POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What three options do you like most ?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

- Spam filtering, with white and black listing and move those messages to a spam or trash folder - DONE
20%
- Block the preview pane and by that NOT loading e-mails unless opened or needed for the preview pane. - DONE
6%
- Option to block loading remote content (mostly pictures) - DONE
8%
- Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules) - DONE
24%
- Mark messages (for remembrance or as spam) - DONE
7%
- Threading e-mail messages - DONE
11%
- Option to apply column changes also to all other accounts/folders - DONE
5%
- General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail.
4%
- Timed e-mails, so you can set a time and date for sending out the e-mail in stead of immediately - DONE
5%
- other (1,2,3,4,5 as described in the first message or other own suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 279

quard

Re: POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Post by quard »

Trinitylab wrote:
norsea wrote:functionality that is at least EQUAL that that which MS products and Thunderbird (which is free) offer should be something that is considered;
So far Outlook and Lotus are the most common business tools, pity to say. Especially when in Win8 I found this [#@$!] Windows Live Mail, which is uncomparable to old but extremely easy and reliable Outlook Express.
I would love seeing EPIM, Estonian company raising into serious business communication provider, really. It is always fantastic when someone kicks Big Brother's bottom. :)
Yes, Yes, Yes! Mail module is the weakest link. Copy all U can from Tbird and I will switch to pro. Now I dont now what to do. I dont want to use 2 apps to mail and organizing .
Telemacus
Novice

Post by Telemacus »

Personally, I would get rid of email in essentialpim. Nothing can beat gmail (and others, I guess), and it works and syncs beautifully in all devices.
I think a good PIM should stick to things it can do really will and not try to compete with billion dollar giants like google.
I know of other software makers whose demise started when their pim tried to do too many things, instead of sticking to things it could compete with.
Just my opinion...
philwill

Post by philwill »

I don´t think you are right. E-mail just fits very fine in this program, also it is indeed weaker than the other parts of it.
I would suggest the following things to improve:
1. I am used to save my sent mails non in the "sent"-folder, but in the inbox. Would it be difficult to make this possible?
2. I would like to give colors to my different e-mail-accounts. So one can get better overview.
3. It would also be great if it was possible to create a task out of an e-mail.
Best regards
philwill
idesigns

Post by idesigns »

Hi,

I am SO GLAD to have come across this program, it is EXACTLY what I need (including having email in the app, I hate using gmail for business).

The one big improvement I would add would be a right click option to "delete from mail server now". Currently if you have the settings to keep all mail on the server deleting a message doesn't remove it from the server it only removes locally which is fine, but the ability to select specific messages that should be removed from the mail server is a feature I've had in other email applications (the very old and outdated Courier for example) and have found quite handy.

Side note 1) I do see that you are working on PGP in the beta pro 5.8 version and I am looking forward to the bugs getting fixed (mine are not decrypting, shows an error). Thank you for realizing the need :)

Side note 2) Would love to see email included in a version to run on android tablets!

Sincerely,
Terri
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello Terri,

thank you. Your suggestions noted.
Regarding PGP errors- in order to fix it, we would need more information from you. Unfortunately, the errors do not fix themselves on their own:)
Did you generate Key pare in EPIM, or you imported private/public keys?(from which program?) Some certain messages are not decrypting, or all messages?
I need as much information as possible in order to reproduce the problem.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
idesigns

Post by idesigns »

Hello :)

I could not get the keys to import into EPIM

Admittedly the RSA keys were generated years ago using one of the PGP versions available before Norton? had taken it over (PGP 5 maybe?), but I use them on a regular basis and they still work with the version of PGP I have on my old laptop: PGP Desktop 10.1.0 (Build 860) PGP SDK 4.0.1

If it is helpful, when an encrypted message gets created and sent to me from my website, this is at the top:
Username: me
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (GNU/Linux)

PGP on the laptop decrypts it but EPIM (on Windows 8) just shows the message "Decryption Failed"

If you need another other information from me please let me know!
Thank you,
Terri
Thothie
Novice

Post by Thothie »

This is the only e-mail client I have that can handle all my accounts and my gigantic hotmail account, thus I am stuck using it, and given that ability, I shouldn't complain, but there's been a dozen patches since I started using, and I've yet to see:

• Ability to block images (as a result, my spam has increased 10x since I started using this)
• Ability to blacklist on right click (at all, let alone by domain)
• Filters that work reliably
• Filters that don't reset their account indexes when re-opened

Seems most of these wouldn't be hard to implement (hell, if this was open source, I woulda done some of these myself), so I'm not sure what all these patches are doing.
seoadam
Novice

Post by seoadam »

The new system e-mails (appearance).
Example:

*was used to write the google translator
norsea
Guru

This poll has been running since December, 2011....

Post by norsea »

Hi,

I know this will sound a bit contrary; please understand that that is not my intent.

But having said that, I have to ask what is the point of asking the same questions for four (4) years and basically doing very little with the suggestions people have put forth?

Seems to me it is well past time for the EPIM E-Mail module to receive some serious attention for upgrades.

Or, remove this thread/poll if none of the suggestions are to be implemented. It is very frustrating to sit and watch people respond in good faith and see no action taken.

Regards,

Jim
DoctorBrown
Experienced

Post by DoctorBrown »

I can totally appreciate that Essential PIM has all this organizational functionality in one place. I can also appreciate having my full contacts list integrated with my email client.

However, I am in Jim's camp on this and all the others in thread that suggested other clients or software bases. I'm a new user of EssentialPIM so I don't have knowledge of how much has been improved in the email client since this thread was started over 3 1/2 years ago. But from what I see today, Astonsoft has a very long way to go to get even close to the functionality that other Email Clients have now. Just take a look at Mozilla ThunderBird. I believe that it already has most of what users are asking for here.

I wonder if there is a way to either have EssentialPIM launch and integrate with Thunderbird (or other email clients), or have a Thunderbird add-on that can access the EssentialPIM Contacts DB. I would snap up that type add-on in a heartbeat.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello guys,
thank you for the feedback. We have no intention nor resources to become Thunderbird replacement. EssentialPIM is much more than just a Mail module.
Next version, 6.5, which is currently in Alpha testing features a lot of new for Mail module.
Let me give an update on some Mail features listed in the Poll:

"Threading e-mail messages"- will appear in 6.5
" General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail."- will appear in 6.5
"Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules)" - Tagging- most probably will be implemented in next version after 6.5. Already writing code for it.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
DoctorBrown
Experienced

Post by DoctorBrown »

I am using the Pro version and I am certain that this will be my long term PIM for me. I wholly agree that EPIM is much more than a Mail Module. I am glad to see development effort on this module. These new features will help greatly to improve the module. I'm just not convinced that it would have strong enough features to induce me to move to this client.

Especially, as I posted in a Support discussion that I must have the ability to turn off the automatic loading of images:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14340&p=70422&hilit ... oad#p70422

That is a deal breaker for me. I don't think I'm alone in this sediment.

I look forward to seeing continual improvements in this great product.
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Great news that there are some requested improvements are appearing, hopefully soon.
The requested mark messages has been implemented, if a few more are implemented than we finally can close this poll. :)
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello guys,
regarding blocking of automatic loading of images in Email module. We are thinking about this and I have a question:
Your replying to it will help us move forward with this feature.
For example, we have only one setting- download or do not download remote image

when loading remote images it turned off- should be we still download attachments (if they are attached)?

Just a clarification- if loading remote images/attachments is turned off- you can always download it for each message individually.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mattz
Guru

Post by mattz »

I would prefer granular control... one setting for remote images, another for attachments...