Licensing Glitch with new Android device

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Dierk
Expert

Licensing Glitch with new Android device

Post by Dierk »

Purchased a new Android device and downloaded EPim (6.0.17) from Google Play Store.

Old device is running EssentialPim Pro 6.0.17

New device simply shows EssentialPim 6.0.17, with a button to "Upgrade to EssentialPIM Pro!"

Obviously, I would Prefer to simply transfer the existing android version to the new device, but see no obvious way to do so.
(Expected / hoped to find some soft of "Enter your user name / email address / Whatever... Here...")

Still, "clicked" on the "Upgrade..." button, ended up on an "Upgrade to ....." page with "Upgrade" button at the bottom.

FIRST SEVERAL TIMES I hit this page, the Upgrade button was 'grayed' out, and did not respond.

HOWEVER: the LAST time I clicked on the Upgrade button, a message popped up "Error: You already own this item."

OK: I agree - I already OWN this item. HOW do I go about TELLING the new EPim Android installation that I Own This Item???

Thanks!
PeCe
Guru

Re: Licensing Glitch with new Android device

Post by PeCe »

I assume you still have your licensekey that you entered on your old device.
If so, than on your new device follow these steps;
1 - Open the settings screen in the Android EPIM app
2 - scroll to the end and tap on ABOUT
3 - Now tap 3x short after each other on the EssentialPIM LOGO.
4 - A pop-up appears where you can enter the licensekey.
5 - After inputting the licensekey, confirm it with tapping on OK.
6 - When you now close and reopen Android EPIM, the program will run in PRO mode, that removes the "Upgrade to EssentialPIM Pro!" messages.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Thanks for taking time to reply, and I DID find the "3 taps" window. Alas, I cannot find any specific license key for Android.

STILL: Note that BOTH of my Existing Android Installations of EPim (Samsung tablet and a Note 9 - which is being replaced) show "EPIM PRO" under settings, AND when I DO try to "Upgrade to Pro" I get an ERROR MESSAGE: You Already Own This Item!"

Side Note: Neither Rebooting the note phone NOR uninstalling / reinstalling EPIM on the new phone has 'fixed' this issue.

I will open a Support request & hope for more clarification. (It's not as if $3.99 would be an Outrageous sum, but a) I already own it; and b) EPim won't allow me to pay from within the app (because I already own it!)...

Sigh.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please install the previous version of AEPIM from the provided APK file: https://www.essentialpim.com/download/o ... _5.8.7.apk and allow it to update. This should help resolve the issue. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Will GUESS that EPim v6.0xx must be Uninstalled BEFORE installing v5.8.7.

Downloaded 5.8.7 to phone, but it wants to Update existing EPim - which fails (not surprising - most apps won't update a newer version with an older one).
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

The Uninstall EPim - Install 5.8.7 - Update process did indeed work.
Alas, I somehow MISSED an Existing thread with numerous owners who experience the same problem. (my bad...)

Happily running EPim Pro 6.0.17 on my new phone. Now to Once Again Sync with Desktop.....