Oldest version supported

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

virtualorbis

Oldest version supported

Post by virtualorbis »

Hello,
I thinking of using EssentialPIM in old computers but was wondering what is the oldest version of Microsoft Windows that is supported
Triple S
Expert

Re: Oldest version supported

Post by Triple S »

Not a dev, but... EPIM users internet explore for it's email still which needs to be changed, but because of that it still runs all the way back to at least windows xp, I have one old XP system I use it on*. Sooner or later though it REALLY needs to be updated to edge at which point it'll become windows 7 or later only at least for email.

I don't use the current version of EPIM on my windows XP system, the code become much heavier after version 6 and vastly heavy after version 7.

For the best performance I'd use version 6 on XP or older.
For the modern-er interface I'd go with 7 or 8. Version 7 had a lot of good feedback from the community on classic theme support in windows 7 so it looks like a proper moden-er program even on Windows 7 and XP using classic theme which is awesome and makes it a nice looking program.

I run version 6 for my stuff because it was built for and works the best with old systems.
Version 6 also runs better than the current version of EPIM general in that it handles bigger data with less issues, and loads bigger data faster. It of course can't be used for modern secure email [lacks Oauth, Oauth2..etc], but if you are XP or lower you shouldn't be using that system for "safe" email anyway due to other security issues.

The biggest down side is probably that you'll be limited to the free version of 6 since you can't buy it any longer, at least not directly on the website, support might sell you a copy they tend to be pretty open minded about weird things like that compared to other companies.