email rules and folders

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

grixit
Novice

email rules and folders

Post by grixit »

Windows 10, version 1701, 64 bit home
EPIM Free ver 7.52

I have 3 email accounts. I want to sort my email by topic, regardless of its source. So for instance, i get email newsletters from various political organizations through one account but i get posts from political facebook groups via another. I have a folder named Politics with subfolders for each group, but i have to put them under one of the accounts. This works but i'd rather not have to do it that way. So what i'd like to know is if it is possible to create a folder structure in the email module that isn't connected to any of the accounts? Failing that, is it possible to create a null account, one that has no server info, just a name?
Max
Site Admin

Re: email rules and folders

Post by Max »

Hello,

if the mail accounts you are using are POP3 accounts, you could use "Global Folders" feature: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/addin ... sub=global
If you are using IMAP, however, that's not possible.
As regards your second question- you can create a dummy account with invalid credentials and turn off automatic mail check for it in Tools-> Account Settings-> Edit-> Advanced
Maxim,
EPIM Team
grixit
Novice

Post by grixit »

Thanks. Sadly, all my accounts are imap.

New question. When i move a folder, sometimes its subfolders go into the trash folder and i have to pull them out one at a time. This is very difficult because it often takes several tries to get a folder out of the trash and then it usually doesn't go where i'm trying to put it the first time. Am i missing something?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

grixit wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am New question. When i move a folder, sometimes its subfolders go into the trash folder and i have to pull them out one at a time. This is very difficult because it often takes several tries to get a folder out of the trash and then it usually doesn't go where i'm trying to put it the first time. Am i missing something?
I could not reproduce this issue. Can you make a video of the situation or provide some screenshots, demonstrating the problem.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
grixit
Novice

Post by grixit »

I will do so if it happens again.
plp
Novice

Post by plp »

I had the same concerns so I followed the suggestion to create a dummy email account but there is no "automatic mail check" option, to turn off, under advanced. I left all the "check for messages" options unselected but now when I do a mail check the programs still includes the dummy account and asks for a password.
Since the rule setup does not have an "alert option" I need to be able to see certain emails ASAP, when they come in, and then file to folders.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Go to Tools-> Account settings, select account, click Edit-> Advanced-> Check for messages every... this is the setting "automatic mail check"
This account will still be checked for mail, however, if you manually start checking for email e.g. using Tools-> Send and Receive commands.
I would suggest to set up other mail accounts to check every minute except this one, so that you do not need to do manual check.
Maxim,
EPIM Team