Network Version Bandwitch Requirements

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

bobekk
Novice

Network Version Bandwitch Requirements

Post by bobekk »

Hello there i setuped Firebird server on my home pc that use winxp all working fine, but i have massive lag when i want to use my EPIM outside my local network. My line have 1 mb/s (126 kb/s) upload speed and i though that will be sufficient but looks like im wrong. When i want to browse my contact page in EPIM (i have 250 contacts with not extra data/pictures ect) i need to wait like 3 minutes...can anyone help me with that ? What is Requirements for upload speed to comfortable use EPIM over i-net ?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Network Version Bandwitch Requirements

Post by Max »

Hello,

it is not the bandwidth that is limiting you. It is latency, i.e. ping. Firebird sends a lot of small messages in a sequence, each of them requiring a reply from client. That's why if you have ping to the server bigger then, say, 20 it becomes difficult to use.
However, version 3.0 will use Firebird 2.x, which is much faster in this situation.
If you want, you can download FIrebird 2.x from here: http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op ... engine_212
Install it on your server machine.
I have attached zip file, which please unpack into EPIM client directory. Restart it.
Now EPIM should be using Firebird 2.x which should be much faster.
Attachments
EPIM.ZIP
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 339 times
Maxim,
EPIM Team
bobekk
Novice

Re: Network Version Bandwitch Requirements

Post by bobekk »

Hi Max

Thanks for reply. I did what u writed and its better, but still this isnt enough :( Ping to my server is now around 80 so that can be the case too, anyway i see this is goin in right direction. Is there anyway to increase size of packets that are transfered bettwen server and client ?

Btw can i test beta version of EPIM? i want to see how it goes with my 5 clients connecting in same time ?

Thanks Martin