EssentialPIM Pro 5.0 RC 3

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Max
Site Admin

EssentialPIM Pro 5.0 RC 3

Post by Max »

Hello everyone,

final version before release, RC 3 is here. Final realease will be made next week.
Here we have fixed all confirmed errors and bugs.
For Android version, search "EssentialPIM" on Google Play.
For iOS version, visit this page: EPIM for iOS

Download links:

EssentialPIM Pro
EssentialPIM Pro Portable

EssentialPIM Free
EssentialPIM Free Portable

EPIM Synchronizer

Fixed(in comparison to RC 2):
  • Letter bar in Contacts
    Attachment adding in Calendar and To Do
    Memotoo synchronization fix
    Undo actions
    EPIM Today separators
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM Pro 5.0 RC 3

Post by norsea »

In addition to the letter bar in contacts being fixed (very happy about that) I was hoping to see something done about the way contacts are listed.

Every entry I have for a business that does not have a first/last name associated with it is just shown in a very random order, rather than being shown in alphabetical order.

This happens when I have all of my contacts displayed in alphabetical order, by name. All of the Company entries that DO NOT have first/last name entries are shown such that is it beyond difficult to locate a company name.

Trying to list the entries without first/last names intermixes all of the entries and that becomes difficult to deal with due to all the blank lines where there are no company names.

I suspect that this is a function of Thunderbird and not EPim, but I don't know that.

But it is just one more example of the absolute NEED for the email program in EPim to be updated.

Come on folks, you have, potentially, the best PIM product on the market and it is being spoken about badly in many reviews because of the P-poor version of Thunderbird that is incorporated into it.

I am new to EPim and am overjoyed that it is now syncing with Android (among others) BUT, I''m not sure it is a viable tool for me if the email is not improved. I can only hope that others are providing similar feedback.

For what it's worth I have purchased the product and really, really want to use it on a daily basis but the version of the email that is currently on offer is about to drive me away. And, I cannot recommend it to others in my sphere of influence in its current state due to the lack of functionality in the email application.

Jim
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

When using Message Rules:

Create a new rule.

Move it UP

When it gets to be the top most rule an error message pops up and a window is opened for the error log to be emailed to errors@essentialpim.com

Select the send button.

Nothing, absolutely nothing happens.

This has been going on since Beta 3 when I first installed EPim.

When I try to copy the message in the window, as soon as I select any are of the body of the message in the window it is put behind the main EPim window.

The only way I can capture the data is to copy it when the initial error window is open.

I have sent several of these in but, apparently no one knows what to do, OR the info is not getting to the right person.

Jim, who has given up trying to copy and paste the info after having sent it in several times. It's just to cumbersome a process to do as much as I would have to every time I move a message to the top of the rules....
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Another Message Rules problem.

If Mail Account is selected in the creation of of a rule all of the contents are deleted when the rule is closed by selecting OK. The rule is created but it is empty.

If an existing rule has an additional rule added during an edit session using Mail Account as the premise, the line in the rule for Mail Account is deleted when OK is selected. The existing rules remain.

Jim
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I encountered a problem with RC3 and the iOS sync and emailed Max regarding the problem. However I found a link to the beta section here but can not repost the same problem here to see if others are having similar problems.

The problem is as follows.. I upgraded to RC3 on WIn7 x64 as well as installing the new iOS product. The sync seeme to go fine up to the ToDo then it eventually popped up a message saying "Please enter your master password for Password for Android". I am using an iPad2 5.1.1 JailBroken.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

norsea wrote: Create a new rule.
Move it UP
When it gets to be the top most rule an error message pops up and a window is opened for the error log to be emailed to errors@essentialpim.com
Thank you, reproduced the problem, will fix.
norsea wrote: Another Message Rules problem.
If Mail Account is selected in the creation of of a rule all of the contents are deleted when the rule is closed by selecting OK. The rule is created but it is empty.
If an existing rule has an additional rule added during an edit session using Mail Account as the premise, the line in the rule for Mail Account is deleted when OK is selected. The existing rules remain.
Please post a screenshot of how you select "Mail Account". So far I could not reproduce
jim999 wrote: The problem is as follows.. I upgraded to RC3 on WIn7 x64 as well as installing the new iOS product. The sync seeme to go fine up to the ToDo then it eventually popped up a message saying "Please enter your master password for Password for Android". I am using an iPad2 5.1.1 JailBroken.
Please open EPIM on iOS and go to Password module and setup the password. Then use the password to synchronize.

Regarding sorting in Contacts. You should sort on multiple criterias- on First name, Second name and then on other fields you need. You can sort on multiple criterias by holding Ctrl on keyboard AND clicking on column names.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Max wrote:
<SNIPPY>
norsea wrote: Another Message Rules problem.
Max wrote: Please post a screenshot of how you select "Mail Account". So far I could not reproduce
Tools>Message Rules

In the Message Rules window Select the Rule>Select Edit

In the Mail Rule window Select + to add a new Filter entry

Select down arrow on extreme left entry box that the Select + action opened; Select Mail Account

Center item is changed automagically to "is" - OK with me; I don't touch this

Select down arrow on extreme right filter box and Select email account to be used

The destination folder in the Select Actions area in the lower part of the window is untouched.

Select OK

Select OK in the Message Rules window.

Repeat the process to open Message Rules window and edit the filter just updated

The entry that was added is NOT there. It should be the third entry in the Mail Rule; only the original two are present.

I don't know what a screen shot of the window is going to do to help you and as a result I have not included it.

I can do that but I would think that the above description should be sufficient.

I have only four email accounts entered in the software are the minute. They all appear in the Mail Rule window during the process of selecting the email account to be filtered. I will be adding many more once I can get things working.

It would be a HUGE plus for me if you can add filters for cc and bcc to the Conditions for incoming messages. I have to believe that I am not the only one who would like to have more granularity to filter incoming email.

I also doubt that I am the only one who will be using many email accounts (I need 16 to just get started with EPim). I receive lots and lots of email and being able to sort it on arrival is absolutely critical for productivity reasons. Who has time to move every incoming email to a folder? Being able to automate this process is going to be an absolute requirement for EPim if you are going to grow sales and move into more business environments.

Hope this helps...

Jim
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

For message filtering you can look at TheBat! and see what's possible.
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

ypim wrote:For message filtering you can look at TheBat! and see what's possible.
What you have suggested is an email client that would be used in addition to EPim.

I already have several very good email clients that I have been using for years, and one that I have been evaluating for about a year.

The main reason I am interested in EPim is the combining of Contacts, ToDo items, Notes, Calendar EMail and Passwords in ONE application that is secure and can be synchronized with other devices on which the data can be secure as well; Android in my case. The encryption is something that makes EPim unique and a must for me. I spend much, much to much time running an encryption program on folders/files on my PC that will to be required with the encryption capability that EPim provides.

I purchased a copy of EPim to do the evaluation because my previous test drives had caused the temp license to expire. I have been interested in EPim for some time and I find it to be the "best of breed" for PIM's that run on Wondowz. The ability to sync to Androd has put me into full scale test mode to determine if I can do away with all the disparate software I have been using and get all that I need from one application. And, I cannot over emphasize the attractiveness of the encryption capability.

So, my goal is to do everything in my limited availability of time to test, test and test EPim some more to determine what is good, bad and ugly; emphasis on good. From what I have seen of the developers they are committed to producing a good, stable product. Like many on this board I hope to see the product just get better with time. At the minute it is moving in the right direction from my perspective.

So, from my perspective, the use of a separate EMail client is counterproductive when using EPim. If I am to do that I don't need EPim.

I believe the developers understand that they need to make changes to the EPim EMail application as evidenced by their soliciting input from their user community. I suspect, however, that the vast majority of their user community do NOT participate in this forum. As a result the input to their request for changes/wants/desires/improvements is only seen by a limited subset of their clients. Doing survey's for products is a task that requires some scientific method to be done effectively; this is one of the reasons the concept of "marketing" came into being.

Jim
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

When using the search function in the EMail application it is not possible to search through all of the items in EMail folders associated with one EMail account.

The search must be performed on every folder individually.

This makes no sense to me.

I have more MB's of EMail that goes back decades. A good search function will allow searches to be inclusive (everything in the specific account) or granular (a specific folder or set of folders to be selected).

I was amazed, no dumbfounded, to find that selecting the EMail account at the top a tree did not allow the search to run through all of the email messages in the account.

Surely this is a bug and not a "feature"?

Jim
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

norsea wrote:
ypim wrote:For message filtering you can look at TheBat! and see what's possible.
What you have suggested is an email client that would be used in addition to EPim.
You misunderstood me. :?
That was a suggestion for the epim-team. They can look at TheBat! what's possible - and make it better. :wink:
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Norsea, you can use Advanced search to search for emails.
And generally, all your suggestions are noted. However, while I agree EPIM Mail needs improvements, we do not plan to make any competition to The Bat or Thundebird in the field of email applications.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Max wrote:Norsea, you can use Advanced search to search for emails.
And generally, all your suggestions are noted. However, while I agree EPIM Mail needs improvements, we do not plan to make any competition to The Bat or Thundebird in the field of email applications.
OK, Thank You Re, the Search information. I had not seen that entry in the Tools Menu.

All I had seen was the Search bar and the pull down menu associated with it. My Mistake.

Personally, I want to see EPim be very successful from a purely selfish point of view. Once the email client is improved, EPim will be a tool that will help my productivity.

Anything that can improve my operating capability is a good thing and I am willing to spend money for it.

I know many people who will be watching to see how this goes. While their purchases will not make or break your business, they are potential customers.

I suspect that the vast majority of your customers come to you by word of mouth from existing customers. With the continued effort I see you putting into the product I suspect that your sales will only improve with time.

Thanks again for the pointer to the Advanced Search; I think this will do what I need.

Jim
norsea
Guru

New/Reply Email font....

Post by norsea »

Tools>Options>Mail>Default mail composing format

I have selected plain text and Century Gothic, 10 Pt.

When new messages are composed the font appears to be New Times Roman.

Same is true for replies.

Jim
norsea
Guru

Notes on Android...

Post by norsea »

I looked but could not find anything about this on the forum; hope this not a double post.

After sync with Android (two way -did not try single direction sync) any Note that has a table in EPim is not readable on Android; it appears that the format for the table is dropped as part of the sync process.

Links are also lost; the Language description is there but it cannot be selected; no way to know what the link is.

Jim