Version 9.2 Tags

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

DavidN
Guru

Version 9.2 Tags

Post by DavidN »

Hello,

I am running Version 9.2 so I cannot tell you if this was an issue in a prior release or not.

I am experiencing a number of issues with tags.

1. When I tag and item the tag is not showing up when I open tag explorer and select that specific tag.
2. If I create a mail rule and the rule works properly and I am able to tag specific messages only some of the messages show in tags explorer and not all.
3. Finally, I had a number of tags that I deleted in tags explorer. When I delete they are repopulating. I had deleted multiple times and they keep coming back.

Thanks for your help.
Keldi
Guru

Re: Version 9.2 Tags

Post by Keldi »

1. It's normal if while editing an item you've added a tag to it and went to the Tag Explore before the edit was saved (OK button for the item opened in a separate window/switching to another item in layouts with build-in editor/autosave within some timeout option). The tag wasn't yet saved to the item, so the Tag Explore doesn't show this item in the list for this tag. But if it's not that, please elaborate what steps lead to an issue.

3. I can confirm that I see some deleted tags reappear too. It certainly already was in EPIM 8, might have been earlier too.
I never quite figured out in which circumstances this happens. At least, it's not often enough for me to pinpoint to something. I usually can't even remember whether I deleted them through the Tag Explore or through the Select Tags window (but they were deleted, not just unselected from all items). From time to time when looking something up in the Tag Explore I sort tags by the Count and see at the end some of tags that I had deleted some time ago. I then select everything with count 0 (holding Shift) and delete it again. Not sure whether some of them show up once again or not after that.

And a couple of issue from me:

4. There is a limit for the total tag names length for one item (200 symbols), but the real issue isn't even the limit itself (I hit the limit less than ten times total). The issue is that there is no indication that I've reached it.
I can select existing tags in the Select Tags window (or type into the tag field, doesn't matter):
epim_tag-names-lenght1.png
epim_tag-names-lenght1.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
(the long names on the screenshot are just for example, in practice it happens with shorter tag names but with more tags assigned to one item at once)

And they'll show up in the tag field with no indication that something can go wrong.
epim_tag-names-lenght2.png
epim_tag-names-lenght2.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
I save the item with OK button and think that everything's good there.

But later I'll find out that:
a) not all tags were assigned to the item
b) there was a new tag created as the program cut off the name of the last tag within the 200 symbols
epim_tag-names-lenght3.png
I don't care much whether the limit stays the same or goes up. But some kind of warning would be nice whenever it reached and not everything is going to be saved in the tag field.

5. In the Select Tags window I can select several tags at once, but with the Space key only the last tag in the selection changes check/uncheck (an animated gif in the attachments):
Attachments
epim_-several-tags-selection+space.gif
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Thank you for the reply. For item 1, it is an email and it currently resides in my inbox. I have added the tag and it is not showing up in explorer. The tag itself if there but there are not related items at all which in this case is an email.

In regard to number 3 it is just a bother to me to see tags that I do not even recall creating and then when I delete them they just keep reappearing :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Please provide us with a list of steps about what you do and how you do it. So far we couldn't reproduce the problem.
2. Again, much more detailed description is needed.
3. Click on a tag and check which items it relates to. The tags might be coming from your mail server, for instance.
4.5. Will take care of the issues, thanks for letting us know!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

3. In my case deleted tags can't be coming from a mail server as I don't use the mail module. And the only synchronization I use is 1-way to Android, so it can't be that either. The several-times-deleted tags aren't related to anything (the same way as it happens with tags when you delete them from every item they were assigned to, but not delete the tags themself so they are in the list of possible tags; but I did delete the tags themselves). I'll try to keep a close eye on tags reappearing, it should be something I do that triggers it. I remember deleting the same tags several days in a row sometime last month, but so far no tags have repapered in the last week.
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Sorry for the delayed response.
admin wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:37 am 1. Please provide us with a list of steps about what you do and how you do it. So far we couldn't reproduce the problem.
2. Again, much more detailed description is needed.
3. Click on a tag and check which items it relates to. The tags might be coming from your mail server, for instance.
4.5. Will take care of the issues, thanks for letting us know!

item 1 this only appears to be happening within the email inbox. I have tested in other email folders and I cannot reproduce either. If I tag an email within the inbox the tag does not show up in explorer. If I tag and email within another folder it shows up fine.

Item 2 - This only seems to apply to item 1 above. The email inbox appears to be the issue.

Item 3 - I believe you are correct. These are clearly emails. My problem is I just do not know where to locate them. I use gmail would these perhaps be labels within gmail that is creating tags within EPIM?

Thank you again for your help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Thank you, confirm the issue, will fix.
3. Keldi, please update this topic when/if the rouge tags re-appear :) DavidN, not really labels but some sort of tags.. Will investigate further about this. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DavidN, please mention which tags specifically you see coming back after removal? Are there any other email apps that you use?
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

There are two in specific and one is NotJunk and the other is NonJunk. There are two others but they would be unique names that I created. I use the gmail app for my email. I have used others in the past, however, I no longer use them. I have also searched my gmail accounts and there is no labels with these names.
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

I might add. These are very old emails. I am going to delete them and then try deleting the tags to see if this solves the problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, please do that and let us know. Thanks!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

something's weird with the forum...

@admin:
Have you seen my topic from yesterday about a minor visual issue with search in the Tag Explore? Or do I need to recreate it?

My initial post (2020.08.12) here was (I saw your answer to it, thank you):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
admin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:26 am Keldi, please update this topic when/if the rouge tags re-appear :)
You were so right with this word! My rogue tags ran amok on me. :lol:

I was in database #1.
I wanted to switch to database #3, but by accident hit on the database #2 in the recent files under the menu File.
I right away opened the menu File again and hit on the database #3 (and I suspect I did it too quickly, while the database #2 wasn't fully loaded yet?).
And right after that I noticed two things:
- database #3 had all the tags from database #2 (they weren't assigned to any item, just showed up in the tag explorer)
- the tags of database #3 (those that are assigned to items and were there before the rogue tags showed up) lost their colours (while the rogue tags came from the database #2 with all their colours).
I deleted rogues and assigned colours back to the tags in database #3.

I was unable to reproduce it again (nor on clean databases, nor on my databases). But at least now I know that those were not deleted tags resurrecting, but tags wandering among databases (I had some databases started with the same tags, then later deleted some of tags in one, but left in another, that's why them coming from there to the first one seemed like 'undeleting' to me).
So, switching between databases is now under my suspicion. Something else probably is also needed for the issues to happen, the stars align for me maybe once a month so far.
More troubling was that the rightful tags of the database lost their assigned colours. The rogues themselves were easy to deal with by sorting by the Count column in the Tag Explorer and deleting everything with 0.
I'm just going to be more careful with switching between databases from now on, I'll take a deep breath and relax before hitting on something in the recent files and hopefully won't stumble into this issue again. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, there were some issues with the forum software (http 5XX server errors), so we had to restore one of its working copies from backup.

I have seen your second post about the minor visual issue, we're on it, thanks!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

The issue #4 (cutting off part of the tag's name when reached the limit of 200 symbols) is still the same in EPIM 9.3.
The issue #5 is fixed, thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We decided to postpone the issue number 4 as it requires some structural changes with the database file, which in turn would require database conversion to the updated format with EPIM 9.3 and we tend to escape that whenever possible as the process isn't the easiest one.