Novice

3-way synch

Post by Cap'n Dan »

I would like to to run a single synchronized EPIM datafile on:
Windows desktop
Windows laptop
Android phone

Is that possible?

I have already bought one lifetime EPIM Pro installation for the laptop. Will I need to buy another for the desktop?

Will EPIM handle my email on the android?
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: 3-way synch

Post by Steve Shank »

I do my phone, tablet and windows desktop. I use the Desktop sync. You have to leave the program running all the time. Occasionally it is a bit flakey, but 95% of the time it works flawlessly and so far I've not had any issues with 6.02. The thing to remember is that you are NOT doing 3 way sync. You are doing 2 way sync always. You sync between two devices. Then you will sync between one of those and another device. But, it is always a 2 way sync. They don't do 3 devices simultaneously. So, if you changed a particular record on your laptop, and afterwards changed it on your phone, and then synced your laptop to your desktop. Then changed the newer phone with the desktop, it could lose the laptop changes because the phone changes were newer. So it is important that if you make changes, you sync those.

I suspect it would be ok if you didn't change the same record on two devices before syncing.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Email is not in EPIM Android.

For other modules:

If you don't use EPIM on laptop and desktop at the same time,I guess you could use a portable installation of EPIM on a flash drive or external HD. Plug it into laptop or desktop, whichever you want to work on. Then you're in fact reducing to 2 devices:
- EPIM on external drive (which you use on desktop or laptop - not simultaniously)
- EPIM on phone

I guess there are other options as well, but I don't have experience with those:
If laptop and desktop are on a network, you can use one database on a shared location. Then you open that database from your laptop or your desktop (not simultaneously).
or you can have laptop and desktop use a seperate database that you keep in sync via Dropbox
or you can use EPIM Cloud
or use Pro Business version if you need to work on laptop and desktop at the same time

Not sure about number of licenses you would need for these different scenarios.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't forget about EPIM Cloud, which will also allow you to have identical data on all devices.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

(Before I retired) I used EPIM on my work PC and on my home PC. I kept them synched with my phone. I also synced my home PC with a tablet, which I find more convenient than a phone for "complex" stuff. No problems related to any elements of that process.
Because we weren't allowed to install personal software at work, I tried using EPIM portable on a USB stick. It was very slow, almost unusable. I solved that by "installing" EPIM portable on a personal folder on my work PC (which didn't create any installation files, etc ...). That satisfied my conscience :-). And worked just fine.
Peter