Duplicates after direct sync - WinEPIM -> AEPIM

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
poet-man
Guru

Duplicates after direct sync - WinEPIM -> AEPIM

Post by poet-man »

Just as I recall it ...
yesterday had to do a direct sync of passwords including automatically deleting data on the other side.
After sync everything seemed ok.
Opening AEPIM today all password groups were there twice. One group with correct data in it, one group without any data. After manually deleting empty groups, everything seems to be ok again.
There seems to be some problem with direct sync, as I recently had a similar problem, only with sync the other way. Then (not sure I recall it correctly) groups were double as well in AEPIM, with identic data in each group.
Edit:
Seems the duplicates in groups were there in WinEPIM already (and I didnot realise yesterday). Created at an earlier date. As I definitely didnot do this myself, it can only have been done in connection to a direct sync. On which side and how, I donot know. But could be, this was an issue and has been solved in a recent release? If not, it will certainly come up again, as direct sync is done regularly.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Duplicates after direct sync - WinEPIM -> AEPIM

Post by admin »

In order to provide further assistance, we would need to see the sync log files. Please forward them to us. Thank you!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

This time, I cannot provide any files, as I realised the issue some time after coming into existence.
I will do next time
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

I can only assume that there are some peculiarities in either EPIM Win and /or Android local installations that cause problems with direct sync, as I have also had nothing but headaches with the process, but (Presumably...) Most users do not (or may people simply do not use Direct Sync???).

Latest example here: Prepping for trip, and decided to take tablet to save weight. EPIM Win already set up for 1 Way Sync, EPIM to Android. (Didn't work properly - ended up wit duplicates, or even Triplicates or greater for some entries - and across various dates (NOT Existing in Win database.).

Anyway, added the "Sync Deletions" option, which produces Warning "All data on android device will be deleted & replaced with data from PC EPIM."

This would be Great, as have spent HOURS cleaning up (some....) of the MESS in EPIM (Win) resulting from Duplicate (or greater) & Multiple dates from past syncs.

Connect - - - Fire Away - - - Check Android Tablet - - - NOPE: False Entries existing on the tablet, which have been removed from PC EPIM, STILL EXIST on the tablet.

On the brighter side, these were at least NOT replicated on the PC. (At least not in the 1 month view immediately on screen.)

Off for the wilderness for a couple of weeks, so won't have time to play around (alas, time is always a precious commodity around here!).

Simply a frustrated rant confirming that you are NOT alone in having problems with PC - Android Sync.

poet-man wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:48 am Just as I recall it ...
yesterday had to do a direct sync of passwords including automatically deleting data on the other side.
After sync everything seemed ok.
Opening AEPIM today all password groups were there twice. One group with correct data in it, one group without any data. After manually deleting empty groups, everything seems to be ok again.
There seems to be some problem with direct sync, as I recently had a similar problem, only with sync the other way. Then (not sure I recall it correctly) groups were double as well in AEPIM, with identic data in each group.
Edit:
Seems the duplicates in groups were there in WinEPIM already (and I didnot realise yesterday). Created at an earlier date. As I definitely didnot do this myself, it can only have been done in connection to a direct sync. On which side and how, I donot know. But could be, this was an issue and has been solved in a recent release? If not, it will certainly come up again, as direct sync is done regularly.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Oh: Just checked my Notes and Password modules: looks like all of the entries in those 2 have been Duplicated, similar to poet-man's experience.
Sigh.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Was it the newly created synchronization? If anything goes wrong during the sync process, we would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us with the log files. This will allow us to analyze them and provide more information.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@admin
Of course always would like to, which is my task!
Unfortunately, duplicates most times are detected some time after sync, so as to log files, it is most times not clear, which files to take.
Hopefully some quick insight into data will help next times, after direct sync, as it became clearer now, what issues to look for.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you notice any inconsistencies, please forward us all the log files you have at that moment, and mention a couple of names of the duplicates. We will be able to check and see if all the information we need is already in the logs.