---------

I try to put the image directly here so you don't have to jump back to see it:
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by AJ on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.