Data lose due to wierd save priorities

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Rose Ford
Guru

Data lose due to wierd save priorities

Post by Rose Ford »

I seem to be having issues with EPIM or the supplied by EPIM fire bird server prioritizing one network computer above others.

I have 3 users on 3 different client PCs + a 4th system as the host all on the same network router.

If PC 2 & 3 are writing something and PC 1 hops on to read something EPIM will Prioritize PC 1 and save over the data that PC 2 or 3 were writing.

Even if PC 1 doesn't input any data at all it will re-save the note as soon as they click off of it and just delete everything that had been written by the other users.

I've tired swapping around user accounts just to see if it was something that way and it didn't change anything. All users are standard users and the SYSDBA account isn't in use by anyone. As a test I had PC 2 log in as SYSDBA and EPIM still treated PC 1 as a priority and would overwrite any data PC 2 as SYSDBA added.

I'm not 100% sure when this started but it was in the last couple of updates, and it didn't use to be this way.

It also doesn't matter the order that PCs connected to the database PC 1 can be the first or last PC to login or access a note and it will still always have priority.

All copies of EPIM are portable and I have tried moving PC1s copy over to the other 2 PCs to make sure it wasn't some other setting and nothing changed.
Rose Ford
Guru

Re: Data lose due to wierd save priorities

Post by Rose Ford »

One more thing:

Read-Only users don't seem to be working.

As I tried making a read-only user for PC1 since it really doesn't need to edit anything, and not only did it not help with the issue, but the read-only user account could edit and make things freely with seemingly no limitations.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi,

EPIM should not be saving data if user has not written anything. So this situation: "Even if PC 1 doesn't input any data at all it will re-save the note as soon as they click off of it and just delete everything that had been written by the other users." does not sound normal (will look into that). However, if PC 1 is editing and leaves the Note first, it will indeed overwrite others' changes and that's how most databases work.

Regarding read-only users- can you please tell version number and show a screenshot of how you set up this particular user?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Here is the other information:
I am using 8.65 [latest version ]
ReadOnly.jpg
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you, we will look into this.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

8.66:
The read-only account seems to be read-only now, but the "access to all" aspect seems to not be working right now.

A whole bunch of notes vanished from view and now it acts like a standard-access read-only account.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unable to reproduce. Did you login as SYSDBA user?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

This is logged in as Normal user or SYSDBA:
normal user account.jpg
normal user account.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
SYSDBA and Normal User.jpg
This is what is seen when logged into the all access read only account:
read only account.jpg
read only account.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
read only.jpg

This is the properties from one of the many missing notes:
2020-04-08_091716.jpg
2020-04-08_091716.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

NOTE:
All the notes in the 1st tree are there, it's all the notes in the second tree that are now gone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the detailed update. We're unable to reproduce the issue on our side and that makes us think it might be a database related one. Please make a copy of the existing database, open it, delete all the data except for couple of notes that aren't visible when you login as "RO" and forward that DB to me (via a PM here in the forum).
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!