Calendar month display small annoyance.

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ckmunoz
Novice

Calendar month display small annoyance.

Post by ckmunoz »

A relatively minor Calendar month display annoyance in V9 and later:

Prior to V9 month display event fields showed just the event name -- or the beginning thereof, if lengthy, depending on days-of-week configuration setting. Now, if the event name is "short", the event field display runs on into the beginning of the location field.

Somewhat messy, is there a reason for this change - ? - CKM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Calendar month display small annoyance.

Post by admin »

Not sure I fully understand the problem. Please share a screenshot, indicating it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

In the past I also did not like it, but now I do not "see" (give no attention to it) anymore, but I guess ckmunoz means this
Appointment_location.jpg
Appointment_location.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 453 times
In the 1st appointment you see the full location (home) and in the 2nd appointment you see a part of the location (Townsville).
I do not know if this has been changed in version 9 or before, but I agree in older versions the location was only shown in the pop-up of the appointment, not in the monthview. As mentioned it does not bother me, but I can imagine that some people find it an annoyance, especially because often you only see a part of the location.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see now, thanks for the explanation, PeCe. We can make it optional or simply disable completely if users don't need that kind of info to be shown on in the Calendar's Month view. Let's see if other users support this.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I just checked several months in monthview and in maybe 2 percent of time I see a small part of the location. That is why it doesn't bother me too much. But in monthview the location has not much purpose. In the other views like day, week, week agenda it has more purpose and is shown as it should be.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
ckmunoz
Novice

Post by ckmunoz »

Thank you, Peter / PeCe (& Admin) for jumping in here, with apologies for my not having followed up more timely.

Yes, that's it exactly, in month view as originally stated -- 7 day week, number of weeks can vary. I rarely use any other view so wouldn't know about those.

While I can't speak for anyone else, I myself do find it both distracting and annoying to have truncated spillback of both the note and location fields into the event name field, when I thought that that was the purpose of the mouse hover popup. Since for other reasons I use semicolons to terminate all three fields, what I frequently see is a series of semicolons with blank spaces preceeding, which to me indicates that the code isn't handling semicolons properly at all.

If month view is set to 5 day week instead of 7, then all that much more spills back into the event field.

This was just fine in V7.66, where the content of only the event field showed in calendar, whether the event name was "long" or "short". If "long" it spilled out and away, offstage as one would expect, no problem. Then it became broken sometime in V8, I'm not sure just when. Although I don't recall having seen any user requests for event field expansion, I'm not insisting that there weren't any. I suspect, rather, that this was an unintended consequence of some other code change.

Does anyone know about that? I can put together a screen clip or two for you, but unless you want me to, I think you have the jist already. In order to screen clip from V7.66 I'd need to pull out a W11 ThinkPad which has 7.66 on it with a 7.66 database, which is not my production machine.

- CKM (Christopher Muñoz)