Word wrap in Contacts Notes not working?

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jsc
Guru

Word wrap in Contacts Notes not working?

Post by jsc »

Win10Pro64 with EPim 11.1.11 Pro.

All of a sudden word wrap is not working in the Contacts view Notes field, in either the wide view or the vertical view. Seems to be fine in the Contacts entry page with all of the fields.

There is no setting for this - it has always been word wrap in these views.

Not sure when this started, but 11.1.11 it seems broken.

Database shows version 9.0 through 11.1.11
jsc
Guru

Re: Word wrap in Contacts Notes not working?

Post by jsc »

Sync'd to a new blank database created with 11.1.11. Did not help. Notes in Contacts views still not word wrapping to window. Sometimes the first contacted viewed when opening the database is wrapped, but others in the database still not wrapping - everything all on one line.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

I'm using WinEPIM Pro 11.1.11 with Win10. I can resize the contact window and the notes field adjusts word wrapping properly.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I did try resizing the main window, but it had no effect at the time. Some Notes seem to word wrap, but a lot of others don't. If I exit EPim on a record that is not word wrapping, then restart EPim, the text word wraps on that record.

It's as if the more I tinker with the Contacts, then exit and then restart EPim, more records are word wrapping properly.

It's acting like EPim is doing some restructuring on the database, and it is taking time to do it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please share a screenshot so that we could understand the issue better. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxi9d8kuanu50 ... p.png?dl=0[/img]

Hope the link works. There is one line of text, and it is not wrapping. I even exited EPIM and then restarted on this contact, but it still did not wrap.

I also tried cutting the whole line of text from the Note window, then immediately repasted it, but still no wrap. Cut the line again, pasted into a text editor, then copied and pasted back into EPIM - still won't wrap.

The main contact editing window does not have this problem - text wraps as expected.

Resizing the window did nothing.

But not all records show this problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, clear now, although we couldn't reproduce the problem. Will it happen with a diferent long line of text and a new sample contact?
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I copied the line of text that was not wrapping in the shown contact to a NEW contact. Text wraps in the NEW CONTACT view when I paste it into the Notes field, but when I go to the normal view, it does not wrap.

5000+ names in the contact database. Many of them have long text items in the Notes field, and most of them are NOT wrapping in the normal Contact views.

Again, I just noticed this with the 11.1.11 update. And remember, I did sync this database to the new 11.1 format and the probem persists.

I can't say for sure, but I don't remember this being a problem in the versions from this past summer, ie, 10+.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I just created a NEW contact, and typed in NEW text into the Notes field of the New Contact input screen. Still same result, the new text will not wrap in the normal view screen. It does not seem to matter what is in the text line.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try exporting a couple of affected contacts into the new EPIM database (File->Export->Contacts->EssentialPIM Database). If you notice the same problem with the exported data, archive the DB file and forward to us. Thanks!
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Very strange. Notes that did not wrap previously, wrapped the next time I looked at them. Then all of a sudden, they were not wrapping anymore.

Even exporting to a new database (5 records are 3mb+???), the records would sometimes wrap, then as I looked at another record, they would not wrap. Very random.

Email with zipped db sent... (only 5 records)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will have a look at it.

DB isn't a text file, there's lots of supportive information included, hence the 3 MB size. Even an empty one would be roughly same size.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Still not fixed with 11.2.1. Just opened the database with minimal history (11.1.11, 11.1, 11.1.5, 10.2.1, 11.2.1), and 5-10 contacts that I looked at with long texts in the Notes section were still not wrapping. I opened and exited EPIM several times, and no change. Before, it seemed somewhat intermittent, meaning some contacts would alternate between unwrapped and wrapped, but now it seems unwrapped is "fixed".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Then please follow the instructions I mentioned couple of posts above.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

What instructions? You mean exporting a small group of contacts that exhibit the problem and send to you? Those contacts that I sent previously still exhibit the "no wrap" issue, so how is sending that same group to you going to result in a fix?

And again, the issue is intermittent. Opening, then exiting EPIM, and reopening the database sometimes results Notes that are wrapped, and sometimes not wrapped. Sometimes clicking on another record then going back to the record that was previously wrapped, now it is unwrapped.

So the small DB that I sent previously is doing the same things. No change.