Backup DB did not succeed EPIM 10.0.2

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PIMUsr2048
Guru

Re: Backup DB did not succeed EPIM 10.0.2

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

No. They were in different folders. My primary DB is on Dropbox. The backup empty DB is on my PC.

Would Frank H's suggestion: go to a previous version of EPIM help? As I said before, I need to be able sync my DB between my PC and my 2 android devices ASAP, since the DB on my 2 android devices are getting further and further apart. I have a copy of EPIM Pro 9.10 that I could reinstall, or install into a different folder in C:\Program Files (x86) if that would help.

Once I have a way to keep the 3 working active DBs in sync, I am willing to continue to troubleshoot this problem with 10.0.2.

Thanks for your help.
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Hello PimUser1048,
I completely uninstalled EPIM Pro 10.0.2 and reinstalled it, except for registry entries.
If a program in Windows is not working correct, I would remove the registry entries whatever happens! Here Windows looks how to proceed when opening the program.... so if here something is wrong, Windows will do it wrong the next time too!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your current database file form EPIM 10.x cannot be opened with EPIM 9.x due to changes in the DB structure. Why can't you sync with your Android devices at the moment? Backup shouldn't influence that in any way.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
PIMUsr2048
Guru

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

Hi, As you suggested I opened the DB on EPIM Pro, and tried to sync my 2 Android versions to the PC version. The initial 2 syncs took a very long time to complete, mostly while saving the DBs. Eventually, each sync completed, after resolving the one conflicting appointment (event) between each Android DB and the EPIM Pro DB. After these initial syncs, subsequent syncs seem to work in a reasonable amount of time.

At this point, I'm back to the initial "Can't Backup the DB" error when opening the DB. How can we resolve this error, so I can run EPIM Pro without any errors?

I think my DB is pretty large with 10542 Appointments (7.4 MB), 45 Notes (72.7 KB), 907 Contacts (931.4 KB) and 1863 Trash items (2.1 MB).

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your DB is actually a small one :) Do you still run it from Dropbox?
PIMUsr2048
Guru

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

I'm glad my DB is considered small. Yes, I am running it from Dropbox. The file size on Dropbox is ~4 MB. I have 2 PCs where I am running EPIM. I think that Dropbox is the best way to access the same DB on both machines. If there is a better way, I'd be up for than.

What is the next step to resolve the issue with my DB? I need to retain all the data that is in my working DB. Do I remove the DB from Dropbox, and build a new DB containing all the data. Will using the EPIM Synchronizer or Archive Dup Remover help?

Again, Thanks for your help.
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PIMUsr2048 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 pm What is the next step to resolve the issue with my DB? I need to retain all the data that is in my working DB. Do I remove the DB from Dropbox, and build a new DB containing all the data. Will using the EPIM Synchronizer or Archive Dup Remover help?
Yes, I'd suggest you to do exactly that. First move the DB on one of the PCs out of Dropbox nad then sync it over to the new one using EPIM Synchronizer.
PIMUsr2048
Guru

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

How do I move the DB out of Dropbox? When I Open the DB, from Dropbox, the Save As button in the File menu is grayed out. How do I save this file so it does not have a connection to the DB in Dropbox?
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

Just save it directly to your PC, how Dropbox normally works...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tools->Options->Dropbox. There's going to be a button specifically for that.
PIMUsr2048
Guru

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

Thanks for the info on removing my DB from Dropbox.

I then tried your suggestion. I took my DB out of Dropbox, and used the EPIM Synchronizer to clone the DB into a new file with a slightly different name in the same folder as the original file.

I then tried to open the new cloned DB using EPIM Pro, by double clicking on the new File's name in Windows Explorer.

Unfortunately, after opening the new DB, I received the same Backup of your database file did not succeed... error popup.

Now, what do I try?

Again, thanks for your help.
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

Do you have a backup database that you can open in a 9.10 era program version? Seems something got corrupted along the way with the "hosted on Dropbox" method. I'd try to simplify things, and be diligent on the backups schedule, clear on folder locations etc.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Where's your database file located? In which folder? Try moving it to another drive and folder.
PIMUsr2048
Guru

Post by PIMUsr2048 »

Frank H, thanks for your suggestion, Unfortunately, I don't have a version 9.10 DB that I can use.

Admin:

I tried moving the database file to several folders on both my C: and D: drives. My PC is configured with 3 real drives: C: (which is a ~220 GB SSD), D: (which is an ~2 TB NTFS hard drive), and N : (which is a 5 TB hard drive, that hosts the 2 TB ASZ, leaving ~3TB as a NTFS partition) and finally a 2 TB network appliance, which is not compatible with EPIM Pro.

I've tried hosting the DB on several folders on both C: & D:. What would be the point in trying this again?

At this point, while I would like to help you figure out the root problem, we seem to be stuck. I have not received any useful suggestions on how to move forward, for several weeks. Since we haven't been able to figure out what is going on with my DB and EPIM configuration, how can I recover my DB and move on? Would creating a new clean DB, and syncing the data that is on my Android devices allow me to continue? If not, what else can I try?

Thanks for your help resolving this issue.
Bill Lehrman
PIMUsr2048
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

It seems you ran into issues concurrent with version 10.0.2?
If you have database backups, you can grab a prior program version here, that should get you functional:
https://essentialpim.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... ialPIM-Pro