Android/Windows Calendar Sync - Oddities

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Dierk
Expert

Android/Windows Calendar Sync - Oddities

Post by Dierk »

Situation: Teach a class Monday Evenings. Study runs from Sep 12 - Nov 21, 6pm - 9pm. Created Series in Win EPIM (Pro), synced to Android Epim (both versions of EPIM are current).

Oddities:
1) The Android Series "Magically" moved itself to 12am - 3am (on the same days as the original series). No idea WHEN or HOW...
Two-Way Sync NEITHER Removed the erroneous Android times NOR Added the (correct) Windows entries.

2) Added NOTES to ONE of the Windows Occurrences - Windows then populated the WRONG times from Android - but left the CORRECTLY timed appointments in place (therefore had 2 Series on the calendar). Deleted the "12am - 3am" Series in Windows - the 6pm - 9pm INITIALLY ALSO DISAPPEARED, but then Reappeared (!).

3) Another Sync: Android now shows BOTH Times (inherited the Correct times from Windows, but kept the incorrect time)

4) Deleted the Incorrectly Timed series from Android: but BOTH the Incorrect AND Correct Series disappeared.

5) Changed to One-Way Sync, Windows Overrides: Now Android inherits the Correctly Timed series from Windows BUT the ADDED NOTES from the (one) Edited Windows occurrence have disappeared....

Alas, don't have a lot of time to Troubleshoot (esp today...) - but AS QUESTIONS:

A) Is it a BAD IDEA to try to Add NOTES to SINGLE OCCURRENCE of a SERIES?

B) Has anyone else experienced similar problems with Win/Android Sync? Solution(s)?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Android/Windows Calendar Sync - Oddities

Post by admin »

Is that a direct type of sync via wi-fi or the one via EPIM Cloud?
As for the times - please make sure the time zone settings are identical as on your PC as on your Android device.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Sync via wi-fi; both devices are set to Eastern Time Zone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

May I ask you to please share a screenshot with details of the recurring event that was initially created in WinEPIM?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
heribert007

Post by heribert007 »

Hi Dierk,

having the same or a similar problem I have started a new discussion here, title:
"Recurring Events destroyed or deleted when synchronizing between a PC and the Android-version"

Time zone is probably not the problem since here in Germany we are working with only one time zone
(apart from "Eastern-German time", but that´s a different issue). ;-)

Quick fix:
- Don´t modify recurring events once they have been entered.
- Especially: Don´t modify i n d i v i d u a l events that are part of a series.

For modification purposes enter a new event parallel to the one concerned and add comments there,
f.e. "class not taking place this day". For the Windows-Version: If the duration of the "comment-event"
is as long or longer than the original one, it will appear to the right of the original event thus improving
readibility. Adding colours (f.e. via categories) will also help improving the perception.

Furthermore: This problem seems to come, disappear and reappear with new versions coming and "going".
It´s a lasting problem with ePIM.

BTW: I am also using this functionalities for the planning of classes at a university. ;-)

Regards
H.