POLL: Version 6 versus version 7

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Version 7.0 or version 6.x, what are you using.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:10 pm

1- Upgraded to vs 7, likes it and stays with it.
13%
2- Upgraded to vs 7, dislikes the GUI, but stays with it for the new features.
20%
3- Upgraded to vs 7, downgraded to 6.58 (or less), because of UI-interface
58%
4- Upgraded to vs 7, downgraded to 6.58 (or less), because missing out some features
4%
5- Remains on vs 6.58 (or less) - please tell why?
6%

Total votes: 71

Nicole

Re: POLL: Version 6 versus version 7

Post by Nicole »

I was using version 6.58 and was having issues in the module Contacts. I have a hundred contacts and once in a while a contact name would change suddenly, without me noticing, for another name inside the database.
After contacting Astonsoft, they suggested that I upgrade to version 7.
Not only v. 7 was doing the same thing but it had other issues in the module Contact again. I'm explaining below:
I am using many custom fields. In the new version, when I wanted to delete a field, it would appear again the next time I open a contact or even the same contact. It's like I never deleted it...
You don't have the button "up" and "down" to put the field where you want it.
So, I came back to version 6 and will stick with it till those issues are not resolved.

I would really appreciate though to know if I am the only person having issues with the name changing. I use the contacts to follow up with many appointments date, etc. so I have to enter data every day. I put it in the main window or inside the contact itself. I don't know when the name suddenly changes, I notice it only afterward.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Nacole Wrote:
Postby Nicole » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:24 am
I was using version 6.58 and was having issues in the module Contacts. I have a hundred contacts and once in a while a contact name would change suddenly, without me noticing, for another name inside the database.
After contacting Astonsoft, they suggested that I upgrade to version 7.
Not only v. 7 was doing the same thing but it had other issues in the module Contact again. I'm explaining below:
I am using many custom fields. In the new version, when I wanted to delete a field, it would appear again the next time I open a contact or even the same contact. It's like I never deleted it...
You don't have the button "up" and "down" to put the field where you want it.
So, I came back to version 6 and will stick with it till those issues are not resolved.

I would really appreciate though to know if I am the only person having issues with the name changing. I use the contacts to follow up with many appointments date, etc. so I have to enter data every day. I put it in the main window or inside the contact itself. I don't know when the name suddenly changes, I notice it only afterward.

I have had this Name changing problem in several versions back. Could have been from the beginning. I have not been able to determine when or how it happens .
I think the name change happens when a Contact is edited or deleted.
justnosy

Post by justnosy »

I uninstalled V7 today. I could not read the calendar, my contacts were unusable, the fonts are too big and there is no way to change them. I am a EPIM Pro user on Win7. Guess this is where I have to put my stake in the ground: No more upgrades for me if this is EPIM's future.
PaulMSmith
Novice

Post by PaulMSmith »

Gotta say I agree the comments on the new GUI.
I can see what you are tying ot achieve. and that is good.
It just needs to be more space efficient and some more visual clues - The Flat Paper idea seems damn naff when I have 24millon colours.
Sheesh, where has imagination and visual ergonomics gone. The UI is everything to the user.
We want obvious not subtle.
I am looking forward to more efficient and slightly more colorful version soon.
Cheers - Paul
nath84
Guru

Post by nath84 »

I would like to vote, but I don't find where.
I'm trying Epim 7 on my second lap top, and I dont like at all the new interface, then I don't upgrade the laptop I'm working on because I like EPIM 6
some features in version 7 are interesting, but the interface make EPIM a bit sad and not nice, don't want to work on it.

someone could tell me how to vote ?

thanks
nathalie
nath84
Guru

Post by nath84 »

voted !
sorry I was not connected when I saw the poll, then connected it was ok !!!!

I have Epim pro portable.
PLEASE make new epim more colored, more happy and keep the new features.
why don't you keep the interface of version 6 with new features ?
the control panel on the top is a good idea, but the one on the left is absolutely ugly.
the calendar and Epim today are not so nice to see , I dont want to work with them.

I trust the EPIM team to make EPIM as nice , confortable and usefull as it has always been and that we can find with a new version the pleasure we have to work with EPIM .
I won't upgrade to version 7 till it is not nicer .

I trust you ;-) !
thanks !
nathalie
PaulMSmith
Novice

Post by PaulMSmith »

Don;t worry too much guys. Microsoft get is wrong almost every time but sort it out in the end. Just don't take too long meeting the challenge.
I work in CAD and GUI is everything - Less is MORE but it must be easy and obvious - intuitive is even better.
Screen real estate is still very very important. I run EPIM is the smallest Window I can get away with. V7 forces this to b e large - that is not good but I am sure can be remedied.
Stuff Apple - bring on the 'happy face' look - I love that idea.
Cheers
Croxley
Novice

Post by Croxley »

I have reverted to Version 6. I use a laptop. Not only did the whole layout of version 7, look 'cheap and nasty', but attempting to create a new appointment, was a nightmare.
I have used EPIM for years, and recommended it to friends, but no more. I am actively looking for a replacement PIM program.
How could you get it so wrong!
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Croxley wrote:I have reverted to Version 6. I use a laptop. Not only did the whole layout of version 7, look 'cheap and nasty', but attempting to create a new appointment, was a nightmare.
I have used EPIM for years, and recommended it to friends, but no more. I am actively looking for a replacement PIM program.
I'd say best to just hang back for a bit and wait for 7.1 before jumping ship just yet. The devs are listening and things are changing. If you hang around and give thoughtful well structured feedback you may wind up happier in the long run. A lot of other PIM's are pretty dead in the water development wise. So for most of them switching over from 6.58 offers little more then a change of scenery. EPIM is IMO the best actively developed PIM, which means with quality feedback and a helpful community it could very well become the very best over time.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

MetalDrop wrote:
Croxley wrote:I have reverted to Version 6. I use a laptop. Not only did the whole layout of version 7, look 'cheap and nasty', but attempting to create a new appointment, was a nightmare.
I'd say best to just hang back for a bit and wait for 7.1 before jumping ship just yet. The devs are listening and things are changing. If you hang around and give thoughtful well structured feedback you may wind up happier in the long run. A lot of other PIM's are pretty dead in the water development wise. So for most of them switching over from 6.58 offers little more then a change of scenery. EPIM is IMO the best actively developed PIM, which means with quality feedback and a helpful community it could very well become the very best over time.
I have been using some type of Personal Information Management (PIM) system since 1980. That started with adapting Lotus 123, the grandfather of Microsoft Excel, to be a PIM. Next, it was true PIM software, starting with MS-DOS SideKick, then Microsoft Windows Ecco, then Microsoft Windows MicroLogic and finally EPIM. That's over 35 years of using PIMs, and EPIM has been the best of the bunch. I say the best because overall, it's been the most flexible to date IMHO. Besides, try to find a PIM that also syncs with an iPhone or an Android phone app, there are just so few.

Like MetalDrop, I have been involved in the v7.1 beta program, and can happily report that the beta is far more usable than the v7.0. No, it is not a return to v6.x, but many of the objections of v7.0 are being addressed - you will be able to see these changes for yourself in the near future, so don't give up on EPIM yet!

Also consider this: I don't think that this forum has ever been censored by EPIM. One can see a lot of criticism of EPIM (and praise), which means the developers are being open and honest about things. Don't overlook the personal values behind any software development company like that.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
nath84
Guru

Post by nath84 »

I've been working with Epim since 2009 and I would never change for any one.
Epim developpers are always listening to us and always help us each time we need them :D
The same for Android developpers who are very réactive :D :D
I really enjoy working with Epim and I'm Just looking forward for the New v7 as soon as it is possible, that mean as soon as it is really "finished" : usefull, nice etc. with all the new features we are all waiting for.
Good luck Epim team :wink:
Nathalie
PaulMSmith
Novice

Post by PaulMSmith »

FYI: have been forced to revert to V6 Port -because of a problem with entering data in the Search bar which seems to end up editing User record ! First name in particular.
I could not figure out what i was doing but is so frustrating I gave up. I hope next version release solves that.
Cheers
pimpam
Novice

Post by pimpam »

Don't know what should be wrong with the new version? I like the new GUI and also the new features. Generally speaking this Organizer is one of the best overall (that doesn't mean there weren't things that can be improved).
Greetings
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

YES, I fully agree with other comments in this thread.
I have posted the comments below in a different thread back in June, however my post has unfortunately "disappeared" from this forum.
I decided to post them again in this thread, for completeness and in order to give the EPIM developers additional tips, what needs to be fixed.
Here they are again:
Version 7 is an absolute disaster, with several important features removed and some unwanted, useless garbage added to the interface.
I got very annoyed after "upgrading" to 7.0 and ended up reinstalling my old version 6.58.

Here is a short list why I absolutely hate the new version 7.0 (note that I only use the Contacts section, i.e. I have no idea what have been destroyed and spoiled in other sections of this program):

- Missing / deleted separate tabs for Contacts Business info, Notes, Picture and Attachments
- The new row listing existing attachments at the bottom of the screen takes unnecessary extra vertical space - waste of precious screen real-estate
- No longer possible to set in Options "show grid lines in main window" - this is essential for my requirements
- No longer possible to set in Options "show grid lines in preview" - this is essential for my requirements
- No longer possible to set in Options "show All tab"
- No longer possible to set in Options "show empty fields in preview for Personal/Business tabs" - this is essential for my requirements
- No longer possible to set in Options "Remember last active tab for individual contacts"
- Your new "concept" of listing the attachments at the bottom has another major shortcoming - it is no longer possible to add ANY new attachments to a contact that hasn't got any existing attachments - this is an essential requirement - the destruction of this special feature (i.e. removal of the Attachments tab) was the final straw which made me to revert to the older EPIM version
- The new Attachments Manager does not work properly and does not allow for adding new attachments to contacts - totally useless !
- It is no longer possible to properly manage the Contact Notes - the removal of the Notes tab is a total madness - why are you destroying your own program useful features ????
- the Contact Preview in v.7.0. includes a large, ugly image of a blank photo, which takes large amount of screen space inside the Contact Preview. I don't use contact photos at all and have no intention of ever using them. There is no way of removing this terrible, ugly, unnecessary addition in v.7.0. The same goes for the Contact main window. What was wrong with having a separate tab for the Contact Picture ? WHY did you kill it ?
- The inability to select "show empty fields in preview for Personal/Business tabs" makes it very difficult to manage existing contacts with some of the fields initially set to blank. Another useless oversight by your design team !
- The new preview layout appears to take more vertical space on screen - the old version design was much better, more useful and more user- friendly - another example of going backwards in your failed screen redesign efforts.
- The main Contact Edit screen no longer has the Move Up / Move Down buttons to re-arrange the order of field. Another useful, old feature destroyed. WHY, WHY you have done this ???
-There appears to be a bug when setting focus in the Search box while in Contact preview - when I start typing the search string, it adds that string to the currently focused field - e.g. First Name - corrupting the existing contact info. I had this problem repeatedly on several occasions in v.7.0. It never happened in the older version.
- On a couple of occasions, I have applied filter to one of the drop-down fields, then changed that field value to a different (not in filter) value and the program crashed with an error message in v.7.0. Again, never happened in the older versions.
- It is extremely difficult to manage the initially hidden (empty) contact fields in preview after upgrading to v.7.0. I have found it very frustrating and time consuming to manage those missing (hidden) fields.

It was an absolute joy to revert to the old version 6.58.
I am definitely NOT going to upgrade to your future EPIM version releases, unless you specifically address all of the above major concerns and issues.
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

P.S.
As a software developer, I find it incredible that the Astonsoft software company could spend the whole year messing around with their leading software program interface by removing key features and destroying useful user interface, only to make their users so unhappy and so frustrated.