Font size issue

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

EoinDubh
Guru

Font size issue

Post by EoinDubh »

With the install of version 11.2.1 All received messages are in a micro font. The main screen is fine as are the inbox listings but my old eyes are having trouble reading received messages. My default mail composing format is Times New Roman 12 pt. But I do not see anywhere to change the font of a received message.

Never mind-- I just figured it out but will leave this post here for anyone else who runs across this:
Put your mouse cursor anywhere in the received message and use the scroll wheel of your mouse to increase or decrease the font size.

Magic!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Font size issue

Post by admin »

You can also use the following shortcuts:
Ctrl + to make text bigger
Ctrl - to make text smaller
Ctrl + Shift + 0 to reset to default zoom level
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

Thank you.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

The font size in the new plain text email message is small. I can only enlarge it by holding Ctrl + scrolling with the mouse wheel, keyboard shortcuts do not seem to work. Annoyingly, EPIM does not remember this enlargement setting, so I have to scroll again every time I create a new plain text message.

Is not there a feature in EPIM that remembers the font size in the new text email message window? Or an option to set the font size for a plain text message, similar to an HTML message?
Attachments
EPIM_font_size.jpg
EPIM_font_size.jpg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's your scaling settings in Windows? There's currently no way of setting a plain text font size as its default setting normally works for anyone. Would also appreciate if you attach a screenshot with the 100% zoom level.
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

I have found that to increase the font size in an enail message body, at least in Windows 10, hold down the CTRL key and use the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the font size.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

EoinDubh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 pm I have found that to increase the font size in an enail message body, at least in Windows 10, hold down the CTRL key and use the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the font size.
Yes, I can do it this way, that is what I wrote, but it is not convenient (especially on a laptop without a mouse, with a touchpad) and I have to do it every time I create a report...
Last edited by DžejPý on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

admin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 am What's your scaling settings in Windows? There's currently no way of setting a plain text font size as its default setting normally works for anyone. Would also appreciate if you attach a screenshot with the 100% zoom level.
I have Windows scaling set to 125%. Setting it to 150% is unsightly.
I attaching the screenshot as it was taken, but I do not know why everything looks bigger in it than it actually is on the screen - that is why I made the image smaller last time. Font in the message text field is smaller than in the "Subject" and "To...".
Attachments
EPIM_font_size_full.jpg
EPIM_font_size_full.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will try to improve this by allowing the use of shortcut keys in similar situations.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

An idea (perhaps unworkable) - couldn't the font in the edit box for plain text be the same as in the "Subject" and "To..." fields? The font is larger and easier to read (sans-serif proportional).
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I don't think you want a plain text message to use proportional fonts as sometimes the writer is counting on plain text being plain text so that every character takes up the same amount of space, making a table-like display possible.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

I wouldn't mind that, I use proportional fonts wherever possible. It's easier for me to read.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Of course you wouldn't mind it. However, sometimes people choose plain text because they want plain text. They can get columns to line up or an ascii image to show they way they want. You can actually get columns like a spreadsheet to line up if all the numbers and/or letters are the same size. All I'm saying is that it would be a mistake to tell people they had plain text and then show it with proportional fonts. Or at least they'd get as many people upset by it as those who like it. The question is, why did the person sending you the email choose that font and should epim override their decision? I think it'd probably be a mistake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DžejPý, FYI keyboard shortcuts are now working in EPIM 11.2.4.
DžejPý
Novice

Post by DžejPý »

Thanks, it is a nice change.