F3 hotkey to redo the last search

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

TumbleDoor
Guru

F3 hotkey to redo the last search

Post by TumbleDoor »

To my great surprise, and I don't know how I never noticed this didn't work in EPIM given how often I use it in every other program. F3 to keep searching / redo the last search doesn't appear to be implemented in EPIM.
SilverSound
Expert

Re: F3 hotkey to redo the last search

Post by SilverSound »

+1 When needed a hotkey to repeat the last search is very useful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure I understand how this supposed to work, please elaborate more about the suggestion.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

This is a very common feature in many programs that you can see in action in almost all text editors, web browsers...etc.

I've attached a video showing it in WordPad.

Here is a basic walk through:

Make a document in WordPad with the same word more than twice.

Do a search for that word.

Close the search box and hit F3 to do that search again.
Attachments
Video_2020-07-12_120745.zip
(398.31 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Let's say, you are searching the word 'WORD'. You have it in 5 different notes (note1, note2, note3, note4, note5).
Ctrl+F, type 'WORD', Enter will switch you to note1. The second Enter will switch you to note2.
If you close the search window at this point, there is no one-shortcut way to quickly renew the search you've stopped.
And the same goes for the Find&Replace inside an appointment/task and so on, there is no keep searching/redo the search there either.

In many programs it's something like this:

Ctrl+F, type 'WORD', Enter to start the search for that word - you are at note1, Enter to repeat the search - you are at note2.
Close the Find&Replace window. Read the note, edit and so on. Then you might want to continue the search.
F3 - you'll be switched to the next instance of finding the 'WORD' -> to note3 (or to the WORD in note2 if you were typing above it). Different programs act differently on F3 here, but more often than not the Find&Replace window isn't even showed on F3 and you are just being moved to the next find, which is highlighted like with the usual search.
F3 again - you are at note4.
F3 -> note5
F3 -> note1
And so on in the loop.

I made the example with searching the word 'WORD' in note's content. But it was just an example. The purpose of F3 is to remember what parameters were chosen for the search and to continue with these parameters from the point you are at and forward. So if in the Find&Replace the 'Search scope' was 'All displayed' and the 'Search in' was 'Titles', F3 should go to the next title with the searched word among the displayed notes and so on.

I don't know if the people above were asking for something of the kind, it's just what I came to expect from F3 when dealing with search in other programs.

But if you'll implement something of the sort, please make the shortcut for the 'Find Next' configurable.
I've been using F-keys (F3 included) to quickly switch modules in EPIM for years now, I don't want to lose this shortcut for a feature that I might use far less.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the explanation, clear now.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

+1 Pretty standard function in almost all editors. Max/admin - I will bet your software development editor has it.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.