Journal Module

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Outdated
Novice

Journal Module

Post by Outdated »

I know the is a notes section, but if EPIM had a daily journal feature I think that a lot of people could use it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Journal Module

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, noted!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Outdated
Novice

Post by Outdated »

You guys make a great product. I have been following you for years. EPIM is like have an epalmpilot that fits in your hands. Errr in your phone. Err like having an app. You know what I mean.

Please bring back the wired syncing standard!!! Life was so simple years ago when the android just attached to your computer, and you could just transfer stuff. I feel all these wifi radio waves are frying my brain.

Any way. I have to change my name to Dated.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Hello Outdated!

1) there are more than one topics, concerning a journal-function in this forum. For me a combination of notes + calendar ist the solution.

2) Transfering data with with a USB-cable would be my dream too (transfering the whole db), but as far as I know, this is impossible for technical reasons. You can´t just open a Windows db in Android.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

a8907433,

Concerning "You can´t just open a Windows db in Android." My old Palm used to sync databases between Desktop and Android. If technology that old could do it, it should be trivial now. I assume the desktop side uses some kind of translater software to convert formats between the two databases. I too would MUCH prefer syncing on wire.

Also, I asked for a Journal years ago but Admin seems resistant for some reason. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Bill L
Last edited by kb5cth on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Synchronization over a USB cable is possible, please see here: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm.

A journal module isn't considered as a top priority feature at the moment concerning recourses needed for its implementation and the impact it would make. This may change anytime, though.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

The Sync-via-USB method you showed is complicated and involved. My old Palm simply had a single button that was pressed to initiate the process, and it always worked flawlessly. Could you automate this process to make it as simple as the old Palm devices were? As simple as "Plug device in, press a button on the UI, wait for the "Done" dialogue, unplug device"?

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We probably could, although the number of users who'd benefit of having this feature available to them is likely very low.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

The Sync-via-USB method you showed is complicated and involved.
That´s the reason, I don´t use it. But I would, at the moment I have no possibillity to sync (one way) to my phone. Neither EPIM Cloud nor WIFI is working correct. No way to sync calendar.

But.... Ill give the new V11.1.11 a try......

But nevertheless, just plug in my phone and synchronize data would be wonderfull! For me that would take not more time than the few cklicks for syncing with WIFI. (IF it works...).
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I would assume the large number of people who sync over Wi-Fi isn't because they like it. It's more likely because it's the only simple method offered. When I first bought EPIM, I was shocked to find there wasn't a way to sync over USB and truly didn't want to use the frequently buggy Wi-Fi...but had no choice. If you offered a simple USB option, I would never have even bothered with Sync-via-Wi-Fi.

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

a8907433, kb5cth - thanks for your input, will take it into consideration.
Outdated
Novice

Post by Outdated »

I would pay for a sync module by usb. I would pay an extra 20 bucks for it! I mean it's just so much more convenient and safer too!!