Button size again

The forum for translators and users of localized versions
chabar2000

Button size again

Post by chabar2000 »

Hi,

some people around asked, if resizing of buttons is possible. I know, we've discussed this topic before...

Anyway, maybe you can check once again:

notes - right panel - rename --> in german: umbenennen (so one letter-space more would be enough)

schedule - task info - reminder - advanced - browse... --> in german: durchsuchen... (the same here, but we could also remove the "...").

Regards from Vienna
Cha
chabar2000

Button size again (German translation)

Post by chabar2000 »

And in the PRO Version:

Attachments: Save as... is too short for "Speichern als..."
Alternative (like in picture-tab): save...

Backup: Backup now is too short for "Backup starten"

Regards,
Cha
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Cha! Noted..
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
gtech
Beta Team

Post by gtech »

I also wanted to post about that a long time ago, but always tried to change the words in the french translation to better fit the buttons.

But it's not always possible.

But something that doesn't help if the the buttons are not always the same size and seems to be made to fit the english words instead of being all the same. So as you can see in the picture, it makes it even harder to be translated.

Translating "Hide Groups" to 'Masquer les Groupes" as in the original french tranlation doesn't help. I would have tried something shorter as "Cacher Groupes". But as you can see, the button is smaller for these Groups items than for the other items in the Tasks (Tâches in french) items.

Gilles
Attachments
EPM.jpg
EPM.jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 14187 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can name the button "Masquer", while a tooltip will be showing "Masquer les Groupes". We did that with the "Hide" button in the To Do module. Have a look at it. Wider buttons do not look nice, unfortunately.
vvorl

Post by vvorl »

Just a suggestion: wouldn't it be more obvious to make that button act the opposite way - to show Groups when pressed and hide when unpressed ? At least it could be then named just "Groups" rather than "Show Groups" and help to avoid translation problems :)
And, more than that - with "Groups" only a user can easily see by button appearance (pressed/unpressed) if groups should be visible or not.
ikkyu
Beta Team

Post by ikkyu »

In fact, what I did in the italian translation was Groups Yes/No.

This problem recurs often as Italian, French and German, but I expect it to be so for many other languages, have longer words than english.
vvorl

Post by vvorl »

I did almost the same for russian file, just Groups, but because initial button is Hide Groups, it seems not so logical - Groups are visible when the button is unpressed and vice versa. That's why I supposed to change initial button action/name from "Hide Groups" to "Groups" only (meaning "[Show] Groups").
ikkyu
Beta Team

Post by ikkyu »

vvorl wrote:[...] because initial button is Hide Groups, it seems not so logical - Groups are visible when the button is unpressed and vice versa.
So a workaround would be to have access to a tool-tip...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vvorl, this topic has been already discussed: viewtopic.php?t=1997

ikkyu, yes, we'll introduce a tooltip for the Hide Groups button in 1.8 Beta2.
vvorl

Post by vvorl »

Hi admin

Thanks for the link, I missed that topic. As for the tooltip, it's a good idea. I see it in 1.8 b2 and it really can clear confusion.

But I have one more suggestion. It's not considered button size, but related to "fit" problem.
There are two windows for Task (picture 1) and To-Do (picture 2) information. Both of them have the same fields and names, but different sizes for Priority name and list window. That's why translated To-Do part doesn't fit as well as the same Task part.
Couldn't it be possible to make To-Do Info window the same width as Task? That's not a problem really, but having all similar fields identical could help with other translations as well.
Attachments
EPIM 3.jpg
EPIM 3.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 14132 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, sure, good point. Will do that in the next minor release of EPIM.