Dropbox Sync Error

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

pmj
Experienced

Dropbox Sync Error

Post by pmj »

EPIM 9.3 newly-installed, Win10.
I've transferred my EPIM data file, settings, etc, from a 9.2 installation on an older computer.
I've used Dropbox Sync regularly, but it's sometimes kinda sketchy when the C: drive was near-full, or when short of RAM, or when we used to have a slow internet connection.
I was hoping those problems would resolve themselves with a new system, more memory, etc. But Dropbox Sync has failed, the buttons in the error message to send you the logs don't work, and the error message won't clear the screen ("X" doesn't work). I also can't close EPIM because the error message is active - have to use Task Manager.
I also cleared and re-created my Dropbox link to attempt to resolve this.

Sending you an email with the log files.
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox Sync Error

Post by admin »

Does the error happen each time you exit EPIM?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

No - but Dropbox Sync isn't working right now, so it's just a "regular" exit. The error occurs when I attempt the first Dropbox Sync, after the link has been authorized at Dropbox.
Peter
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

I tried again, after re-installing EPIM under my other support request. Same problem.
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you trying to open a file form Dropbox or you're trying to save the database to Dropbox?
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

I''m trying to save to Dropbox.
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have any synchronizations set up in EPIM? If so, do some of them sync at specified time periods?
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

I sync to 2 Android devices, not on a timed basis.
No other syncs to any cloud accounts, etc.
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks. If you create a new database file and try to save it to Dropbox, will there be the same error?
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

The new database saved successfully (EDIT - at Dropbox).

Interestingly, (EDIT - when I created the new database), EPIM offered to save it in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents, whereas the present file is saved in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM Pro, which I don't like because I can never find it, and EPIM doesn't reveal the location of the "Save" operation. It is on my list of future Qs to enquire why I can't choose a personal location to file the database - see next comment re SaveAs.

This is also interesting - historically, the SaveAs option has always been greyed-out - which is how (with most programs) I find the default Save location. But my existing (problematic?) file _now_ has SaveAs available - which I assumed was a 9.3 improvement that would address my comment above. OTOH, the new database doesn't have SaveAs available. Hmm ...
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Save as isn't available if you're working with a file from Dropbox. If you wish to save the file in another location, you should move your DB out of Dropbox first.

The initial problem might be related to the database file itself, if you say there's no such issue with the newly created file. I'd recommend you to move your DB out of Dropbox temporarily (Tools->Options->Dropbox), sync its data over to the new database using EPIM Sync and then move the newly created DB back to Dropbox.
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

Although I do have a file at Dropbox, it's not up to date, because I haven't been able to sync for a while. The Dropbox sync process seems to be sensitive to not enough RAM / C drive too full / busy internet - giving an error message after trying for 30 seconds or so.

As noted above, I'm not trying to retrieve a file from Dropbox, I'm trying to sync my file to Dropbox. I had already tried removing the Dropbox sync and creating a new sync - I started this discussion after that also failed.

Because the file on my computer is up to date, maybe the answer is to now sync that data over to the new file with EPIM Sync, then try again with the Dropbox sync?
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I believe that's the right approach which should make it all work as expected. Please try it and let us know. Thanks!
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

So I tried the above. All the data seems to be properly transferred to the new file.
I cancelled the previous Dropbox sync, and for certainty, at Dropbox I renamed the Apps / EssentialPIM Databases folder so that it wouldn't interfere with any future syncs.
I started a new sync, Dropbox requested authorization, etc, and uploading "started". After maybe 15 seconds, I received the usual error message:
EPIM 2020-09-10 133418.png
EPIM 2020-09-10 133418.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
I also discovered at Dropbox that a new EssentialPIM Databases folder had not been created.
Similar result if I close EPIM, restart, try to sync again, etc.
Peter
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

I've tried several times over the last few days. Deleted previous syncs, etc. Also optimized the file,
Still no success with Dropbox Sync.
Peter