Any plans for MDI?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

bobmac1547
Guru

Any plans for MDI?

Post by bobmac1547 »

While I love EPIM, I need my email to always be open in a window. Without EPIM operating as an MDI application, this is not possible AFAIK.

Please tell me there's a way to do this. Or else tell me that MDI is forthcoming.

Otherwise, I will have to use a separate Windows email client. :cry:
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Any plans for MDI?

Post by admin »

What's a MDI?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

MDI is Multiple Document Interface.

I think bobmac1547 is asking to have each module (or at least email) run in its own window when you have one occurrence of EPIM running. This way you could have email open and work in Notes, Calendar, or other modules concurrently. As it is, if you've been in Notes and want to check email, the email module becomes the primary window, replacing Notes.

The ability to open multiple notes simultaneously is similar to this, except MDI would support having each module open simultaneously.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

+1

My scenario for MDI is a bit different: I constantly jump between the Notes module and the Calendar module, having both open at the same time would save a lot of time (particularly when copy/cut and pasting between them). My partial work-around is to use sticky notes, but that can clutter up the screen with them. So having all modules operating in MDI could see a welcomed productivity boost. I have been using the Microsoft Outlook email client since the '90s, so I don't use the EPIM email module (I have nothing against it), so in essence, my email client is always on the screen with other EPIM modules, a virtual MDI of sorts.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the explanation and your thoughts, just wanted to be sure we were on the same page about MDI. You can already open notes in separate windows by double clicking on their names. As for the true MDI that would involve separate windows for individual modules, let's see if this suggestion gets more traction (as its implementation is quite a resourceful task) and if so will adjust priority for the feature accordingly.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

I think if this issue is posed to the larger EPIM community, you would find a resounding AMEN to the idea of MDI. Can you post a survey?

BTW, as a potentially resource-hungry workaround, can I run two or more instances of EPIM with the same database open? Or would that cause problems with database integrity? I certainly don't want to risk that!
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, you can create a new post say in the General section here in the forum and assign a survey to it. I'll make the post as sticky for sometime.

You can open and work with the same DB using different EPIM instances, as long as there's no mail involved. As that's the main reason we don't recommend doing that (sync with mail servers is quite a delicate task). Database integrity will in no way be compromised.