Hyperlink Renaming and usability enhancement

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

NoteIILTE
Experienced

Hyperlink Renaming and usability enhancement

Post by NoteIILTE »

Two suggestions:
1. Currently if I want to rename a hyperlink, I have to remove it and then create it. Please consider a renaming capability to just rename the link, while the underlying hyperlink is still linking to the same object.

2. Future implementation: A contact entry can be hyperlinked to an item without specifically creating an hyperlink in the "Note field". For example, if an contact entry is hyperlinked, the color of it is different from those not hyperlinked and then say, just use the left mouse button to select that contact entry and then it will bring me to the hyperlinked item. Currently, I have to open the contact, alt-select the hyperlink.

Thanks for listening.
Keldi
Guru

Re: Hyperlink Renaming and usability enhancement

Post by Keldi »

Hello,

Right click on a hyperlink, "Hyperlink...", and there it's possible to change the name and/or the path.
Or just type the new name after the old one, and then delete the old name (but no spaces in the name this way, I used _ ):
epim_hyperlink-name.gif
epim_hyperlink-name.gif (8.71 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
If I understand your suggestion correctly, I believe adding a new field in contacts partly solves what you want. Then you can put links there and sort the contacts by that field's column (it's not a colour, but still something). And just left click on the link in the table will open the hyperlinked item.
epim_contacts&links.png
epim_contacts&links.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

Best regards.
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

Thanks for the quick reply.

For 1. I would like to have "Hyperlink" displayed as "Rename/Re-define Hyperlink" when I right click the hyperlink.

For 2. Your suggestion is feasible but I have to create additional field for that purpose and I want to do without creating an additional field. The reason I ask because long time ago there was a Lotus Organizer I used which had this hyperlink feature. I found it great and missed it a lot. It did it as I have described and more intuitive.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Will improve this one.
2. What if we add a new column called Related Items? So that it shows the number of related items, if there're any.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

1. Thanks.

2. What does it mean to add a new column? Is it a field to contain the hyper link?
What I envisage is just to right click the entry to display a list of actions for which hyperlink is one of them. Then, I select the item from the database to be linked. Once hyperlink for the entry has been created, a tag or color changed is displayed to identify the linked entry. So, different from the current implementation, I do not need to "name" a hyperlink and no field or column needed to be created. Or should I say a "hidden" column or field is created to associate with the link but without the knowledge of the user.

The current implementation allows for multiple hyperlinks for an entry. My idea can also be extended to multiple links but requires further thinking on implementation for creation, modification and deletion. Let's wait if you may consider my suggestion first.

Stay safe.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A column in the table view will be able to show if an item has any related items to it and if yes, how many. This way you will be ably to quickly determine whether you need to dig deeper for a particular item and switch to the Related Items tab for it.

Color change is something we'd wish to avoid at the moment just because we might introduce categorization feature in the future, that will change line colors in the table views.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

admin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 amto show if an item has any related items to it and if yes, how many.
Maybe when there is only one related item, display that number with a clickable link to the item?

Related Items column:
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

admin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 am A column in the table view will be able to show if an item has any related items to it and if yes, how many. This way you will be ably to quickly determine whether you need to dig deeper for a particular item and switch to the Related Items tab for it.

Color change is something we'd wish to avoid at the moment just because we might introduce categorization feature in the future, that will change line colors in the table views.
OK. Lets try it first.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keldi, this is doable :) Will think about it.
NoteIILTE, okay the feature is in the to do list.
NoteIILTE
Experienced

Post by NoteIILTE »

admin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm Keldi, this is doable :) Will think about it.
NoteIILTE, okay the feature is in the to do list.
Thanks for listening.