Consistency Check

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

KmxSoft
Guru

Consistency Check

Post by KmxSoft »

When I start my PC, with EPIM auto-starting it automatcally does a database consistency check. I then have 20 minutes of an unresponsive PC whilst this check is carreed out.

Although I am in favour of database consistency checks, this issue is a major PITA so I'd like some guidance on th following.
  • 1) I don't understand why this check is required because prior to the reboot EPIM was working perfectly happy, so I would expect the database to be a`okay, so why is it necessary for the check to be required?

2) Can I disable this auto-check?

3) This foreground check doesn't need to be carried out - so why can't it be done as a background process?

4) Why is it necessary for this test to be carried out as sequential which hangs up the processor - why can't it be done in a more relaxed mode?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Consistency Check

Post by admin »

1. The database engine determines there might be some issue with the data and therefore it needs to perform such a task to be sure data integrity is intact.
2. You cannot.
3. All operations with the database are prohibited in order not to make situation worse unless we're sure all if fine with your data.
4. If would take much more time and you're already frustrated about the amount of time it runs.

All in all, if this happens just once, you might simply ignore this check. If this starts to happen more frequently this might be a sign of either some issues with the database or with your hard drive.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Hmm, athough I like the idea oof a consistency check it's a pity that it never reports any issue after checking.

The other thing I noted this morning was that EPIM had forgotten it was the default email client and prompted me to confirm the change to EPIM. I definitely haven't changed the client so it is a concern that this setting isn't stcky. I guess this might explain why EPIM decides to do a consistency check as it has forgotten the database is okay.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I doubt a message saying there was an issue with some blob storage in your database would do any good. If a database can be fixed/corrected, it automatically will be. If it cannot, then you're going to see a specific error.

With regards to the second point you described - see if this is going to happen again. I'd now checked your hard drive health status just to be sure everything's ok with it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

My AV runs checks of hardware frequently so I'm fairly confident I don't have a hardware issue.

In the coming days I'm going to switch to a nw server, where I will host the database. I bought the multi-user version a while back but never deployed it.