Quick Notes in Calendar Day View

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Ipim19
Expert

Quick Notes in Calendar Day View

Post by Ipim19 »

When I am in Calendar Day View, I would like to be able to write down some random notes for this day somewhere on the side without making them a Task or Appointment .

Basically like if the Tasks section on the side would be a single open note that can hold random lines of info for the day which I can quickly add and edit.

Does this already exist? If not > can anyone recommend a "workaround solution"?

The closest I got is opening a note in an extra window... but it's not very practical since I didn't find a way to dock it.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick Notes in Calendar Day View

Post by admin »

I'd suggest you to make such a note sticky and in this case it should provide you with the exact functionality you've been looking for.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Ipim19
Expert

Post by Ipim19 »

Thank you for the suggestion. Probably due to my lack of a better explanation of what I am trying to accomplish, a sticky note does not what I was looking for.

Let me try again. > When in Calendar Module > day view > I can see on the left side of the screen the current day with all it's appointments and on the right side I can see a list of Tasks. Exactly at the location where the Tasks are, I (ideally) would like to have a note. The key here is that it needs to be docked somehow or a Tab - to tab between the note and the Tasks. If it is not fixed in place it's not practical.

I would like to be able to quickly write down random notes during the day that are neither an appointment nor a task. The reason why I do not want to use a sticky or a standard note for this is that they require an extra "window". I tried (ab-)using the tasks list for these kind of notes... but it's impractical.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Understood, thanks for the suggestion.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

On Calendar, Month, Day, or Week right click menu " Add Appointment, Add Task, Add Today's Notes ".
To Day's Notes.jpeg
To Day's Notes.jpeg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Ipim19
Expert

Post by Ipim19 »

Hi Victor, thanks a lot for the anwer! But I can't figure out what I am supposed to do. Could you please explain it a little more in detail?
If I right clicked everywhere but cannot find anything about notes. Only appointments and tasks.

Where am I supposed to make the right click? and what will it do?

Thank you
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Ipim19
Suggestion:
Right click on the day where you want the note to be.
Add Note
Later, right click on the day where the note is.
View Note
2022-01-13_100009.jpg
2022-01-13_100009.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Ipim19
Expert

Post by Ipim19 »

Ok, I think I get it... this is supposed to be a suggestion how such a function could be implemented in a future version.
When I was reading your first post I thought you were describing an already available solution.

Thank you : )
mihalvld
Guru

Post by mihalvld »

Related to this topic.
+1
EPIM Pro Portable 10.2 / Windows 7, 10
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

+1. A scratchpad (area) for random notes is a good idea. It would give a fast way to jolt down a random thought before you loose it. Overall, It helps workflow by minimizing the interruption of an idea being recorded.

Per Admin's suggestion, I tried using a sticky. For mocking up the concept, it works fine for that. But in practice, not so much, as earlier said, a separate window outside of EPIM is screen clutter and when I minimize EPIM, I want that scratchpad to minimize as well, then reappear when bringing EPIM back up. If I want a scratchpad with screen persistence, then I would use a sticky note.

A number of software development editors use the scratchpad concept in a similar fashion. It's a place to jolt down some code that would be used somewhere else. (It's also used as a clipboard as well).

If this scratchpad idea is implemented, it might make sense to have whatever is on it to carry over to the next day. One would want to "process" the thoughts on it and move them to a more permanent area (notes, appointments, tasks, etc.) - this would force processing before the scratchpad got too big.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.