Database corruption issues continue

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

kb5cth
Guru

Database corruption issues continue

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

The issues of the topic < viewtopic.php?p=132317#p132317 > continue. Since it's out of BETA, I'm moving my discussion here. To encapsulate, monthly or so the database corrupts itself causing erratic program behavior; often to the point that the program becomes unusable and costing me countless hours trying to solve the issues.

Pardon my intervening silence, I've been away for several weeks without meaningful internet access...

Those issues have gotten much worse. I'm now unable to use EPIM with ANY database containing my old data. Recreating it with the sync tool doesn't help, it simply changes the errors I experience. In a single attempt to use the program, I experienced 4 totally different errors that:

-prevented me from syncing
-prevented me from downloading email
-mysteriously deleted all of my calendar entries (without using trash so they were totally removed from that database)
-refused to sync to google (trying to use google as a mitigation to the problem)

At that point, I spent about 4 hours loading Google Calendar manually and setting up Thunderbird so I could function.

I'm very familiar with EPIM's operation though and do not wish to totally abandon it. For now I'm using a nearly empty database just so I can check my email and have some basic calendar functionality.

You've told me on a few occasions that no one else complains of database corruptions and it must be me. Thus, what can *I* do to prevent frequent corruptions that cause erratic program behavior? What are long-time users doing to ensure proper operation of their databases? Do you delete past events and remove archive emails just to minimize the number of items in the database? Do you frequently run database management to keep the database clean and healthy?

Any help?

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Re: Database corruption issues continue

Post by admin »

The program handles what needs to be done automatically, typically no special procedures are required from the users.

Regarding the topic you're referring to, please review my reply to you in the same topic here: viewtopic.php?p=132323#p132323. Thank you.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I have done what you asked in that previous thread:
- Create a duplicate of your database file.
- Open the duplicated file with EPIM and remove all data.
- Optimize the database, exit, restart EPIM, and check if the issue persists.
- If the problem persists, archive the file and send it to us for further analysis.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the problems I encountered involved manipulation of data, so I can't reproduce those errors on a database that has no data. Regardless, I will send the empty database to you via PM for your inspection.

But still, I want to know what other users are doing differently than I am. Why do my databases ALWAYS eventually go corrupt when apparently no one else's do? This, on a machine that runs 2 other database programs daily with no issues ever.

Bill L
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

What are long-time users doing to ensure proper operation of their databases? Do you delete past events and remove archive emails just to minimize the number of items in the database? Do you frequently run database management to keep the database clean and healthy?
I have been using EPIM for years and have not experienced database corruption. I occasionally run into exception errors, but nothing that has corrupted the database.

As for my habits, I
  • Optimize the database through Database Management before I exit EPIM almost every time.
  • Archive messages occasionally when the database has grown significantly.
  • Synchronize the database to a new one generally after one or two major releases, or between releases if the database has grown significantly
I have three databases I use regularly. The one for mail and my calendar is 177.5 MB and the other two (primarily notes) are nearly 20 MB each. I access these databases on my local hard drive and copy them to OneDrive when I'm done updating. I used to access them directly on OneDrive, but as I recall, there were problems because OneDrive detected changes and continually tried syncing to the cloud.