Calendar, 14 Day Week, "Today" Centering

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ecsaltz
Guru

Calendar, 14 Day Week, "Today" Centering

Post by ecsaltz »

Because I have a 34", hirez monitor with a lot of displayable area, I use a 14 day, week mode, calendar presentation. When I click the "Today" button, no matter have far into the future (or into the past) I might be, after display updating, the "Today" cursor might be in any one of the 14 days I see. So, if the cursor lands on the last day of the 14 days now shown, and I really want to see the future 13 days afterwards, I have to move the cursor 13 times, so that "Today" is on the far left, and all the future days are now to the right of it. But, there are times I would like to see the 13 days (past history) to the left of "Today". Other times, I need to see a little history and a little future, so "Today" would be somewhat centered in my 14 day, week mode, calendar presentation.

My suggestion is a modification to the existing "Today" button. Add a dropdown menu to it that allows for selecting "Far Left", "Center" and "Far Right" of "Today"'s placement. I would keep the button's default as it currently is. I don't think this suggestion is useful for other calendar modes.

As an alternative to the dropdown menu, a set of similar keyboard shortcuts would work just about as well.

On the topic of large monitors and the week mode calendar, increasing the limit of displayable days from 14 to 21 would be quite useful.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: Calendar, 14 Day Week, "Today" Centering

Post by Steve Shank »

I'd like to hopefully improve this, particularly for smaller monitors. If we could have either another view or add the ability to drag to today column back and forth to wherever you want, so you could have it a couple days from the left or anywhere else. If not that, then an option to determine the week's start date. Or a template that allows you to choose a column and make that column the start date.

The problem for me is that toward the end of the period in the calendar, I do a 9 day week and toward the end of the week, I don't get to see far enough in the future. Weeks start on Sunday, which means that by the next saturday or sunday, I only get to see the following Monday.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Steve Shank wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:08 am I'd like to hopefully improve this, particularly for smaller monitors. If we could have either another view or add the ability to drag to today column back and forth to wherever you want, so you could have it a couple days from the left or anywhere else. If not that, then an option to determine the week's start date. Or a template that allows you to choose a column and make that column the start date.

The problem for me is that toward the end of the period in the calendar, I do a 9 day week and toward the end of the week, I don't get to see far enough in the future. Weeks start on Sunday, which means that by the next saturday or sunday, I only get to see the following Monday.
The drag to today column concept would work for me as well, likely better than the suggested solution in my original post.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the initial and for the extended suggestions. Will think about best possible ways of implementing them.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Anything happening with this?
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Steve Shank wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:59 am Anything happening with this?
+1
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you don't see a feature in the latest release, that means it is still in the to do list scheduled for implementation in the future versions.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Thanks. I'm happy to know it is on the ToDo list!