EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 1

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 1

Post by admin »

Hello All,

EssentialPIM 10.0 is out of the closed (only among the Beta testers) Beta phase with the first Release Candidate version. The Release Candidate versions are stable enough to be offered to anyone who wish to get a sneak peak preview of the upcoming 10.0 version final release.

However, before jumping into this, let us remind you that this is still not the final release version, so some (hopefully minor) issues are possible with it. Download and try it out only when you know what you’re doing. All right, let’s get to the changes in the new 10.0 version of EPIM.
  • Quickly zoom in or out of a note
  • Floating tasks that move to next day if not completed*
  • Archive emails manually or via auto archive settings for mail folders*
  • Version History (check or revert to earlier item versions)*
  • Weather in calendar*
  • Icons for individual password entries with ability to fetch icons from the web sites*
  • Kanban Board in Tasks*
  • Native support of Microsoft Exchange*
  • Location field for events and tasks automatically returns information about places as you type
  • Categories in Mail
  • Select to view only favorite, recently viewed or recently modified notes
  • See snoozed reminders in the Reminders Window
  • User-defined date and time formats in Insert Date and Time dialog windows
  • Page color in Notes
  • Many other less significant optimizations and improvements
*Only in EssentialPIM Pro

Downloads:
EssentialPIM Pro 10.0 RC1 (Installer and Portable)
EssentialPIM Free 10.0 RC1 (Installer and Portable)

Your thoughts, suggestions and bug reports are much appreciated!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rose Ford
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 1

Post by Rose Ford »

The new version history feature is pretty disappointing and weird...

#1 It's in a bizarre place: Right-click note > Properties > version history.
Really bad placement IMO, this should be somewhere else, such as a toolbar icon. Buried in note properties is just weird, and out of place. History is not a property.

#2 History should be done per-leaf like the recent poll suggested. Trying to handle history per-note is a disastrous mess waiting to happen, and in my short amount of testing has already spawned a fairly unruly mess.

#3 100% automated history with no settings? Really guys? In 15 min of editing between leafs in a note, I created 56 history points. If you're going to go for fully automated there has got to be settings, this is madness. That said note history shouldn't be fully automated it should be partly automated, at best; there needs to be ways to create named manual history states as those are going to be the most useful. Having an endless list near useless list of minor edits is a niche use case compared to having a curated list of important points in history. This is like a git client that auto pulled every change you made with blank comments e.g., a jumbled up history that would take forever to find anything useful.

#4 No way to shut off it off. A system that is going to create literally hundreds to thousands of duplicate database entries every single day of use has no way to be shut off? I really want a useful version history, but this system isn't going to be useful.

#5 No way to clean it up or manage it. You can't delete history points can set limits for history, overall you can't manage them at all.

IMO this is an alpha state feature. It should have never gotten through beta and reached RC as is.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

The general update is nice, really like a lot of the little things, especially the bulk icon change in notes, but the big ticket features are all kind of wonky, feels like you might have tired to do too much in one update and they all suffered a little to a lot.

Note versions history appears to be in the worst shape. I agree with most of what's already been said, especially that manual history will be the most useful and it's completely missing.

The Note favorites and note recently viewed / modified feature, is cool, but would be more useful if it could be on screen at the same time as the normal tree rather than replacing it. It's a lot of extra mouse clicks to switch between <favorites> and <all>. Especially since making a new note is broken while in favorite view. Steps: Enter favorite view -> Click Add to Root -> Give name -> OK -> Notice that you are just in limbo. Further more going back kicks you back to <all> mode, overall having them as a single tree is much more cumber some then if they were separate entries that could be enabled or disabled in the view window.

Weather in calendar is pretty rough. There's no settings to show the weather on every day so you can only see it on the current day, all other days require you to "hover" over the tiny little icon and get a rather finically tooltip. Seems like there's a lot of potential here for a great tool in the long run though if more things are added to it, and you could click the weather icon to get a popup window with more details, such as an hourly forecast.

The task Kaban Board is the most complete, but still missing some critical features.
1. A way to add more columns.
2. A way to rename columns,
3. A Kaban state Column in other views (Tree, plain, and combined)
5. Fix space waste, the title cards are too big for mouse/keyboard, they feel like they are made for a touch screen. I also don't see the point of the check box, you can just track the card to completed, does their really need to be a checkbox to complete too?
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

The scrollbar in note history is broken.

Steps:
- Get enough history states to need a scrollbar (an easy task, I already have notes with over 50 history states in under an hour of use.)
- Scroll with the mouse wheel.
- Result: The scrollbar doesn't move.

If you drag the bar with your mouse it stays locked in place a doesn't move until you release the mouse.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

+1 current state of note history is not very useful, and dangerous.

Alarm bells ringing in my head, I decided to make a macro to simulate my normal work day worth of edits.

With zero added notes, simply doing light repetitive editing across a variety of notes and leafs my databases increased by 50MB per run of the macro.

I take 2 days off a week 52 * 2 = 110 meaning a normal work year is apx 365 - 110 = 255 - 10~15 days for holidays so let's say 240 * 50MB = Apx 12GB database size increase per year just in my routine note editing, I imagine do to special projects and circumstances this could balloon much higher.

I strongly believe the following need to be added for safety and essential for usefulness:
* Automatic history needs a cut off.
* Automatic history needs to be based on something other than when you leave a leaf. Ideally there needs to be settings, but I believe the most common time to automatically create a history state would be on program start / close or minimize to task bar.
* A way to delete and clean up history in bulk.
* Permanent manual saves, that can be named for easy recognition.

! Tags, note name, nor icon should be changed upon restore to a previous state.
Tags, note name, and icon are shared by all leafs, and may not even be related to the leaf being restored to an earlier state.

Things I agree with or think would make the feature more useful, but are not circuital to safety, or essential to usefulness.
* History should not be in note properties.
* History for individual leaf's should not be mixed together.
* There should be a word count column in the history viewer.
* The history "preview" should be a diff window that shows the current and past note side by side and not a duplicate of the normal popup editor with all the options disabled.
* Advanced search should be able to search history.

Opinion and warning about note history aside I also have a general bug to report:

Tags are being copied to new notes.

Steps I use to reproduce:
In a new database I add a new note named "test".
I then give it two tags, "testtag1" and "testtag2".
I then use the blue button "add to root" to make a new note named "test2".
The note "test2" is created with the same tags as "test".
Attachments
Video_2021-11-25_145456.wmv
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by TumbleDoor on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

Bug: Windows emoji picker Win+; seems to be bugged in 10RC1 notes.

Don't have the same issue when I go back to using version 9 or in any other program.

I made a video, it's not consistent some times you have to go between two notes a couple of times before it'll happen, but it's quite common so you shouldn't have to try too hard.

Steps:
Make two notes, and go between them while using win+; to add emojis.
Attachments
Random Emjoi Picker Issue.mp4
(307.07 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

There is something really bizarre going on with font spacing in version 10.

Georgia is amongst the most common fonts used and it looks awful. I tried several other common fonts and they seem to suffer from this same issue, though most are not as glaring and extreme as Georgia.
2021-11-25.jpg
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

Error when using the "Edit in EPIM" function of a sticky note.

In a new or old database make a note and make it sticky.
Make another note and click over to it, or use an existing one.
In the sticky note use "edit in EPIM"

Result

Code: Select all

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception log with detailed tech info. Generated on 11/25/2021 8:13 PM.
You may send it to the application vendor, helping him to understand what had happened.
 Application title: temp.43EF1571.epim - EssentialPIM Pro Portable
 Application file: C:\Users\FB\Desktop\TMP\EPIM testing\EssentialPIM.exe
 Application: EssentialPIM Pro Portable 10.0 RC1  11/25/2021
Exception class: EInvalidOperation
Exception message: Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window .
Exception address: 00629732
Main thread ID = 12424
Exception thread ID = 12424
Object Logs:
20:13:39.727  SetViewMode OK
20:13:39.470  SetViewMode 3
20:13:38.352  DBOpen OK
20:13:38.324  SetViewMode OK
20:13:38.140  SetViewMode 0
20:13:38.049  DBOpen
20:13:37.658  DBClose OK
20:13:37.608  DBSave OK
20:13:37.606  DBSave
20:13:37.517  DBClose
20:12:12.412  SetViewMode OK
20:12:12.064  SetViewMode 3
20:11:29.300  DBOpen OK
20:11:28.916  SetViewMode OK
20:11:28.709  SetViewMode 0
20:11:28.518  DBOpen
Active Controls:
20:13:49.614  StickForm Panel1 RichViewEdit
20:13:48.614  MainForm FormPan FormPan2 NotesForm PreviewPan PageControl1 TextTS RichEditFrame1 TabsTC RVPanel SRichViewEdit TPanel TRichViewEdit
20:13:47.615  NotePropDialog Panel1 TitleEd RichViewEdit
20:13:46.634  MainForm FormPan FormPan2 NotesForm TreesTC NotesVT
20:13:46.121  StickForm Panel1 RichViewEdit
20:13:44.620  StickForm
20:13:42.616  MainForm FormPan FormPan2 NotesForm TreesTC NotesVT
20:13:42.114  MainForm FormPan FormPan2 NotesForm PreviewPan PageControl1 TextTS RichEditFrame1 TabsTC RVPanel SRichViewEdit TPanel TRichViewEdit
20:13:41.615  MainForm FormPan TBXToolbar2 TopPan TopTB AddBtn
20:13:40.621  NotePropDialog Panel1 TitleEd RichViewEdit
System: Windows 8 Workstation, Version: 6.2, Build: 23F0, ""
Memory: 49077; free 40462
Display: 3840x2160 pixels, 32 bpp, 368 PPI
PrevExceptions:
20:12:17.290  Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window 
20:12:55.513  Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window 
20:13:12.435  Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window 
Updates: 1
Last update: 11/25/2021

FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

In icon mode, there is a lot of unnecessary space being taken up under the Kanban Board navigation link text.
2021-11-25_203153.jpg
Filbert
Novice

Post by Filbert »

+1 everything in the below post.

+ it is very bad that history doesn't follow the leaf.

If you drag one leaf to another note, it's history stays with the old note, very bad.
TumbleDoor wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 am +1 current state of note history is not very useful, and dangerous.

Alarm bells ringing in my head, I decided to make a macro to simulate my normal work day worth of edits.

With zero added notes, simply doing light repetitive editing across a variety of notes and leafs my databases increased by 50MB per run of the macro.

I take 2 days off a week 52 * 2 = 110 meaning a normal work year is apx 365 - 110 = 255 - 10~15 days for holidays so let's say 240 * 50MB = Apx 12GB database size increase per year just in my routine note editing, I imagine do to special projects and circumstances this could balloon much higher.

I strongly believe the following need to be added for safety and essential for usefulness:
* Automatic history needs to be based on something other than when you leave a leaf. Ideally there needs to be settings, but I believe the most common time to automatically create a history state would be on program start / close or minimize to task bar.

Tags, note name, and icon are shared by all leafs, and may not even be related to the leaf being restored to an earlier state.

Things I agree with or think would make the feature more useful, but are not circuital to safety, or essential to usefulness.
* The history "preview" should be a diff window that shows the current and past note side by side and not a duplicate of the normal popup editor with all the options disabled.
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

+1
Filbert wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:53 am +1 everything in the below post.

+ it is very bad that history doesn't follow the leaf.

If you drag one leaf to another note, it's history stays with the old note, very bad.
TumbleDoor wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 am +1 current state of note history is not very useful, and dangerous.

a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Favorites in notes: I have three trees in notes; I made one note in tree #3 favorite, go back to tree #1 (my standard tree, I most often use) and then I want to see my favorite... in tree #3. EPIM says, "no favorite note"..... ok, it´s the wrong tree, but I think, favorite notes should be shown, indifferent which tree it is in!
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

Filbert wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:53 am + it is very bad that history doesn't follow the leaf.
When I first read this I wasn't sure if it really mattered that much, but after thinking about it for a day I agree. It's very bad that note history doesn't follow the leaf.

If you have a note leaf that has a really useful history, and you move it, then the original note gets deleted you have lost the leafs entire history, or if the leaf gets moved around several times and you can no longer remember what the original note was space and the history could be lost forever. Furthermore it makes note history really janky on any notes with leafs that move around a lot, as many of these moved around notes can have the same names.
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

Why has the function "show this task in the calendar" disappeared? :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, some words about the Previous Versions feature. You obviously confuse it with another feature that might be implemented in Notes (only?) in the future EPIM versions called "Revisions". When not the entire previous state of an item is being recorded but just its textual part. Hence your misunderstanding about history per-leaf, availability of assigned tags, etc. At the moment we're talking about previous versions for each of the different item types available in EPIM and it's going to stay more or less the way it is (with couple of additions like an ability to turn it off, clean it up or setup an amount of time to store previous versions for).

Now, to other points:
FireBrand2026 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 pm The Note favorites and note recently viewed / modified feature, is cool, but would be more useful if it could be on screen at the same time as the normal tree rather than replacing it. It's a lot of extra mouse clicks to switch between <favorites> and <all>.
That's a good suggestion, will see if we can improve this before the final version.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 pmEspecially since making a new note is broken while in favorite view. Steps: Enter favorite view -> Click Add to Root -> Give name -> OK -> Notice that you are just in limbo. Further more going back kicks you back to <all> mode, overall having them as a single tree is much more cumber some then if they were separate entries that could be enabled or disabled in the view window.
Unable to reproduce this one. A small demonstration video would be of help.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 pmWeather in calendar is pretty rough. There's no settings to show the weather on every day so you can only see it on the current day, all other days require you to "hover" over the tiny little icon and get a rather finically tooltip. Seems like there's a lot of potential here for a great tool in the long run though if more things are added to it, and you could click the weather icon to get a popup window with more details, such as an hourly forecast.
Feature enhancements will follow in the future versions.
Rose Ford wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 pm The scrollbar in note history is broken.
Thanks, will attempt to fix in the next update.
TumbleDoor wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 am Opinion and warning about note history aside I also have a general bug to report:
Tags are being copied to new notes.
Reproduced this one, will fix, thanks.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:36 am Bug: Windows emoji picker Win+; seems to be bugged in 10RC1 note.
Will attempt to fix this one, as well.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:38 am There is something really bizarre going on with font spacing in version 10.
That's how font scaling works. Nothing can be done here, unfortunately.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 am Error when using the "Edit in EPIM" function of a sticky note.
Unable to reproduce. Please check it out on a new database.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:34 am In icon mode, there is a lot of unnecessary space being taken up under the Kanban Board navigation link text.
If you're on a Portable version, make sure there's the latest English.lng file in the app's folder. That empty space is for the Group By options.
a8907433 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:52 am Favorites in notes: I have three trees in notes; I made one note in tree #3 favorite, go back to tree #1 (my standard tree, I most often use) and then I want to see my favorite... in tree #3. EPIM says, "no favorite note"..... ok, it´s the wrong tree, but I think, favorite notes should be shown, indifferent which tree it is in!
Noted, will make necessary adjustments.
ЛеонидЛогинов wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:03 pm Why has the function "show this task in the calendar" disappeared? :oops:
For testing purposes. It will be back before the final release, though.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!