EPIM deletes message to myself

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

lphilpot
Guru

EPIM deletes message to myself

Post by lphilpot »

11.2.1 on Windows 11

I've noticed that if I cc:, bcc: or even explicitly send an email to the same originating (sender) account, it gets automatically deleted upon receipt.

For example, I have two accounts configured - My personal account and a shared account for me and my wife (both GMail IMAP):
  • If I send an email from one of those accounts to the same account, it's delivered but immediately deleted. I've watched it happen and it ends up in the Deleted Items folder. Sometimes it's copied to Sent Items but not always.
  • If I send an email from either account to the other account, it's delivered and stays in the destination Inbox.
  • If I send an email from another client (e.g., Thunderbird, GMail web, etc.) there are no issues, everything is delivered and "survives" normally.
So it's only when the sender and recipient are the same account that the email is deleted upon receipt. I have no message rules in EPIM, and the messages in GMail web & Thunderbird mirror exactly what I'm seeing here, so it's definitely EPIM doing it. It doesn't happen elsewhere. I can't find any setting anywhere that looks likely. This happens immediately so it's not some weird sychronization issue.

Any idea how to disable this auto-delete? Not infrequently I copy myself on emails for the record, so this is a problem.

Thanks.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
lphilpot
Guru

Re: EPIM deletes message to myself

Post by lphilpot »

OK, slight update / clarification (maybe?) after a couple more tests.

Now I'm not sure EPIM is actually even sending the email. It looks like it does, but I never see anything hit the Inbox in return. Here's where it gets inconsistent:
  • Send an email from my personal account to my personal account - When I go to Sent Items, it's briefly there, disappears and then it's in Deleted Items
  • Send an email from our shared account to our shared account - When I go to Sent Items, it stays there and is not deleted
In neither case does it arrive in the respective Inbox. Both accounts are bog standard GMail accounts via IMAP and they're both setup in EPIM identically. There's no way I've tried to point them at each other, etc. Nothing special.

This type of simple setup used to work in previous EPIM versions, as well as in Thunderbird (which I used in the interim since I last used EPIM a couple of years ago). I looked in the log but everything there looks to be sync-related and nothing looked relevant. Nothing at all in the Event viewer.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirm this issue with Gmail accounts. Will be fixed in the next EPIM's update. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

Excellent... thanks!
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

admin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm Confirm this issue with Gmail accounts. Will be fixed in the next EPIM's update. Thanks!
Would that be EPIM 11.2.3? I just updated and it seems only partially fixed. Tests:

Test 1 - Sent from my GMail account direct to my same GMail account
Success

Test 2 - Sent from my GMail account direct to my Windows Live account, cc:-ed to my GMail account
Failed -- Windows Live message received normally, GMail cc: message is deleted upon receipt*

Test 3 - Sent from my GMail account direct to my Windows Live account, bcc:-ed to my GMail account
Failed -- Windows Live message received normally, GMail bcc: message is deleted upon receipt*

So, If I email myself directly it works, but not if I copy myself.

* If I cc: or bcc: myself, EPIM either deletes the message and / or doesn't send it. I can't tell if it's sent to deleted items without sending or if it's sent but immediately deleted upon receipt. Either way, it ends up in deleted items instead of my inbox.

Thanks.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will try to fix the failed attempts in the next update.
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

Thanks for the quick reply!
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

I have the same problem, is it allready fixed? (EssentialPIM PRO 11.2.3)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please see the comment by lphilpot 2 posts above yours. Test 1 - fixed and working, Tests 2,3 - scheduled for fix in the next update.
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

This is getting even stranger. Now I'm finding EPIM (sometimes? always?) sends my outgoing emails to Deleted Items, instead of to Sent Items. These are emails sent to other people, not to myself. Instead of finding a copy of my sent email in Sent Items, the copy is in Deleted Items.

???
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is that an IMAP or POP3 mail account? Is it still a Gmail one?
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

The account I'm using is a GMail account, accessed via IMAP.

Thanks.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd suggest you to remove the account and then re-add it back. If the problem reappears, forward us the log file, please.
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

I've removed and readded - I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream
lphilpot
Guru

Post by lphilpot »

OK, this is kind of starting to tick me off...

I got an email from a friend. I composed a lengthy reply (30 minutes of typing and research, etc.), hit Send and it disappeared completely. Nothing in Sent Items, nothing in Deleted Items, nothing in Inbox. Nada, zilch. I went to my GMail account on the web and there was a link on the email thread that said "two more deleted messages in topic" (or something along those lines). I clicked that and the message I sent appeared in my Inbox. If it was deleted, why wasn't it in Deleted Items? Where was it? And why had it been deleted? I contacted my friend via another method and he got my reply.

I have some auto-sorting rules at Google -- not in EPIM -- which apply GMail labels based on subject line text matches, but that's it. I'm not doing anything weird between EPIM and GMail.

Where is the log I need to send?

Thanks.
---
Len Philpot
My Flickr photostream