Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

rainbow

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by rainbow »

S_Belle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 am
rainbow wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:26 am I can't use it because it won't stop importing multiple copies of old emails from Gmail - even mail that has been deleted. I don't even know where it is putting it but a little popup in the bottom right of my screen tells me what it is bringing in and even turning Google Sync off won't stop it importing hundreds and hundreds of old obsolete mail messages that I have deleted from within EPIM. Having deleted them, I looked in Gmail and couldn't find them so I assume the deletion carried across. So how is it still importing them- and WHY?

This is making a great program totally useless.
First question that'll be asked:

Is it POP3 or IMAP4?
I believe it's IMAP4. I don't really have much technical knowledge. I just expect software to work! I do know I can read my Gmail on multiple devices which I believe you can't do with POP3?
I can't close EPIM either. I have to use the task manager to end it because if I just exit it stays open and keeps on importing rubbish.
It's really disturbing because I have a lot of valuable data in there. I want to use the program, but I can't do anything when it won't stop importing junk. And I can't even find that junk in Gmail. It's been deleted already!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can still keep your Inbox clean by using filters and the archive feature, for instance. And you can also export emails into files.

As for the rest of your points - have no idea what you're talking about, unfortunately. A more detailed and structured description of the problem along with supportive screenshots in the support section of the forum would help us enormously. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
HerbertHL

Post by HerbertHL »

I liked Epim very much! I used from almost the earliest versions and less than 2 years ago I decided to get me the Pro licence.
But now, I don't like it anymore. Is it the difference between the free or pro version? It just doesn't work for me anymore.

The Tasks were a great asset. But now it is a mess. Already two tasks in as much months were forgotten, because they didn't show up.
If you don't assign them to a group, they are never visible in the Today window. And you can not prioritize which group you want to show.
No, I can not relay anymore on the Tasks.

The contacts were also a great help. But now it is a mess.
It has become so complicated that it became a huge task to configure a workable environment. You spend too much time for each group.
No, it no use for me anymore.

After all those years working with Epim, I am afraid I won't use it anymore in 2023. :? :? :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please elaborate more about why you think tasks are a mess? You say you missed couple of them, is that because they lacked reminder or it simply didn't work? What's a "group"? Tasks are usually shown in Today as long as they are going to happen in the next couple of days. And it woudn't matter which category (or a group?) they belong to. Although, you can always change that in Options.

As for the contacts. Same questions, basically. What specifically makes them complicated for you?
Thanks!
Lee S
Beta Team

Post by Lee S »

Good evening. I really do not like to knock such a great piece of software but unfortunately lately it just doesn't work as simple and good as it used to. Please note that I have been a dedicated user since 2005. That's 17 years. Recently with versions 10 and 11 I find more things that just either do not work or fail altogether. With version 10 I was unable to synchronize my tasks with Microsoft Todo. Never could get it to work so I moved on to synchronize with google tasks. This was after I uninstalled my 64-bit version of office and fell back to the 32 bit. After much trial and error, I finally went back to the 64 bit and used epim outlook sync. Now after upgrading to epim version 11.2, I see that the epim outlook sync was not upgraded as well to coincide with the epim upgrade. Doesn't work with the new version. I was also synchronizing the epim database to google tasks and now it has deleted the total task list I had up there. Initial view of my epim calendar showed multiple events. Finally figured that out when I noticed the local calendars and the calendars associated with google sync definition. I am expecting this is a similar situation with the tasks. Now I am 84 years old and have over 50 years of IT background. Mainframe, desktop, phone, etc. A program is supposed to be simple to use and understand. Also, it should just work. Please go back to the KISS theory that you initially started with. You had a great program.
Thank You
Lee S
Beta Team

Post by Lee S »

As a final effort, I have installed EPIM on my iPhone and will try to use the interface direct to the computer version from there. Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges. Then everything will be EPIM to EPIM. Hopefully, this will resolve any consistency problems. In the future I will fall back to doing what I should have done on any recent updates. Make a test copy and try myself before overwriting my live software and data. Thank You.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the feedback Lee, appreciate it. You can redownload and reinstall EPIM-Oultook Sync, it's going to work with the latest EPIM version.
Lee S
Beta Team

Post by Lee S »

I do appreciate the feedback and the Outlook sync download. Unfortunately, the sync didn't pull any tasks from my outlook file. This is a similar situation I have had with EPIM and Outlook or MS Todo. I believe it has to do with a business version of Outlook that I installed previously, and it had never got cleaned up somewhere. It is tied to my personal email all. Have tried to install on a separate machine. Unwilling to give up personal email address. I have fallen back to version 9.10.8.0 which does work and interfaces successfully with outlook sync 9.0. Guess I am stuck here until I can figure an alternative. Thank You
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Which settings did you use in EPIM-Outlook Sync for the right hand side part?
Lee S
Beta Team

Post by Lee S »

Good morning and thank you for the response. The attached image is from the version 11.2 outlook sync. It is the same as using the version 9 outlook sync with the version 9 EPIM DB which works successfully. I have circled in red the option I take to synchronize from outlook to EPIM.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-04 085323.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see thanks, will have a look at the problem and fix it. Please also create a separate topic in the Support forum if you'd like to get notified when the fixed version is released (in order to not clutter up this topic with support requests).
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Lee S wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:19 am Good evening. I really do not like to knock such a great piece of software but unfortunately lately it just doesn't work as simple and good as it used to.
I shall sue you for plagiarism of my thoughts. :wink:

I don't like the growing gap between a possibility of what it could be and the buggy reality getting more painful with nearly each update.
Bugs from nearly irrelevant to primary/ unique keys violation.
Very shame, as this could be a truly great software, I still would love to see it competing with MS, just don't have too much hope.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
prosas
Novice

Post by prosas »

Trinitylab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:59 pm ... growing gap between a possibility of what it could be and the buggy reality ...
I like "what it could be" very much.
I was trying. 4 years.
Tired. Just left EPIM.
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

With Epim I always have to fiddle around with it. I would like to work with it, but I am always busy to get things work, start new, delete and install synchronization. I am always working ON Epim not with it.

It’s a great tool, but there seems to be always something to do. Mostly hanging syncs. If it is email sending/receiving or sync with with iCloud or google tasks. They pop up and…. Nothing… waiting… What is going on? Cancel sync… it says, that is canceling but there seems to be nothing happening. Open task manager and kill Epim. Restart it. Hoping sync will work.
It does! Yehaw!!

Some hours later: sync window opens. Starting sync and…. nothing again.

Why am I doing this to me? It’s really frustrating. I want to WORK and enjoy Epim, not PLAY around, fix and fiddle around.

Please fix syncing with iCloud (calendar and contacts) and fix sync with google tasks.

OR: include reminders from iCloud to drop google tasks

OR: update essentialPIM for iOS. With calendar, contacts and reminders (or maybe Epim tasks, if reminders still have great issues). You’ve got the German language file from me, but there seems nothing happen.

The bottleneck on Epim is the connection to mobile devices! (Or do you prefer Android only? Don’t know).
Without proper mobilesync Epim is only half worth.

I am willing to buy a second lifetime license, if you will give me a really working Epim. Not only on desktop. (Where it does work very well. That’s true. And that’s why I am still with Epim. - yet…)

So please do you’re homework and give me a realistic roadmap.
From Exchange to Epim Pro with blood, sweat and tears.
English / Deutsch
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you encounter any issues using EPIM, please create a separate topic for each issue in the forum or contact our customer support via email. Our team will do their best to handle each report appropriately. Please note that simply stating that something is not working without providing any details, log files, or context will not help us effectively troubleshoot the problem.