Vanishing WinEPIM calendar entries

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Scott McCairns
Novice

Vanishing WinEPIM calendar entries

Post by Scott McCairns »

Just recently updated to the latest version (Pro 11.2.5) and have noticed a rather major bug: all of my calendar entries disappear if I leave the program running in the background whilst I work.

I can force quit and restore to a backup DB file, but the behaviour repeats itself after a few hours.

Moreover, the size of the DB file after this event seems to be about 3 times larger than the unaffected backup files.

So far Cloud files seem to be unaffected, but perhaps I’ve just gotten lucky on that front, performing a force quit before a permanent delete there as well.
Scott McCairns
Novice

Re: Vanishing WinEPIM calendar entries

Post by Scott McCairns »

And now I can't even restore to a backup DB. ALL calendar entries are missing, even when opening a backup file from 3 days ago.

Anyone else having this problem?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is the very first report of its kind. Please check if the entries are available in Trash. What kind of synchronizations you have in EPIM?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Scott McCairns
Novice

Post by Scott McCairns »

It does appear that the entries are in the trash, though obviously I cannot verify all 1k+ of them.
However, this is still rather vexing behaviour since I was not the one to delete them.

To answer your question: sync via EPIM Cloud, but my local DB is stored and accessed via DropBox. This local copy now seems to be corrupted as well since I get that same missing entry problem when I open EPIM on another computer running v11.2.4

EPIM Cloud entries are still unaffected, visible and accessible via web portal as well as the Android app running on 2 different devices
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Almost impossible to tell more at this point, unfortunately. I think that entries might be affected by synchronization.. Although we need to know which one. What you can do is to create a new EPIM DB file, sync it with EPIM Cloud, get all your data from the cloud into the new file and then continue to use it from there.
Scott McCairns
Novice

Post by Scott McCairns »

I'm somewhat skeptical of this idea since the Cloud Calendar is both present and active/logged on during the problem (yes the calendar was checked,so entries were not simply invisible...this is not a code 1D10T type error).

To add to the mystery, I made another attempt at opening WinEPIM yesterday evening and the entries had reappeared as if nothing had happened, i.e. no entries seem to be missing, but again, impossible to verify all 1k+ of them). Shut the program down, which includes both an EPIM sync and an update of the DB in DropBox, and loaded again this morning. No apparent problems...all(?) entries visible.

I will post again if the bug reappears, but for now it is dormant. I realize that this is unlikely to be helpful for your engineers debugging efforts, but they should remain aware/vigilant nonetheless.

Let me know if log histories might be useful. If not, we'll class this as a "wait and see" problem
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I doubt logs would be helpful at this point as we don't really know which ones to check. I suppose the "wait and see" approach is the best one given the current circumstances.