SpreadSheet Module

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Argenthos
Experienced

SpreadSheet Module

Post by Argenthos »

Having a spreedsheet module inside EssentialPIM would be incredible.
I know it has been asked before in the past but i think it would be a really big plus having a basic spreadsheet to put stuff like daily expenses, or trip calculations etc. The possibilities are endless.

So, i ask if in the future you might considerate finding a solution, like inbed some opensource spreedsheet, make your own module, or even use google sheets in some way.

As a workaround i placed a note in my essentialPIM portable database, with the small Spread32 software executable attached. But it is quite troublesome to save the output file outside EPIM and then attach.

Than you for your time.
Max
Site Admin

Re: SpreadSheet Module

Post by Max »

Thank you, your suggestion is noted. Yes, true, there were requests for this previously (although mainly about adding this functionality into Notes module). We are still contemplating this, but it is a significant investment to make.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Any updates on this?
I find as I add related information in the Notes section that I end up trying to put it all into a spreadsheet like format to then be able to sort it by column. The other option would be able to embed Google Sheets into Notes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A simple spreadsheet module (or sub-module for Notes) is in the plans.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

A friend had me try AM-Notebook today: https://www.aignes.com/notebook.htm

I find the interface un-usable because of the blinding colors, and lack of dark mode, but the spreadsheet system is a nearly prefect example of what I think a lot of us hope EPIM gets some day.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Looking forward to it.
With the current table function in Notes is there a method to add many rows at once?
All I see is when you right click in the Table and can only add 1 row at a time.
Also, speaking of the Notes area, it would be awesome if when right clicking you could have an option to add the current Date. Know you can do this from the pulldown menu but would be quicker if available via right click from any Note.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can use the Tab key to add more rows for tables. And then there's the Ctrl+Space shortcut for adding date&time.
johncesta
Guru

Post by johncesta »

I use an application called RightNotes
It has an internal spreadsheet that does calculations and such just like excel.

Check it out.
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus
johncesta
Guru

Post by johncesta »

Actually in Epim if you add a spreadsheet as an internal attachment and then open it within epim and work on it it will save it back to epim and update it.

So while you may not be able to SEE the spreadsheet directly within the note you can certainly store it in a note and work on it.
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Any updates on the Spreadsheet module being added?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not in the nearest versions.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Rose Ford wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm A friend had me try AM-Notebook today: https://www.aignes.com/notebook.htm

I find the interface un-usable because of the blinding colors, and lack of dark mode, but the spreadsheet system is a nearly prefect example of what I think a lot of us hope EPIM gets some day.
Took a look at again. May have to go this route if EPIM doesn't add a Spreadsheet module in the forseeable future.
The spreadsheet module does look appealing. Wonder if it has Freeze header capability so that as you scroll down a spreadsheet the header stays with you for reference.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

May have to go the AM-Notebook route if EPIM doesn't come up with a Spreadsheet module anytime soon. Would just hate to transfer all my data over, and want to be able to have the same view of data from anywhere (which is limited with EPIM at the moment).
Have considered modifying the Contacts module with a Group for me to keep up with data more in a tabular format as I track notes on hundreds of websites and want to be able to easily sort among the columns (and where headers are always visible similar to the freeze function in spreadsheets) and could track with the Calendar module for followups. Anyone have examples of doing something similar now by customizing Contacts?