Epim version 9

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

drrwilliams
Novice

Epim version 9

Post by drrwilliams »

I have tried it twice and have deleted it and gone back to 8.661

Within Version 9, when you open an email (new or existing) and select Format, then Background, then Color, the color background does not change and remains white.

I am a registered user and use Windows 10 Pro.
Rick74
Experienced

Re: Epim version 9

Post by Rick74 »

Similar problem with appointments in Calendar - when I try to change the colour of the font, it remains black. In contrast, changing the background colour works.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

drrwilliams, thank you, will fix it in one of the next updates. A workaround meanwhile would be to use background button on the toolbar.
Rick74, I could not reproduce the issue with Appointments, how exactly do you change the color of the font, using which menu?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Rick74
Experienced

Post by Rick74 »

By using with the drop-down matrix of colours with the mouse.
Now I can see that the problem only concerns existing appointments - those created by the previous version of EPIM. When I create a new appointment, everyting works fine.
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Max wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm drrwilliams, thank you, will fix it in one of the next updates. A workaround meanwhile would be to use background button on the toolbar.
Rick74, I could not reproduce the issue with Appointments, how exactly do you change the color of the font, using which menu?
OK, I;ll bite.

" background button on the toolbar"

What "background button on the toolbar"

I do not see a background button on any EPIM window. What am I missing?

Regards,

Jimn
drrwilliams
Novice

Post by drrwilliams »

Hello, I never found it either and have just gone back to 8.661 for the time being.
Rick74
Experienced

Post by Rick74 »

Coming back to the issue: When I try to use a coloured font for the theme of an appointment, everuthing is fine as long as make no backround colour, or choose a light background colour (pics1, 2, 3). When I choose a dark bacground, some or all of the colours in hte title dont work - become black. So the issue seems to have something to do with the bacground.
Pic1.png
Pic2.png
Pic3.png
Pic4.png
By the way, is there a way to come back to the older epim file?... I reinstaled EPIM 8.66 but it won't work with the updated version of the working file.
drrwilliams
Novice

Post by drrwilliams »

Personally, I always rename the current database file before I upgrade; if I forget there is always a backup copy to use. That is what I did when I deleted version 9 and went back to 8.66. By the way, everytime I upgrade I do a rename of the pim file. I have several essentialpim files saved. Takes a few minutes and saves a lot of headache. Will be waiting for an upgrade to 9.01 or 9.1 or something.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Rick74 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:07 pm Coming back to the issue: When I try to use a coloured font for the theme of an appointment, everuthing is fine as long as make no backround colour, or choose a light background colour (pics1, 2, 3). When I choose a dark bacground, some or all of the colours in hte title dont work - become black. So the issue seems to have something to do with the bacground.
Thank you, I reproduced the issue, will fix.
Rick74 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:07 pm By the way, is there a way to come back to the older epim file?... I reinstaled EPIM 8.66 but it won't work with the updated version of the working file.
Definitely. Before upgrading the file, EPIM makes a backup of your database. You can search your computer for *.epim or *.bak files containing "...restore..." in their name.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
PesceDog
Novice

Post by PesceDog »

Rick74 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:07 pm Coming back to the issue: When I try to use a coloured font for the theme of an appointment, everuthing is fine as long as make no backround colour, or choose a light background colour (pics1, 2, 3). When I choose a dark bacground, some or all of the colours in hte title dont work - become black. So the issue seems to have something to do with the bacground.
Pic1.png
Pic2.png
Pic3.png
Pic4.png

By the way, is there a way to come back to the older epim file?... I reinstaled EPIM 8.66 but it won't work with the updated version of the working file.
Similar problem: if I change the color (for example red color) of the title or in the body of a new appointement (fig. 1) then, in the calendar, I see black color (fig. 2).
Attachments
Senza nome 1.pdf
(309.07 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

This happens as a result of one feature- EPIM tries to make sure the Appointment text is always visible, regardless of the background of the task. Seems like this feature does not always work correctly.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
PesceDog
Novice

Post by PesceDog »

In previous versions it worked correctly
James

Post by James »

I've used EPIMPro now for 4 months as a replacement for EccoPro. Wow! The first weeks are a pretty steep learning curve...
In general the program works well enough, but the interface is so clunky.
BUGBEAR And quite often when trying to enter an Appointment on the fly, the text and the entry simply gets lost and disappears ! It is not even found in the trash.

What happens is that in a hurry to make an entry no Category is selected, so the software just discards everything. Even worse, if you don't actually check the screen to see the Appointment you made, you can believe that you have made one, when in fact, because of the system, you haven't !
Another GRIPE is the sheer number of operations we have to carry out to set even the simplest Appointment:
1 - click on Appointment
2 - enter heading
3 - select all the entered heading text
4 -select formatting, i.e., Bold, color, etc.
5 - select a Category and other criteria (of which there are several)
6 - enter a Tag (if you use them)
7- check you haven't missed out one of the previous steps
8 - hit OK
All this to enter the most mundane of appointments. Plus the system does''t even remember what criteria you used for your last entry ! So we are forever reinventing the wheel...

Somebody has some homework to do. And don't get me started on the pretty formatting layout and results provided for Notes, etc.

Yes, there's a lot of good stuff. And the integration between modules is good. But the user experience is so long winded.

Once you come out of the other side of development hell, you'll probably have a very solid product. But there's still a way to go.
Best,
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

James wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:17 pmAll this to enter the most mundane of appointments. Plus the system does''t even remember what criteria you used for your last entry ! So we are forever reinventing the wheel...
A bit of advice - Templates! They pretty much shrink a lot of steps into: add New Appointment, select the saved template (where you once preselected the category, text in the headline with all the formatting, the tags and so on).
And quite often when trying to enter an Appointment on the fly, the text and the entry simply gets lost and disappears ! It is not even found in the trash.

What happens is that in a hurry to make an entry no Category is selected, so the software just discards everything. Even worse, if you don't actually check the screen to see the Appointment you made, you can believe that you have made one, when in fact, because of the system, you haven't !
The only thing that comes to my mind here, is that the filter for categories is set to hide appointments without a category:
right click in Calendar -> filter -> categories -> None (unchecked)
Tools -> Options - Today -> Categories -> None (unchecked)

If it's not that (or some other filter), than more information what steps were taken before it happens would help the EPIM team to fix if there is an issue there somewhere.
I've been an EPIM user for quite a while and never noticed something like that (no issues with appointments without a category), If there are some actions that can lead to data disappearing. I'd like to know what to avoid.

Regards
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Indeed, EPIM allows to enter Appointments without entering category. If you do not see Appointments without categories, most likely something is wrong with your filters.
Another hint- you can select time in the Day/Weekly view by mouse and that will start creating Appointment with pre-selected time.
Maxim,
EPIM Team