Import collected addresses from Thunderbird

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

zkatai
Novice

Import collected addresses from Thunderbird

Post by zkatai »

I want to move my mailing from Thunderbird.
I have 5000 of collected email address, what I wanted to import to EPIM contacts.
I exported from Thunderbird as csv, and also in vcf format. Unfortunately I did not succeded with the import in either format. It seems, that the program freeze.

( I use EPIM on Win11 in Portable mode)

( I tested the vcf format import with 3 addresses, it worked fine)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Import collected addresses from Thunderbird

Post by admin »

How long did you wait for the import process to finish?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
zkatai
Novice

Post by zkatai »

I waited about an hour ( Thinkpad T14)

I split the databes, and I succeded importing smaller portions of the database ( importing vcard format)
I still no success importing csv format ( the program freeze after matching the source column to the target field , it freeze even with smaller part of the database)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please let us know the number of contacts in the smaller part of your database? This information will help us in replicating the issue on our end with approximately the same number of records.
zkatai
Novice

Post by zkatai »

When I do with 400 record, it works fast ( I get response in a few seconds )
With a larger database ( 1300 record) no response in 15 minutes
( these are not complex records - Thunderbird collected addresses : Name, email address - some of the reords are incomplete - no name only email address - maybe that causes issues)

( I can send you the the csv file in case you wan to test with that)

A progressbar would be a great help ( at least the user could see if there is progress - or the program freeze)

Is there any expalantion somewhere about the checking method for duplicate contact record ? ( what is the key ? Name, email address, telephone number ? What happens when merge ? ( the name is same, but different telephone number , different e-mail ? ) I wanted to test, but I did not found anything in the trash
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a progress bar that appears when importing contacts from a CSV file. We have not been able to replicate the issue with importing more than 5,000 contacts from a CSV file. Therefore, it would be helpful if you could forward us your contact list. There may be something in the structure of the file that is preventing EPIM from handling it properly.

We recommend running EPIM DupRemover (https://www.essentialpim.com/features/f ... dupremover) to check for and remove any duplicate entries.
zkatai
Novice

Post by zkatai »

To what address should I forward my CSV file ? ( yes, there is a lot of duplication, scrap record in the data, what I wanted to clean later....)

Thanks for the dup remover, it is a very useful tool. ( however I have not found the answares on my questions, what is considered duplicate item ? ( what fielads are examined) and also it is still a question, how the merge function works. ( I need to know it to effectively clean my contact data)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please use the following contact form to send us your CSV file: https://www.essentialpim.com/astonsoft/contact. Make sure to refer to this topic in your message.

Regarding duplicates, EssentialPIM considers a duplicate item as one that is similar to others. The app takes into account all the major fields when searching for duplicates.