POLL: Version 6 versus version 7

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Version 7.0 or version 6.x, what are you using.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:10 pm

1- Upgraded to vs 7, likes it and stays with it.
13%
2- Upgraded to vs 7, dislikes the GUI, but stays with it for the new features.
20%
3- Upgraded to vs 7, downgraded to 6.58 (or less), because of UI-interface
58%
4- Upgraded to vs 7, downgraded to 6.58 (or less), because missing out some features
4%
5- Remains on vs 6.58 (or less) - please tell why?
6%

Total votes: 71

Daikin
Novice

Re: POLL: Version 6 versus version 7

Post by Daikin »

Why is my posting gone??
I said that VueMinder (Ultimate) is the best Windows calendar app ever. You can even build/customize your own field with all options with the Ultimate version!
Since EPIM was focussed on e-mail (it's a PIM, not a e-mail client!!) they lost. Changelogs since introduction : e-mail this, e-mail that. E-mail that and e-mail-this. Losers! We have so much e-mail clients, its' NOT priority for a PIM!!!

Try VueMinder Ultimate: <link removed> and see the differences!!! It's just ... enormous.
And yes, I have a lifetime licence for EPIM, but no. Really, a shame!!! See it yourself. And support is outstanding. See changelogs.

For Mac-users: see BusyMac. Great tool!! Best for Mac-users.

And what about the EPIM iOS-app? Haha. Really a shame!!!! Maybe in 2005? But not 2016!!
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Daikin wrote:Why is my posting gone??
I said that VueMinder (Ultimate) is the best Windows calendar app ever. You can even build/customize your own field with all options with the Ultimate version!
Since EPIM was focussed on e-mail (it's a PIM, not a e-mail client!!) they lost. Changelogs since introduction : e-mail this, e-mail that. E-mail that and e-mail-this. Losers! We have so much e-mail clients, its' NOT priority for a PIM!!!

Try VueMinder Ultimate: <link removed> and see the differences!!! It's just ... enormous.
And yes, I have a lifetime licence for EPIM, but no. Really, a shame!!! See it yourself. And support is outstanding. See changelogs.

For Mac-users: see BusyMac. Great tool!! Best for Mac-users.

And what about the EPIM iOS-app? Haha. Really a shame!!!! Maybe in 2005? But not 2016!!
Not so fast, Daikin! You neglected to mention the deal killer for using VueMinder for many of us: it doesn't have an Android or iPhone cellular telephone client. That absence is a BIG DEAL for me. With EPIM, I can synchronize my entire EPIM database with my cell phone. Having done that, as long as I have my cell phone with me, I have all of my EPIM database where ever I am - without dependence on an Internet connection to find my way back to my PC running EPIM. This has improve invaluable for checking my food list needs in a supermarket, for technical information at a remote client site, for checking my schedule for a meeting - all without the need for an Internet connection.

Oh, no EPIM on a MAC? Then get a windows emulator like everyone does for many other Windows only programs.

In fairness, I don't use the email module for EPIM due to my own unique circumstances. But, a lot of EPIM users do - because of the integration of emails, contacts, notes, tasks, scheduling, etc. - works out very nicely for them.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

"Best" is always based heavily in personal opinion. Personally when I checked out VueMinder it was pretty unimpressive. it's a pretty okay Calendar but a pretty meh everything else and it's missing way to many feature... there are literally a dozen other PIMs with better feature sets for free or way cheaper. It's "ultimate version" is insanely overpriced for what it is, it's lite version is pretty much an insult and they charge you extra for portable!? That is one of the most scummy thing I've ever seen a small developing house do.

The amount of missing feature though is crazy, it's pretty much missing everything I use EPIM for. So for me personally I'd rate VueMinder around 1 1/2 stars. Really for the price I really can't even recommend it to people looking for a calendar reminder system. As their are much better alternatives out their for much lower prices especially if you can use iOS or Android, and if all you are doing is calendar and reminders a basic android device is pure awesomeness price:feature.
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

Max, why my posts are disappearing from your forum ???
Do you censor them somehow, because you don't like what I said about failed version 7.0 ?
Several of my posts have "gone missing" from this thread and also from another thread titled: "Just upgraded to to version 7 and I hate it".
If your company does not like the critique from the users, please say so and I will stop wasting my time trying to point out the problems with your software upgrade to version 7.
Please explain.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

mariofb wrote:Max, why my posts are disappearing from your forum ???
Do you censor them somehow, because you don't like what I said about failed version 7.0 ?
Several of my posts have "gone missing" from this thread and also from another thread titled: "Just upgraded to to version 7 and I hate it".
If your company does not like the critique from the users, please say so and I will stop wasting my time trying to point out the problems with your software upgrade to version 7.
Please explain.
Mariofb: searching the forum on your username brings up your posts...long posts. Try doing this yourself and please report back.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

Max: I have done the advanced search and my posts appear to be still there. The problem is, they are not visible within each of the threads I have posted them to.
For example, my two posts from yesterday in this particular thread "POLL..." are not visible. Why ? Since they have been added to this thread only yesterday and are the most recent ones, they should be visible to all others. I cannot see them today and presumably others cannot see them also.
Is there a problem with the way your forum posts are displayed ? Or do I miss something ?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

mariofb, none of the posts of mariofb user were deleted. Please do following:
- log out from from EPIM forum
- clear cache of your browser/use another browser
- restart the computer
And you will see all your posts. We will not be deleting posts because of healthy EPIM critique. However, we may start deleting posts if they are not relevant to the discussion (like posts about "missing" posts), or promote competitive products.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

Max: Thanks. Found them now. Appreciate your prompt response.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mariofb, I'd recommend you to try out the new 7.1 Beta version first, before posting your feedback about the 7.0 version again. There's some noticeable interface changes that you might like. Also, let me note that none of the features were removed from 7.0 comparing to 6.58. Now, let me address your points:
Missing / deleted separate tabs for Contacts Business info, Notes, Picture and Attachments
This is by design and in order to unify Android EPIM and Windows EPIM interfaces. This is how it's going to look like in the future versions of Win EPIM, less tabs with all the info on one screen.
The new row listing existing attachments at the bottom of the screen takes unnecessary extra vertical space - waste of precious screen real-estate
Thanks, noted.
No longer possible to set in Options "show grid lines in main window" - this is essential for my requirements
Available in 7.1.
No longer possible to set in Options "show grid lines in preview" - this is essential for my requirements
We might introduce this feature if we receive more similar requests from the users.
No longer possible to set in Options "show All tab"
There's no tabs anymore.
No longer possible to set in Options "show empty fields in preview for Personal/Business tabs" - this is essential for my requirements
As I mentioned earlier, there was no tabs. However, if we receive more requests from users asking to show all the empty contact fields in preview, we might add this feature in the future.
No longer possible to set in Options "Remember last active tab for individual contacts"
Again, there's no tabs anymore.
Your new "concept" of listing the attachments at the bottom has another major shortcoming - it is no longer possible to add ANY new attachments to a contact that hasn't got any existing attachments - this is an essential requirement - the destruction of this special feature (i.e. removal of the Attachments tab) was the final straw which made me to revert to the older EPIM version
You can add attachments easier now, by simply dragging and dropping them into the preview window. No need to switch tabs.
The new Attachments Manager does not work properly and does not allow for adding new attachments to contacts - totally useless !
It works for us. Please record a video, if possible, showing what's not working on your side.
It is no longer possible to properly manage the Contact Notes - the removal of the Notes tab is a total madness - why are you destroying your own program useful features ????
The notes functionality is still there. What do you mean by saying "properly manage"?
- the Contact Preview in v.7.0. includes a large, ugly image of a blank photo, which takes large amount of screen space inside the Contact Preview. I don't use contact photos at all and have no intention of ever using them. There is no way of removing this terrible, ugly, unnecessary addition in v.7.0. The same goes for the Contact main window. What was wrong with having a separate tab for the Contact Picture ? WHY did you kill it ?
Easier for people using images to have then on the same page, without a need to do additional clicks. If there's more requests from our users, we might add a new option to hide the contacts pic.
The inability to select "show empty fields in preview for Personal/Business tabs" makes it very difficult to manage existing contacts with some of the fields initially set to blank. Another useless oversight by your design team !
We've covered this already in one of the above quotes.
The new preview layout appears to take more vertical space on screen - the old version design was much better, more useful and more user- friendly - another example of going backwards in your failed screen redesign efforts.
Improved in 7.1.
- The main Contact Edit screen no longer has the Move Up / Move Down buttons to re-arrange the order of field. Another useful, old feature destroyed. WHY, WHY you have done this ???
Fields are grouped based on their purpose. You can still re-arrange fields within groups.
-There appears to be a bug when setting focus in the Search box while in Contact preview - when I start typing the search string, it adds that string to the currently focused field - e.g. First Name - corrupting the existing contact info. I had this problem repeatedly on several occasions in v.7.0. It never happened in the older version.
Unable to reproduce, unfortunately. Please make a short video demonstrating the problem, if possible.
On a couple of occasions, I have applied filter to one of the drop-down fields, then changed that field value to a different (not in filter) value and the program crashed with an error message in v.7.0. Again, never happened in the older versions
Unable to reproduce, unfortunately. Please make a short video demonstrating the problem, if possible.
- It is extremely difficult to manage the initially hidden (empty) contact fields in preview after upgrading to v.7.0. I have found it very frustrating and time consuming to manage those missing (hidden) fields.
Covered already.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
LarryW
Guru

Post by LarryW »

I would like to try out beta 7.1 but where can I find it? I don't have time to be a beta tester so signing up isn't an option.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have sent you a PM with download instructions.
mariofb
Novice

Post by mariofb »

Could you also please email me the download instructions for beta 7.1
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Done (via a private message).
LarryW
Guru

Post by LarryW »

admin wrote:I have sent you a PM with download instructions.
Thank you. The only two things that stood out to me that I hope you'll offer options -
1. Gray lines separating days, hours, etc in calendar. I personally prefer either a darker gray or black lines. And that's not factoring in my eyesight. Related to that is the gray text in Contacts information field names.
2. No alternating color in lists such as Tasks (as is in 6.58). They are needed to easily read across the screen.

I primarily use Calendar, Notes, and Contacts so I can't comment on the other modules such as Mail.

Other than those two major issues for me 7.1 beta is nicer than 7.0.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LarryW, thanks for your thoughts.
Please mention which background color you use in calendar. Regarding gray text in contacts and alternating color - noted.